1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Faces $17B Fine for Emissions Scam

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Jeff N, Sep 18, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    won't happen in the u.s.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looking for TDI "defeat device" metrics in the Argonne Labs data led to more insights. One is addressing the claim "diesels are the most efficient of engines." The problem is in an emissions compliant car, the diesel begins to lose efficiency and performs equal too or worse than our Prius:
    [​IMG]
    This is preliminary data from the Argonne Labs, Downloadable Database area and subject to change.
    • When the Prius engine must run, speeds above 42 mph, it often burns fuel slower than the Jetta TDI.
    The Argonne Labs data has to be looked at closely. This is the "highway" data from both cars during the performance interval of the benchmark. But I found the Prius fuel rate was off by ~7.4 seconds. Also, there is a 4 second offset of the dyno power and Jetta TDI fuel consumption. Regardless, it looks like I'll be able to make an applied BSFC chart for both cars as measured at the dyno. In effect, a tank-to-tire efficiency metric. I'll start a separate thread if that proves out.

Bob Wilson

#762 bwilson4web, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    TOKYO -- Herbert Diess, chief executive officer of Volkswagen's passenger car brand apologized for the company's emissions scandal on Wednesday, when he addressed the media at the Tokyo Motor Show press day.

"VW did some things that were wrong. On behalf of our entire company I would like to apologize sincerely for actions that went against everything our company and its people stand for,"

..."We will come up with good technical solutions for the affected diesel engines. We will uncover and disclose the full truth of what happened. We will make sure that something like this never happens again."

He also stated that they will focus more on plug-in hybrids.

Tokyo Motor Show : VW did some things that were wrong, says passenger car head- Nikkei Asian Review

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "We will uncover and disclose the full truth of what happened." Yeah right. Might want to call OJ to find out how to do an full investigation. By now, the big bosses at VW know exactly what happened. Probably knew it before the dam broke. It is the spin engineering that will take a loooooong time to finalize.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Finally I understand the Jetta TDI vs Prius hatchback performance using the Argonne Labs 'highway' benchmark data:
    [​IMG]
    • X-axis is the dyno power measured at the tires for each car. Every 7,457 watts is ~10 hp and a positive number means driving the car. A negative number means slowing and/or braking.
    • A 6th order polynomial trend line allows us to see:
      • Above idle fuel burn, ~0.5 cc/sec, both cars have all but identical fuel burn
      • Braking and slowing, the Prius drops fuel burning much faster than the 'defeat device' Jetta TDI
    We do not know why VW burns more fuel when slowing and braking. This may be required to keep the NOx rates low enough to pass the emissions test. However, it suggests if VW can turn off fuel burn and keep the NOx rates low, they may yet achieve Prius-like efficiency at least in 'highway' mode. In urban cycles, they are still heating the brake pads instead of charging the traction battery.

Now I understand why the "Green Human" Prius vs Jetta stunt came so close. The Jetta edge was the smaller profile body, the smaller car with the slightly lower, aerodynamic drag. There was no diesel advantage and that stunt was against the 2009 Prius, not the 2010 model with higher engine effiency.

Bob Wilson

#765 bwilson4web, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    telmo744 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the big problem for vdub and hybrids is, it won't draw in the gangbangers like the rest of their vehicles. they be stuck with us tree huggers who don't buy many cars.:cool:

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or perhaps VW would prefer to 'strike' at us because we won't buy the cars that they want to make. But given what we saw from hybrid skeptics, it remains a common theme. Just they can't figure out we actually like to pay less for gas . . . more than anything else . . . greenback dollar conservatives.

Bob Wilson

#767 bwilson4web, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    bisco likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yo yo yo - we be put'n a cap in yo a$$

175-Bullet-Samba-1.jpg

#768 hill, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) William Fox:

Thinks that following VW's lead, he believes that dealers are obligated to apply the fix.

Source: Autoline This Week #1933

I suspect the TDI owners are burning up the phone lines.

Bob Wilson

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I can't figure out why someone in the know didn't just cough up the truth right from the get-go. After all once you have the "lying cheats" branded on you, you know everything else is going to get tested. It gives the benefit of looking like you're truly repentant.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Damn!

VW can't stay out of the Natl. news limelight....:eek:(n)

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They should investigate Volt. Originally, it wasn't SULEV, just LEV. Then they added some hardware to qualify for SULEV.

Volt should be tested to achieve SULEV in normal driving condition.

13. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Europe's air is about to get worse

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You people are funny.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did vdubs stock go up when eu caved? it really doesn't matter what the u.s. does, it's such a small diesel market for them.

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Strikes:
    1. EA189 - original "defeat device" engine, maybe a small number employees, discovered
    2. EA288 - updated engine with "defeat device" engine, 4 cylinder, diesel engineering, discovered
    3. SSP350 - V6 with "defeat device" engine, management policy, discovered, six weeks later
    At this point, one begins to wonder if the board of directors was involved. Regardless, another shake-up in the executive offices is due as the new guy just got chopped at the knees.

Meanwhile, the land sharks are ordering their new Teslas.

Bob Wilson

17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That rogue engineer was very busy. Good thing management found out about it.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and reported him/her to government authorities.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So here is the metrics from CARB testing of the 2015 vehicles:
    [​IMG]
    Note the TDI vehicles have the "defeat device" software. Also, the top line is the 'fleet average', a USA requirement that I would prefer not to explain. Also note that the Prius NOx appears to be the same regardless of test cycle.

So here is the reported MPG for the TDI vehicles with the defeat device and our favorite:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the Prius mileage is pretty much the same, a little better in the FTP cycle than HWY.

Bob Wilson