1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VVT Oil Filter? Poor MPG'S?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edthefox5, Jun 4, 2010.

1. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your help Ed and Patrick.

Here are some pictures that may help any one else who wishes to change this filter. I also changed the valve. This filter is much smaller than I was picturing in my mind so I can see why a thicker oil or sludge would cause a problem.

Attached Files:

ydpplqbd, chinna, m.wynn and 2 others like this.
  2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    That filter looks like pretty coarse screen, like screen door screen. I don't think I would worry too much about dirty oil causing restrictions. Unless, there are chunks ...

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good pic #2019 of the area in question. Finally a pic of the exact area. Thanks. That solenoid looks very dirty or burnt oilish. Car must have lived on dyno. I would take the v cover off and look at the cams too.

I would have flushed that area off first with carb cleaner before taking the filter & sol out. Clean that whole area up first. So dirt doesn't get in the holes. That and I like the smell of it.:confused:

The used car dealer down the street from me Gary is a good guy I have bought a car from him before has turned his lot into all Prius's.
    He's got like 10 now. Seems to be moving pretty good. Garys been in business around here for 40 years. I constantly see mint condition G1's on his lot too. Yyes G1's. I don't know where he's getting them. Never ever see a G1 on the road around here but now Prius's are everywhere.

4. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but it may relate to my son's 2006 Prius valve clatter noise problem. The issue is this; when the car starts up cold the valves make a loud clatter noise. Then after a minute or so, the loud clatter noise goes away and the engine sounds normal. I was told by a non Toyota mechanic that it could be the check valve is stuck open. Through a former Toyota mechanic via text (has not physically heard the noise) thinks its the VVT. To the best of my knowledge, the problem started to occur when my son let the car's oil level go extremely low (by 2 quarts) for a period of time.

I don't think the previous owner changed his oil regularly since there was oil film on the dipstick when my son bought the car. I had to clean the dipstick to read the oil level correctly. So I am guessing that there is sludge in his engine and globs may have kicked around when the oil level was allowed to go low. My son bought the car with 88K miles and now has 103K miles.

Does anyone think a clogged VVT oil filter may be causing the valve clatter noise during a cold start? Or something else? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.:(

5. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I finally had a chance to pull out the VVT oil filter in my son's 2006 Prius. I was hoping that it would be sludgy and would explain the loud engine valve chatter when started up. The filter looked pretty clean, went ahead replacing it with a new one. While I was at it, cleaned the throttle body and the air filter housing. Of course I dropped the O ring on the floor pan (wasted 10 minutes retrieving it, ended up knocking it thru the floor pan hole with a long screwdriver) when trying to reinstall the VVT oil filter. After assembly, started the car. Dang, the loud valve chatter remains. :mad: Time to figure out plan B...:(

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two possible alternatives for Plan B:

1) Live with the noise since it goes away after one minute.
    2) Remove the valve cover to see what the valve train looks like. Measure the valve clearances and adjust the valves if necessary (this is not easy since the two camshafts have to be removed and new bucket "spacers" inserted to correct any instances of excessive clearance.)

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Patrick,
    I was also told by a mechanic that it is possible the check valve is stuck open due to sludge pickup. My son had let his oil level go extremely low.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not good. Be aware many a poster reports the same issue you have that turned out to be a blown motor. When you run the oil real low there's not enough oil to lubricate the cylinder walls and the piston wrist pins and the piston rod main bearing and they fail causing a knock. Early stages starts knocking on start up then seems to go away. Its knocking all the time just not real bad yet. It gets bad pretty quick. Lots of posters report this as valve noise.

If the oil ran low enough to turn on the yellow check engine light just once on a high mileage motor my bet is the motor lower end is damaged.
    Thats because if oil low enough to turn on the No OIL Pressure alarm it is really low.

Seen this hundreds of times here. People just don't check the oil like they used too. That and if the car is strictly dealer serviced they never check the oil and don't find out the car has been using oil for years until the check engine light comes on one day as they never knew.

Very few posters report valve noise issues relating just to the valve section. That area is well lubricated via pump & sump where the bottom end is splash lubricated and relies strictly on oil level. This car has a vary loud valve section to start with as it uses solid lifters like a high performance motor.
    In 9 years I can't remember one person who went in and replaced the shims. Its a very big job with small return.

Go on youtube and search PRIUS INSPECTION mode. This easy set up forces the engine to run continuously for inspection.
    Get the engine running and stick your head under the engine and listen for knocking in the oil pan.It will sound like loud bassy thumping at idle.
    Sometimes a long stick pressed to the pan and then your ear will help.

Just drive it till it explodes.

m.wynn and Bay Stater like this.
  9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I have read, possible PVC valve clog. Please check prior posts in here regarding this.

Bay Stater likes this.
  10. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for your insight edthefox5! I will try that...:( It's a shame that my son just doesn't see the importance of general maintenance.:eek:

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Montgomery, I will check it out.:cool:

12. mswtoyota

mswtoyota Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just pulled mine and checked it in 5 minutes using a 6 inch extension without removing anything. Looked good, so I put it back (and re-used the o-ring: gasp!)

Sezy, uart and SFO like this.
  13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It looks easy enough so I may as well take a look next oil change.

Just to confirm, is it the one that I've marked with the green arrow here?

vvt_oil_filter.jpg

m.wynn likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes that looks right it's a female hex head bolt. Intake #1. The big round thing next to it is the VVT valve.

Make sure you use a quality hex socket not a harbor freight pos as that hex bolt was really really socked down. Standard lefty loosely. There's a filter screen in there and a little rubber gasket if I recall.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks ed. Mine will probably be clear, but I'll take a quick look at it next time I'm in there. :)

edthefox5 likes this.
  16. prius2serve

prius2serve New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great post! I think your on to something. I experienced a drop in milage by -10 to -12 mpg a few months before the catastrophic failure related to the timing retard that i'm working on resolving now. your post reminded me of the milage drop in the previous months.

s-l1600.png

ydpplqbd and edthefox5 like this.
  17. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Did this improve anyone's MPG?

18. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tried this and no change in MPG. Filter looked fine but replaced anyway.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the inverter coolant.

20. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys. I'll be changing out my VVTI filter soon. I was just curious as to how much torque to tighten this bolt once the new filter is in. Do I need a torque hex wrench or can I just tighten it but a 1,2,or 3 grunt? lol
    thanks!