1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VOTE your Priuschat Moderator a chance to drive the Lexus Hybrid for a year

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by efusco, Jul 1, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, I tried. I get a message saying, "However, for the vote to count, you need to log in if you're a registered voter." Then in the registration window it says I'll be entered into the random drawing for the chance to drive it for a year. In other words, if I register to vote for you then it seems I would enter myself. Am I missing something?

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, I think that might be the way it works...a bit odd I agree. Kinda like a pyramid scheme for marketing! They get you to register to vote for me then you try to get people to vote for you and they'll all register and get people to vote for them.

4. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've voted for the Evan as well. Please feel free to do the same for me while you're at it. :p

Lexus Drive HS Promotion

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I clicked you 4 or 5 votes ... just for good measure. Say you win. Do I get a ride?

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure enough!
    I'm up to about 12 votes...gotta think it's gonna take a lot more than that to win this thing.

8. grand total

grand total Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weren't you going on sabbatical sometime soon? Does that make it a wasted vote?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The web site says that you can't vote more than once for the same driver BUT you can vote once for as many individual drivers as you wish.

So, please vote for me :) (link below) along w/everyone else here.
    Lexus Drive HS Promotion

10. jasony79

jasony79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all! I actually got notified yesterday that I won...not the grand prize of a full year, but a Lexus Experience Gift bag (Swag I guess) and a week with the car. Better than nothing I guess.

I'll use the time to see what kind of FE I can get on my usual route and routines compared to the Prius.

Not sure when I get the car, had to send in a notarized agreement and some other stuff...I assume they'll get back to me for the next step.

But thanks again to everyone who bothered to register and vote...I really appreciate it.

**Interesting--I just checked the official site and my name is not on the "Potential Winners" list. Makes me think I was a runner up when someone else didn't complete the paperwork. Curious.

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that should take care of Monday. For the rest of the week, you can compare tire wear. ;)

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How many votes did you end up with? Unfortunately, our voting links don't seem to work anymore.

It would be interesting to hear what cutoff was for winners. I only had 15 votes and wondered if I was even close to making the cut.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I had many more than 15...maybe the final was 17?

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Dang, I'd figured you'd already won the Lexus ... & had been driving it around for a good amount of time already. Better luck next time.

16. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i hope you make some nice pictures and a review here on pc

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats on getting the loan of the car for a week, Evan. It's not a car I'd be much interested in driving, but you wanted it, so I'm glad at least you'll be getting a taste of it. Now if they let me drive a Tesla for a week, that'd be cool. Almost as much fun as my Xebra. :D

I don't think I'll ever have much enthusiasm for a gasoline car again. I have to drive the Prius for road trips, but I'm (not optimistically) hoping to see the day when I can drive to my Canada hiking trips using electricity.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know I'm on my way out of gas too, Daniel. But the Xebra won't work, I can't afford the risk of a conversion vehicle like you did. If I'd have won the whole year lease I'd have sold my Prius so that when I go to Australia there would be one less vehicle to worry about maintaining for my 9 month sabbatical...I should get the Tesla Model S shortly after I get home from Australia.

But I enjoy all new experiences and look forward to seeing just what a luxury hybrid will do on my usual commute compared to the Prius. I don't expect to be in the market to buy one, but it'll be a fun new experience and that's what I live for.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well congrats!!

since i voted for you, does that mean i get an hour's worth?

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Luxury cars are comfortable. I had to go from L.A. to Ventura and I took a limo service because it was no more expensive than a regular taxi. (Not a stretch. Just a Lincoln Town Car.) And I could not book an efficient car as I'd have preferred. It was a very pleasant ride.

But a Lexus hybrid burns more gas than a Prius, and for that reason I would not trade even if it was even money.

Most people choose to live in the kind of city where you have to go on the freeway. I choose to live in a city where I can use the Xebra for most of my driving. In another thread some guy said he would make environmentally-responsible choices only if it would not cost him money. Some folks will make environmentally-responsible choices only if it does not require them to alter their lifestyle choices. The Prius allows us to burn 1/3 less gas while making no lifestyle changes. We get to call ourselves environmentalists without sacrificing anything at all.

But the fuel is running out, and changes are going to be forced on us. We can choose to cling to the old ways until the last minute, making the transition more difficult when it is forced on us; or we can make lifestyle changes now, thereby easing the transition.

Even here in Spokane, where a Xebra is perfectly adequate for in-town driving, because you can get anywhere without taking the freeway, there are only two or three of them. And yet the Xebra is really fun to drive. Any new toy is fun, and I had fun with my Prius when it was new. But I've had the Xebra for over two years now, and it's still more fun to drive than the Prius was when it was new! The trick, which is hard for me, is to be patient and not be in a hurry, because it accelerates more slowly, and so the trip downtown, which takes maybe 20 minutes in the Prius, takes about 25 minutes in the Xebra.

I envy you that Tesla Model S you're going to get! I'm just kind of surprised that a Lexus, with its lower FE compared to the Prius, would interest you.

Watch out when you're in Australia: There are more things there per square meter that will kill you, on land, sea, and air, than anywhere else in the world. Poisonous snakes, spiders, toads, and even poisonous seashells; there are man-eating freshwater crocodiles in the rivers and Portuguese Man-o-War in the oceans. It's a scary place! :D