1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Volvo reveals advanced energy storage technology

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zhenya, Oct 17, 2013.

1. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hyo silver likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well maybe the 12V batteries will last longer.

Bob Wilson

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder where the stored energy goes to in a crash event? Repelling the other car/object?

krmcg likes this.
  4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Crash into the panels and let the + contact the negative and what happens? Think of the warning about working on a hybrid battery because of the stored energy. Or think of the potential problems as a first responder approaches to get you out of the car.....

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Solar is typically under 1 V and even configured for series, there is little advantage in going over 48 V unless you 'like the tingle.'

Typically a solar installation will feed a battery management circuit that is only 'one way' from solar panel into battery. So there is little to no risk.

Bob Wilson

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

This is a non-metalic super cap structure. If you crash into a metal object and hit the leads, it would discharge into that object. If its a car it likely would go in the metal outside. If you don't hit the leads it would lose capacity.

I don't see how this would make cars less safe then they are currently, but repairs of panels would not be possible, you would have to replace any damaged cf panel, which would make insurance more expensive.

7. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Given Volvo's historical obsession with safety, I would fully expect all issues to be considered before these would ever make it to production.

Scorpion and austingreen like this.
  8. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    130km of range?

That's pretty good if it's the AER on a PHEV........not so much if it's an EV.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That simply is from super caps in part of the structure, that is likely lighter and safer (but more expensive) than steel. You still could add metal air, or lithium batteries for longer range as part of the chasis as is done in ford transit connect, tesla S, rav4 bev, i3. This would fit well in tesla's hybrid battery architecture in the latest patents. The capacitors in the body structure could charge extremely fast, and the other longer range (but not used as often) battery would charge slower.

The main drawback of this technology is cost, but it does solve the bulk (volume) problem of super caps. Imagine if you could simply upgrade mg2 in the prius phv, and add this cf/capacitor skin to a prius while removing the limh battery. It would lose over 100 lbs, but handle regen braking better, accelerate better, handle better and have, I'm guessing a 35 mile aer range if you choose to plug it in.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hmm....ok, I guess I'd like to see how the cost compares to standard carbon fiber.
    When it comes to automotive materials, I'm guessing the hierarchy is:
    - lightweight steel
    - magnesium alloys
    - aluminum
    - carbon fiber
    - capacitive skin

This may make a lot of sense in higher priced cars. Why bother with carbon fiber or aluminum? This material not only saves weight, but also adds power
    I am still concerned that they work out safety issue not only involving collision, but also fire....given Volvo's safety record, though, I am sure they wouldn't release it unless it was rock-solid safe.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Amazing work. This is tech that approaches science fiction. I hope it can make its way to market.

markabele and hyo silver like this.
  12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of science fiction, Clarke's third law seems apt..."Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :)

Yep! I vacillated between science fiction and magic ;)

hyo silver likes this.
  14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Solar cell fabric would be very useful, too. Imagine the combination - materials that both capture and store energy.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

They are working on solar "paint" that could be put on top of materials. It would not be very good for car bodies, but may be quite a great way to build a solar roof on a house or building.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Solar cell material for sails would be great, too....harnessing energy in more ways than one.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    being a sailor, I would not like to change material and make sails heavier. Solar decks on tankers (large surface area, slow speed) are one place people have talked about.

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Isn't this body panel as battery and not solar panel?

BTW, solar panels are often used on modern yachts to reduce the time the generators have to run both for fuel cost and noise reasons. Imagine you are anchored out and you need refrigerator power to chill the wine.

And does the current Volvo company have the same safety focus as the older one?

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but hyo was thinking about other places materials could be dual use.

We just use a big battery, charged at dock ;-) on the sailboat. I do have a trolling motor for docking, and incase the wind dies.

idk, but I assume that safety in modern cars keeps getting better. Telsa fire, did demonstrate to some batteries might be more safe than gasoline;). cf super caps should be even safer than lithium batteries, but cars when used improperly just like a chain saw can cause injury or death.

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly. Thank you.

If I may be so bold as to derail the thread for another few nanoseconds...it seems to me that some lightweight materials are very good at holding a static charge. Could this be exploited for use in capacitors?

And to bring the conversation more on-topic, what is it about a material that makes it good for storing electricity? The article mentions long fibres, and if that's the 'trick', then maybe hemp would also be a good candidate. It's certainly cheaper and less damaging than carbon fibre. I forget at the moment what the new name for
    'Buckminsterfullerene' is, but it also has long fibres and a high strength-to-weight ratio.