1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Faces $17B Fine for Emissions Scam

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Jeff N, Sep 18, 2015.

1. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's also the US06 and SC03 Supplemental FTP test cycles.What's interesting is that U.S.-spec TDIs would have to have at least four different ECU software "models" for the four different EPA test cycles, based on what was discovered in the video Bob linked.

FL_Prius_Driver and bwilson4web like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, a very elaborate deception. how does one go about regaining trust?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The curves appear to be upper and lower boundary distance limits to conform with the known test protocols. However, others were able to generate different dyno results by two simple changes:
    • 4-wheel instead of 2-wheel testing (USA)
    • repeating the test so engine starts hot (BBC)
    It was a clever hack to start mapping the controller software. Finding the software is data-table driven makes a lot of sense. Some of his diagrams suggests there is more to discover. Also, the engine controller vendors assert the 'tuning', table modifications, is done by the vehicle manufacturers, not the controller builders and their frame-work software. That is why Bosch could send a note warning that using one part would be illegal.

The other curious bit is the engine controller software is available using their 'diagnostic software.' I have not done a through audit of the miniVCI/TechStream but now I wonder if firmware access is hidden in the code.

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nice video from VW about their problem: How Do Modern Diesel Engines Work? VW Explains It On Video?

Bob Wilson

Now the fun begins: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/business/vw-sued-justice-department-emissions-scandal.html?_r=0

The article has a link to the 31 page, complaint filing.

A “defeat device” is an AECD “that reduces the effectiveness of the emission control system under conditions which may reasonably be expected to be encountered in normal vehicle operation and use, unless: (1) Such conditions are substantially included in the Federal emission test procedure; (2) The need for the AECD is justified in terms of protecting the vehicle against damage or accident; (3) The AECD does not go beyond the requirements of engine starting; or (4) The AECD applies only for emergency vehicles . . . .”

Bob Wilson

wxman likes this.
  5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For those who choose to set their hair on fire: A Lawsuit to Scare VW Out of the U.S. - Bloomberg View

The lawsuit describes known facts. VW installed special software in approximately 580,000 cars sold in the U.S. that mitigated the level of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emission during tests but stopped doing so on the road, and it tried to hide the ploy from the authorities. The carmaker has admitted as much. The surprise is the amount of money the U.S. Department of Justice has demanded for the violations -- a maximum of $116,250 per car, or potentially $67.4 billion in total.
    . . .
    As for the damage to car owners, it cannot logically be higher than the price they paid for the cars. Unless the car caused them illness or worse, they have benefited from ownership. Based on Volkswagen's financial reporting, the weighted average price of a vehicle sold by the company in North America in 2009-2014, when the offending software was installed, reached $28,815. That would put the total cost of a buyback (using the government's number of missold vehicles) at $16.7 billion. So to completely erase the actual damage it has done with its cheating, VW would need to pay $16.8 billion. Even if the U.S. wants to make an example of the German company, multiplying the actual damage by four, as the lawsuit does, is unjustified.
    . . .

[​IMG]

Back of the envelope, VW's gain was also ~$10-14 B loss of revenue by other car companies.

Bob Wilson

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was expecting this: Opinion: USA vs. VW - something′s not right | Business | DW.COM | 05.01.2016

So I sent feedback pointing out:
    • VW sales went from ~$12 B in 2009 to ~$28 B when the cheat-diesels were revealed.
    • VW continued to deny the problem for at least a year.
    • The USA has a dim view of liars in the market place because it destroys the market.
    • We have truthful polluters but no patience for lying polluters.
    When dealing with a different culture, one that I don't speak the language, it is hard to communicate effectively. But I have no doubt that many of our German friends are going to be defensive about VW's behavior and point to our own, USA problems. As an excuse, perhaps, but justification . . . nien.

Bob Wilson

telmo744 likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the epa is just getting tired of the rhetoric. it started eel before the cheating was found out. and they don't like the attitude of the mother country.

i have to wonder how long feinberg will stick around.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Michael Horn is the one most at risk. He was the head of VW North America starting in January 1, 2014 when the dung hit the fan. He could face criminal charges for what others committed in 2006-07.

