1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC Poll

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Highly ImPriused, Apr 5, 2007.

?
  1. 0

50.0%
  2. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4

50.0%
  6. 5 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What did you do to make the VSC kick in on purpose?
    I had a Mini also with DSC, loved it in the winter, It helped when slipping in snow on hills, but got me up them and kept me from sliding into the other lane. It also came on when going into a 15mph curve doing 45, yes the Mini could do that, and no it wasn't me driving like that, kind of like a warning system for morons.

That's the reason I got the VSC, for better traction control in winter/slick conditions and to keep me in my lane.
    I hope the VSC works like my DSC, I think it makes a car more stable in winter driving.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prudence @ Apr 5 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]418523[/snapback]</div>
    Err.. find a snowy parking lot and yank the steering wheel (left or right) hard to simulate a hard turn. That's the safer option.

3. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've experienced VSC activating in the following circumstances:

1) Turning right/left from a stop on wet pavement
    2) Travelling up a specific curvy hill at 35 to 40 MPH on (again) wet pavement
    3) Using a particular freeway onramp that has a hairpin entrance, again, on wet pavement.

The car felt a lot more sure footed in those situations. And I'm pretty sure that without it, I would be sliding all over the road, potentially getting into, or causing, an accident. My previous car, a RAV4, didn't have VSC, and in those same situations, the car felt less safe. I have no regrets opting for VSC in the Prius. I do feel safer with it, but that doesn't mean I tend to drive more agressively beacuse I think I have a magic safety shield.

I do activate my traction control all the time. We live on a hill, and anytime the road is wet (usually rain or heavy fog), the tires easily slip. I've gotten used to it and know not to let my foot up off of the gas pedal. The car very quickly adjust things so that that there is minimal slippage. I've also had the TC light up when going over potholes at a slow speed or other similar rough road conditions (and slow speed). The TC in the Prius is definitely agressive. We also have TC and VSC in our Sienn a. When the Sienna encounters the same situation of accellerating from a dead stop up the hill, it will happily spin it's tires while trying to get some traction. It does appear to be adjusting the rate of slippage, but not nearly as agressively as the Prius.

I personally feel that VSC/TC is a great safety feature. Apparently the US guv'mnt agrees, since by 2012, all new cars must have it as a standard safety feature.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    VSC or Traction control every time? The latter kicks in almost every time if I'm getting into a hole in traffic. The former I rarely trigger unless I come up a driveway turn pulling into my work parking lot where the car gets a tad airborne (well, just light on the suspension) and understeers for a moment if I come in too quickly (15mph)