1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC on dash, nothing else, after dead 12v and jump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daikon, Jul 20, 2019.

1. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone!

2008 Base.

After my 12v died and I got jumped the VSC light lit on my dash (nothing else).

I assume that the battery dying caused the issue, and nothing is really wrong, so I tried putting a paperclip in the reader port but could not clear the light. I have not been able to find much on what could cause this besides a bad yaw sensor.

Any ideas?

Should I try pulling the high voltage service plug (orange hybrid bat plug) to see if that makes it go away?

Thank you in advance for looking and hopefully offering any advice/ solutions.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    best thing would be to read the codes. more likely that the jump was botched than the dead 12v causing it.

have you put a new battery in yet?

daikon likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah a jump start is not like reviving someone with heart attack. Pretty much all it's done is substitute another power source for the dead battery. A bit of driving will partially revive the battery, but it's certainly not completely back to normal. You need to assess it's status (electronic load tester is the norm for this), then either attempt a recharge with appropriate charger (smart charger, 3~4 amp range), or replace if it's toast.

daikon likes this.
  4. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Mendel and Bisco,

After the jump, I purchased and installed a new battery right away.

I will try to find a guide to read the codes from the paper clip flash method ( I took a video of the flashes). I have heard that the VSC codes don't appear on a autozone scanner report.

Thank you both

Mendel Leisk, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update - It looks like I have VSC code 34

I saw this thread VSC Code 34 | PriusChat where a member Seilerts said "VSC 34 (C1234) is for the yaw rate sensor, which is showing malfunction during the sensor self-check. Seems like it could have happened during your low battery event, but it should have gone away if everything was ok."

The thread is old and the members in it have not been online in years.

Having said that I want to get a look at that Sensor. Any advice on getting to the part, attaching a new one, etc, or is it all straight forward? ... I am thinking of buying one off ebay now. I would check its connection first, but I do not know how it would come undone on its own as I believe it lives under the armrest

Additionally, with a paperclip in, I have the Tire Pressure monitoring system blinking 22 times ( I can not decipher that one) and the
    Brake/ ABS like flashing constantly and in unison so I don't know what to make of that.

Thanks again for any and all help!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you searched yaw sensor here? its pretty uncommon, but i recall a thread or two. seiners was a pretty savvy guy, we miss his knowledge and advice.

SFO likes this.
  7. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update you guys-

I never found that other code, I will see if my library has a Chilton's I can look it up in, however, I did go to a local junk yard....

bad news- bought some trunk hatch lifts and they were garbage, AND I dented my car a bit when I pulled the first one and it slammed down, BUT...

I got a yaw sensor from a wreck for 2.50! I installed it and the VSC light is gone!

Woohooo!!! Thank you all!

If anyone can recommend an aftermarket lift for the hatch I am all ears btw! And I discovered I have leaky headlights (fog inside) ...the repairs never end, lol!