1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC ABS light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by csp1971, Oct 25, 2013.

1. csp1971

csp1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Braking at a stoplight tonight, I had the VSC and ABS light come on. I pulled over to a parking lot and shut the car down. I couldn't tell any issues with the brakes at all in the short few hundred feet I drove to pull off. Turned it back on and the lights were no longer on.

Additionally, the second week I had it, I pulled out of the driveway and the VSC light came on for a few seconds, but it hasn't kicked on again until tonight. The fluid levels all look fine.

Anything I should worry about or look for? I've had the car for over a month and no issue so far, 27k miles.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is it perhaps the hill-start assist? When you are stopped and fully depress the brake, it will beep and the light will start flashing. It will then hold the brake for you up to about 2 seconds so you have time to move to the accelerator. The light will then turn off.

Your description doesn't quite sound like that, but it's puzzled far more people around here than any sort of trouble with VSC/ABS, so that's the first thing to consider.

3. csp1971

csp1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the response. I haven't even heard of hill-start assist so I looked it up (neat feature that I can't wait to try out). I'm not sure it was a hill start assist since I was mildly slowing down for a stoplight (I was only traveling about 15-20 mph). I'm going to continue to watch it and see if it occurs again.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    have you had the recall performed yet?

5. csp1971

csp1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a recall?

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There have been a few. I haven't paid attention to any that might apply to later model years only, but my January 2010 one has not had any recalls (both the brake ones so far applied to MY2010 cars built before then), so I doubt there are any for your car, if it is indeed a 2012. Just to be sure, you can check with your VIN here, though.

7. csp1971

csp1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! No recall for my Prius, but we do have a recall on our Camry!

8. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you plugged the OBD2 adapter in the port by any chance? leaving that plugged in kicks these lights on and it is known issue with obd2 adapters. Ive had same problem and panicked but then little research revealed that it is due to obd2 adapter so i unplugged it and havent had the problem since then.

9. csp1971

csp1971 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did and had it plugged in to reset the beep for reverse which is all I used it for. I've since unplugged it and didn't even think that could be the issue. I've had it unplugged for a few days now. Good call Umar. I wish I would have had my old android phone hooked up at the time, probably could have seen the logs.