Bob Wilson

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Now the grim business begins: VW Boss Says He’s Focused on Fix, Not Cost, of Diesel Scandal | TheDetroitBureau.com

. . . Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess told an audience at the Consumer Electronics Show that “Our most important task in 2016 is to solve the diesel issue in the U.S.”

. . . Diess told reporters attending a preview of several battery-powered concept vehicles that “I assure you we are doing everything we can to make things right.” The executive added that he “is confident we will win their approval (for a fix) in the coming weeks and months.”
    . . .
    The two plug-based concepts, meanwhile, underscore the maker’s growing focus on electrified vehicles. Executives have told TheDetroitBureau.com that the goal is to offer at least one battery-based version of every model in the VW brand portfolio within a decade.

That said, Diess insisted that even after the emissions cheating scandal, he believes “diesel will (continue to) play a role” in VW’s line-up, including the U.S., where the high-mileage technology had been generating about 25% of the brand’s sales until recently.

“I wouldn’t give up on diesel,” concluded Diess, “even in the U.S.”

Looking at the latest dashboard report, it looks like many diesel sales might have moved up-scale. But these were SCR equipped models anyway. Still, VW is spending a lot that is NOT on new products and this drain doesn't appear to be coming to an end.

Bob Wilson

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are they convinced they can fix them, or are they trying to convince u.s. officials/public?

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am reluctant to report something that sounds too good to be true: VW proposes catalytic converter to fix U.S. test cheating cars - Bild am Sonntag| Reuters

Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) engineers have come up with a catalytic converter that could be fitted to around 430,000 cars in the United States as a fix for vehicles capable of cheating emissions tests, German daily Bild am Sonntag reported.

The converter would be fitted to cars with the first generation of the EA 189 diesel engine, the paper reported on Sunday, without providing information on its sources.

A source familiar with the matter told Reuters that the proposal for a technical solution VW has drawn up includes a new catalytic converter system made in part from new materials.
    . . .

This reads like a report about a rumor. Oh by the way, the rumor is <stuff>. There may be some new catalytic converter, previously unknown, that can drop-in and make the EA 189 compliant. It just sounds to convenient.

I understand VW will be meeting with the EPA this next week. Those talks have been kept secret, which opens the door for rumors. Patience and a bit of skepticism should be the word. After all, this is not a press release car.

Bob Wilson

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    VW is taking a cue from their salesmen, "Just trust me".

14. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You are absolutely right to be very suspicious. Bild, a popular sensationalistic paper, is a very poor source of information.

Also, information from VW has been misleading. (e.g. 3.0 l Diesel cheat "denial" response to EPA NOV)

I have no doubt that some sort of solution involving a catalytic converter is being discussed. That is obvious from purely technical considerations. In German terminology, both LNT (Lean NOx Trap = NOx Speicherkatalysator) and SCR (selective catalytic reduction = Selektive Katalytische Reduktion) are commonly simply referred to as a "Katalysator" = "catalytic converter". So unless a truly credible source specifies which sort, we cannot be sure which technology is being favored.

The smaller portion of the cheat diesels have SCR, and apparently, they need only the cheat software removed, but possibly also a larger DEF tank or shorter service intervals.

The majority of the cheat diesels in the US, about 430k, have the LNT, which is generally considered less effective than SCR. There has been speculation that they might be converted from LNT to SCR, which might be just as expensive as a buy back. But do not forget the fact that these LNT diesels can and did pass the EPA test while running the clean mode part of the ECU software. However, the side effects of running clean all the time might be too disadvantageous for an acceptable software only solution.

My personal speculation is that the original LNTs are el cheapos, sized and spec'ed to just pass the EPA test, but otherwise perform poorly. If these were to be replaced by better LNTs, that might reduce the unwanted side effects of continuous clean mode, such as higher fuel consumption and lower power and durability.

Trollbait and bwilson4web like this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Found at Jalopnik:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

Blizzard_Persona and bisco like this.
  16. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That's pretty darn funny!! :D:ROFLMAO:

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that the original cat, or aftermarket?

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  18. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

That's Diesel, the Orange Tabby.

Sorry...couldn't resist. Lol.

bisco likes this.
  19. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a cat-astrophe.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose @catgic will be weighing in soon.