1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vote on the Location For Our First Meeting!!

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Aug 3, 2004.

?
  1. Anderson Park in Redmond

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. XXX Burger in Issaquah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Red Robin in Bellevue Square

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Friends with really big trucks and vans are awesome for moving. I have helped friends move, but never myself moved (still working on that...stupid high cost of living here).

2. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

You know, I was gonna ask about this in a future post... obviously it'll be different people at each end since we're talkin like 1200 miles here, but... is it common to tip any combination of the packers/unpackers or the drivers if you do a professional move.

Keep in mind I work in a restaurant people, so I'm ALL about tipping people well
    Ex: Do you all know that you're supposed to tip a MINIMUM $1 per drink to the bartender if you sit at the bar, a minimum $4 per $50 of to-go orders and 15% is actually a MINIMUM tip to your food server(unless they really and truly were GOD AWFUL) Oh, and it's server, not waiter/waitress (the girls I work with get PISSED when you say waitress, It's like saying stewardess instead of flight attendant)

But do you tip services like THIS? I mean I haven't called yet but you're talking people that are going to be paid HUNDREDS of dollars to lift some boxes (and yes, a few heavy and/or awkward items) into a truck, and they're done. Had it been the same people both ends, no doubt. I would have either tipped or gone to a grocery store and gotten some party platter type stuff and some beers but... When it's different both times?

My plan with my friend (I found someone, the first one I asked actually, YAY) is that we cover all the gas, the truck cost, and when we get there we'll either give him $100-150 or so, OR pay for lodging if he wanted to hang in Seattle a couple days. Depending on the costs he said he'd then be fine either driving the truck back OR doing a 1 way rental and we'd cover a flight back (may ask if they have a supercheap Seattle to Vegas thing or something if he'd want a friend to pick him up) Typical Seattle to ANY of the LA area airports is a MINIMUM $280

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    tipping because its expected is something i dont do.

i tip when i feel the person providing the service has done their best to make me feel comfortable or has demostrated either talent, efficiency, or knowledge and professionalism in his occupation.

i dont know what you consider is conveinent but there used to be very cheap flights to several LA AREA airports. John Wayne used to be $109 one way for reg priced ticket. Ontario, $89.

the prices spiked a few years ago, but they have come down. i used to travel extensively for my job and overnight flights took 80% of my time. for most of the jobs i did, LAX was not conveinent as most jobs were in the outlying area anyway. im pretty sure those prices ARE NOT SA flights or standbys.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a suggestion for a meeting date and place for next spring. Lacy and St Martins College does a annual electric car race and alternative fuel / eco rally. I don't have times or dates for next year but I will take it upon myself to find out. Last year a bunch of high schools, college teams had entries in the race and Honda, Toyota were there with cars. Folks doing bio diesel were there. It was not huge but nice. I was a bit embarrassed to drive my Explorer to the event so I parked away and walked in. It was nice. If we could get a fair number of Washington Prius owners and Oregon and BC to come it would be a kick. Prii (both i's pronounced according to my brother in law the classics major and I will defer to anyone who spent four years studying Latin and ancient greek) There is a park and we could have a "booth" or something and a picnic. There is nothing that can not be cooked in a dutch oven. As I remember it was in May or so. What do folks think?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great idea!!

i know of what you speak and it would be a perfect place for a meeting!!

definitely let us know when the time is near.

6. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Never heard of it, but I'd be all over it in a heart-beat! Sounds like an absolute blast! :multi: :clap:

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

sounds like something I'd like to do! count me in.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    St. Martins is a small private college run by a bundle of monks.

9. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Monks? Really? Nowonder they'd host an electric car rally... Electric cars are quiet! lol! :lol:

Man, I'm so digging the idea of this rally. I really hope my Prius is here by then.

10. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok I have got a name of the coordinator in the Lacy, Parks Dept but she is out till the 23 I will call her then and up date everyone. As I remember it was in late May before school was out.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ok I had a nice chat with Kathleen Burns at Lacy Parks. She is interested in getting a Prius herself!! The city has a 01 or 02 that she gets to drive. We discussed hybrids, bio deasil and the relative merits of each. The Electric car races and alternative vehicle fair will be May 7 or 14 of 05 and she has me on her calender for January to "firm it up". So pencil the dates in and I will keep you posted. She is very excited for us to come talk to people and tell them about our cars, and answer questions.

12. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sweet! :multi: I'm penciling it in my callendar now. This will be so much fun. :mrgreen:

13. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    brad's move

hey brad, since you have found someone to drive the truck to washington for you, why not try to set up a priuschat gathering at both ends to help you move? the people here are all very helpful, and might be willing to help you if you have all the boxes and packing material available. you might be able to bribe, ...er... convince these wonderful people to help you if you offered pizza and pop (or beer, for those that won't be driving) at both ends.

just a suggestion, not even sure if you have time to set this up!

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm that might be a thought... our first meeting could be at Brad's house for an unpacking party??

15. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Re: brad's move

Sounds good to me. It'd be pretty hard to arrange something at the Cali end, but would be thrilled if you guys would want to help. I can buy so much beer and soda and pizza you never want to see it again.

Lots of the boxes have been in stoarge for a long time and we'll have to slowly go through them, but if nothing else just getting all the crap out of the moving truck. We really could use the help. The people driving it up, we plan to arrive the night of the 9th and they fly back the night of the 11th. There are a couple huge items too.

I think it would be cool to have a Prius meet at the new condo. You guys have been hearing so much about it, and since I'm an end unit, there's all the extra parking (that's NEVER used so I've been told) right next to my unit.

If you guys are being serious and not just smartasses (hey, I am, you could be too... :) ) I can give directions info, etc.

Plan for Sept 10th, fair chunk of the day and then party time :)

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok brad ill make another thread and see if there is any interest...

17. Rickster

Rickster Junior Member

I'd love to join in on a Prius-meet (am just about to order my own) and wouldn't mind helping move stuff... do not know if the wife is too, and we've got some other stuff going on next friday, but could probably drop in for part of the gathering.

As for places for future meets, I'm pretty much neutral among the three suggested. (I live and work in north Seattle, so they're all easily accessible.) Another good option might be the University Village shopping area in Seattle -- nice open mall, several good eateries, and a good place to park your Prius and "advertise" it to the kind of folks who'd join our revolution with a little prodding. :)

18. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And a Apple store. Heaven on Earth. Did anyone see the new iMac. It is smaller than the Windoz box flat panel display on my desk at work. No box under the desk and a 64 bit processor to boot. Way cool. Apple owns modern industrial design. My daughter dream is to work for them or Disney. She can't make up her mind.

19. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While not an Apple/Mac fan, I do like gadgets, so am intregued by the thought of a tiny iMac.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i ve seen a few articles on them and i am impressed. i think apple finally figured out that selling their stuff a bit cheaper (at $1200 they still got a ways to go) would appeal to a lot more people and lets face it, they still integrate better than any wintel box.

now if they would get more games ported over...