1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

vsc is very sensitive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by james nancy, Mar 5, 2022.

1. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This car has traveled about 180,000 km. I purchased it at about 160,000 km. After replacing the hv battery, brake actuator and tires, the car is now running smoothly, and the fuel consumption is very low, about 27km/l, and there is no fault code. The problem is that whenever I pass the turntable above 25km/h, the anti-skid system will intervene and automatically decelerate. When turning at an intersection, the anti-skid rarely moves. I don't think it's really on the verge of a sideslip. I don't know what the problem is. , or this car is more sensitive like this.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car is just like this

james nancy likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The phrase "pass the turntable" isn't familiar to me, so I am not sure what is being described.

james nancy likes this.
  4. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know how to describe it, it's a circular road with different exits.

5. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks a lot, are you saying this is normal?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm saying the VSC is very sensitive, you can hit a very small imperfection in the road and it'll come on. Many times that will make it harder for you to apply the brakes as well

james nancy likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can do one thing to slightly address this is this device. Some, including myself, think it's noticeable improvement on this acceleration problem, some say not much: https://www.redbullet.net/products

james nancy likes this.
  8. Pdaddy

Pdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When you hit a bump while braking the brake energy recycling system ( not correct name) will shut and you will have to apply the actual brakes much harder to decelerate. This happens very suddenly and is a "normal" flaw or safety feature in prius. Is this what you are asking about?

SM-G960U ?

james nancy likes this.
  9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    maybe a roundabout?
    ra.JPG

Mendel Leisk and james nancy like this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you clarify what you mean by these two things: "the anti-skid system will intervene" and "the anti-skid rarely moves"?

What precisely do you notice in the first case where you conclude the anti-skid system has intervened? Do any dash warning lights appear and, if so, which?

james nancy likes this.
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the STUPIDEST ideas ever dreamed up!!!! (the idiotic traffic circle)

james nancy likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is actually very popular in Europe, where the streets are very narrow

james nancy likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For a long time, I've been thinking of 'traffic circle' and 'roundabout' as synonymous, but it turns out I was mistaken.

rdbt.png

Traffic circles had their heyday in the early 20th century and were falling out favor midcentury because they weren't efficient or particularly safe.

Roundabouts are getting quite popular these days, with significant reductions in injury and fatality accidents compared to most other intersection types, and considerable fuel savings too.

JahT and james nancy like this.
  14. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They can keep them!

james nancy likes this.
  15. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please forgive me for not describing the problem clearly because I only have a little basic English. I am trying to figure it out.
    1. The ring road with different exits, I really don't know its specific name. I live in Fiji, the roads here are not very wide, there is basically only one road in the same direction, there are many circles like this on the road, and the diameter is very small, basically a reduced and simplified version of this picture.
    2. When the vsc is in action, the vsc light flashes, and at the same time, the squeaking sound of the brake wheel cylinder can be heard. It is mainly when driving in a circle that the vsc will act, and the vsc action rarely occurs when turning at an intersection. Without figuring out where the problem is, I even suspect that there is a problem with the steering angle sensor or some other sensor zero setting. But this option is not found in the obd diagnostic tablet, there is no trouble code for this car.

Attached Files:

16. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check your right front CV joint....assuming you drive on the right side of the road?

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That does seem like a reasonable suspicion. While traversing the roundabout, the wheels on the outside are turning faster than those on the inside. The skid ECU should be able to match those speed differences mathematically to the steering angle and/or the yaw rate. If it cannot, it probably thinks the speed differences indicate a skid.

The car has both a steering angle sensor and a yaw rate/acceleration sensor. It does not have a special procedure to clear or relearn the steering angle sensor zero. It does have a clear and relearn procedure for the yaw rate/acceleration sensor. When you clear the yaw/acceleration zero point, that also clears the stored steering angle zero point.

Assuming the yaw/acceleration zero has been learned correctly, the car learns the steering angle zero automatically every time the car is made READY and driven for 5 seconds at 35 km/h or above. It just matches up whatever the steering sensor reads with whatever the yaw sensor says the car is actually doing. It will fail if the front wheel alignment or steering wheel centering is not reasonably close to correct.

So obtaining the zero point of the yaw rate and acceleration sensor is the critical thing.

In the repair manual (more info), there is a procedure OBTAIN ZERO POINT OF YAW RATE AND ACCELERATION SENSOR and it is given in two versions, one using Techstream software, and one that requires only a jumper wire at the car's diagnostic port. For the latter, the terminals used are Ts and CG, and that is not the same as Tc and CG used for the normal trouble code reading.

Whether or not Techstream is used, the procedure has two steps. The first step clears any current learned value for the yaw rate and acceleration. The second step can only be done when there is no current learned value.

It has to be done with the car stationary on a level surface. You must not vibrate, tilt, move, or shake it while the reading is being learned. The skid light should come on while learning the reading, then blink fast after the reading has been learned.

You can check that everything has been learned correctly by following the procedure called SENSOR CHECK USING THE TEST MODE in the repair manual. This procedure also has versions for use with and without Techstream.

The procedure involves entering test mode and then doing several things in a particular sequence. It has to be done where there is space for all steps of the test. I typically go to a nearby shopping center parking lot during non-business hours.

• keep stationary for at least 1 second (ECU checks the acceleration sensor value)
    • quickly press and hold the brake with over 98 N force (ECU checks the master cylinder pressure sensor). ABS light comes on for 3 seconds. Hold the pedal down while the light is on.
    • drive straight ahead at 45 km/h or more (ECU checks the speed sensors). ABS light should stay off.
    • drive a 180° turn pattern at about 5 km/h with the steering wheel turned at least 90°. (ECU checks the yaw rate sensor. The turn may be to the left or the right.)
    • stop and push the P button. If all tests checked out, the skid control buzzer sounds for 3 seconds.

That gives the flavor of how those procedures work, but I haven't copied all of the details from the manual.

james nancy likes this.
  18. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the very informative answer, it helped me a lot, but there are some things I don't quite understand.
    Those things that are done in test mode are test each sensor for normality or set a zero point.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right. In the Repair Manual, you can look up the procedure named SENSOR CHECK USING THE TEST MODE, and you could use that as a quick check whether all the sensors are currently calibrated sanely.

Or you can look up the other procedure named OBTAIN ZERO POINT OF YAW RATE AND ACCELERATION SENSOR, and by following that procedure, you can first clear and then re-establish the correct zero points for yaw and acceleration.

(You could then follow that up with a second SENSOR CHECK USING THE TEST MODE, just to confirm that the learning process succeeded.)

james nancy likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I gotta admit to stressing out, whenever I negotiate one we have nearby. One thing, NOBODY signals their intentions as they're supposed to, signalling when they're entering, where they'll exit.

james nancy and ASRDogman like this.