1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC, ABS, (!) and emergency brake light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jimmy bob, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Faizan Iqbal

Faizan Iqbal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

odometer reading= 167369,

was the car in a recent accident = Never,

Was everything working well prior to the engine misfire episode? Yes,

Did the lights come on when the powertrain was cold, or only after the car had been driven for a while? Some time when cold some time after 500 to 600 meters drive.

Batter Voltage: 14.2 Battery changed 5 years ago.

Coolant pump: Changed 1 year ago, and as per your instructions pump is running, if seems like no issue

Please your help is required to get out of this headache.

2. john614

john614 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have the same issue just bought the prius n the next day lights came on i did the brakes in the front and lights were still on. now it has a constant beep noise thats annoying and when thats on the brakes fail and kick back and wont go down. i have read on forums got these codes from the paperclip trick(!) 52 abs42 vsc45 cant find nothing on them the scanner i have and at autozone wont show anything wrong but clearly the car is not running i dont know if its abs or battery or igi relay i just wish there was a way before i invest in the wrong stuff

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, you're the kind of customer the Repair Manual (more info) was made for!

If you look in there, you'll see the 52 on the (!) light (that's the "ECB" light) is the same as DTC C1252 and it means the pressure pump in the brake system is taking too long to pump up the pressure.

It should normally pump up in a matter of seconds. To get C1252, the car has to be trying to run the pump for five solid minutes. So there's an obvious issue there.

It could matter what you hear during those five minutes. If you hear no pump sound, there may be an electrical issue with the power to the pump, or the pump motor itself has failed, so the car is trying to run it but it doesn't run.

If you do hear a pump sound during that time, then the pump is running but not catching up, so either it must be very worn, or some hydraulic passage in the actuator is leaking fluid past as fast as the pump can pump it.

The other two blink codes you got, 42 on ABS and 45 on VSC, were left out of at least some editions of the Gen 2 repair manual, but you can find them in a Gen 3 manual. No big deal anyway: they both mean "hey, if you haven't noticed, there's an ECB code."