1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC, ABS, BRAKE AND (!) LIGHTS ON

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by calin.ceascai, Jan 8, 2018.

1. calin.ceascai

calin.ceascai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there. Today I replaced my front rotors and brake pads. Everything was ok but at the end I have 4 warning lights on.
    I ave a new 12V battery and I was disconnected for severa minutes the negative wire from 12V battery and the problem was not solved.

Anyone can help with sugestion? IMG_20180108_212542.jpg IMG_20180108_150553.jpg IMG_20180108_150533.jpg

Trimis de pe Huawei P10 Leica folosind Tapatalk

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you disconnect any wires down there, on purpose or inadvertently?

3. calin.ceascai

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. There is no wires.

bisco likes this.
  4. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you pull the starting battery before you started the work? The bake bake acccumulator may be sensing too much, not enough fluid and sending an error. This is a common problem when changing front breaks.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome!

If you jump into this other recent thread right about here, you can see the easy way to find out exactly what your brake computer is trying to tell you about the brakes, and that may lead more quickly to the solution.

-Chap

6. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go to parts store (O'Reilleys, Autozone, etc.) and borrow their scanner. Plug it into the port underneath the steering column on right side. Enter vehicle information and read the ABS codes.

It will tell you what the problem is. When I had exact same codes it was a rear right speed sensor. So I spent $100 at O'Reilleys and bought a rear wheel bearing assembly (comes with speed sensor). And I paid a mechanic $80 to install.

Did you unplug anything when you were doing brakes?

7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Y not get a scantool to clear those codes first?

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Always write down the codes before you clear them.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How are you able to say when you had exact same codes, when the OP hasn't posted any codes yet?

-Chap

SFO likes this.
  10. calin.ceascai

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in Romania so I cannot go to O'Reilleys or Autozone. I was to a tester and he cleared the erors so everything is fine now.
    Maybe was just from pushing back the brake pistons without any unplug ABS....

bisco likes this.
  11. calin.ceascai

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No. I didnt know. Thanks. I erased the erors and the problem is solved.

bisco likes this.
  12. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I meant was I had the 4 exact symbols on the dash.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So does everybody else who has one of a few hundred possible issues detected by the brake/skid ECU and identified by the trouble codes you can read. The point of the lights is to go get the codes read; the issue can't be identified just from the lights being on.

-Chap

valde3, dolj and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reread what I wrote. I was just randomly saying when I had those lights on the dash my code happened to be so and so and my fix was so and so. I wasn't saying that his code was going to be the same as mine (although on just about every car if you have an ABS/brake light on very good chance it is a speed sensor). FYI, if you go to my original post in the very first sentence I advise him to get the codes scanned.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that part I can confirm by re-reading it, and I'm completely on board with that advice.

(emphasis added)

That part I can't confirm, even by re-reading, because what you said was still

(emphasis again added),

... and it's not possible to say when you might have had the exact same codes, because nobody at that point in the thread even knew what codes they'd have to have been the same as.

It may be entirely possible you were thinking "lights on the dash" and your fingers just wrote "codes"; that happens to me all the time. I didn't point it out for the purpose of flaming you, it just made a good case in point for helping future readers see why the dash lights alone aren't enough to identify a problem. (And it would have been an almost equally good case in point had you said it the other way.) It's certainly not a big enough deal to be worth the effort of pretending to have written something else.

Peace,
    -Chap

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok, you are taking what I wrote to a very literal level. It should be very obvious that if someone on priuschat posts this (actual screenshot of post):

Capture.PNG

And I respond with (actual screenshot of post):

screenshiot.PNG

That I didn't mean literally that I bought a plane ticket to Romania, drove to OPs house, broke into his home, stole his Prius key, plugged in my scanner, and got a rear right speed sensor code, flew back to the states, got onto my computer and said, "By the way, I have the exact same codes as you do because I scanned your car". Obviously I meant same symbols on dash, lights on dash, codes on dash, things on dash, stuff on dash, pictures on the dash, etc.

Nobody on the planet is dumb enough to think that if 2 cars have an ABS light, that the 2 cars have the exact same symptoms, producing the exact same codes on a scan tool, requiring the exact same repair. And I never wrote that at all. He asked for help, I told him to scan it, and then gave an example of when I had an ABS code it just so happened to be "......". All clearly written without any way to confuse it.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here I think you're being unfair to the numerous PriusChat newbies who regularly do tag on to old threads with "I'm having the exact same problem" when there is no basis, other than dash lights, for them to think so. It's not because they're dumb (and certainly not planet-toppingly dumb). It's because they don't get how it works yet, and we can help with that.

C'mon ... something can be a somewhat loose expression that you're counting on readers to sort out for you, or it can be clearly written with no way to confuse it, but it usually isn't both. :)

Crossing out 'codes' and writing 'symbols' does make it clearer ... but that seems to have happened after the fact.

I'm totally willing to believe that you personally aren't under the misapprehension that dash lights alone are enough to identify problems, and you just happened to write something loosely one time that sort of came out that way. But as long as there are other people regularly showing up who really don't know better yet, your post was a good conversation starter about that—even if that wasn't what you set out to do.

-Chap

18. Mohammad Awad

Mohammad Awad New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same problem
    and the code is C1256 what is the solution

19. John McGlynn

John McGlynn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 20 year old daughter’s GEN 2 Prius got the same problem shortly after having a 4 wheel brake job done at a local shop. I suggested she take it back but she took it to another shop and they diagnosed a $2400 repair. The car has 235,000 miles. I found a utube video that shows how to reset the display with a safety pin to short out pins 4 to 14 with a paper clip. The problem is I can’t find codes connector. Any suggestion?

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably, just as well, those are the wrong pins.