1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Faces $17B Fine for Emissions Scam

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Jeff N, Sep 18, 2015.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "the settlement allows Volkswagen to modify some of the vehicles we buy back so they can be returned to commerce rather than scrapped"

What?! Europe, Asia, Africa, South America?!

RCO likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm trying to care . . .

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Initial reports of the deal stated that the cars had to honestly meet the EPA certification they were supposed to meet in the first place before they could be resold, even if VW shipped the cars to another market.

Which could be more wasteful and environmentally damaging than letting VW honestly certify them to another market's emission regulations and sell the cars there. A portion of the cheater VWs are new, or almost new. If VW can't get them recertified and sold, they will just scrap them. So the energy and any pollution that went into making the car will just be thrown away. It would be like dumping the soda out of a fresh can in order to recycle the can.

bwilson4web, wxman and RCO like this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was pretty active in looking at the old "Dust-to-Dust" nonsense of CNW Marketing so this woke up some memories:
    CNW Marketing tried to claim the life-cycle costs of a Prius versus a Hummer made the Hummer a cheaper ride than the Prius. It was bad enough his 'life time miles' numbers were totally bogus, it turned out there are actual researchers who do honest, life-cycle costs. Their papers pointed out the operational energy cost is typically 3x to 5x the production cost.

I also remember drinking a Dr. Pepper in 1974 in the break room and leaving it on the table to finish later. When I came back, someone had put their cigarette out in my can. I did dump the soda and that is a better understanding of the VW cheat-diesels.

The cost of keeping those cars on the road is measured in lung disorders, foul air, and cities that shutdown most if not all car because of what VW pumped out the tail pipe:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    RCO and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    imagine people purposely cheating the system, what is this world coming to? poor vdub.:cool:

Trollbait, RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    This isn't quite true. VW is required to apply the CARB/EPA approved "fix" to the cars before reselling or exporting them but this fix won't necessarily meet the original certification requirements. The certified "fix" is intended to be as good as can reasonably be accomplished and therefore good enough but the CARB/EPA is recognizing that a full and complete fix may not be possible at a reaslistic price point.

Trollbait and Fred_H like this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was speaking of allowing the cheater to being allowed to export to a market where the car meets the local regulations in its cheating state. The transport costs in pollution and resources will be less than building a new car that emits just as much for that market.

I take it that the fixed cars will be assigned to another bin then, and VW will have to balance them by selling even cleaner cars then?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All the more reason for them to start selling gobs of plug-ins, which they have proclaimed they are going to do. I hope that Brooklyn Bridge deal i have with them follows through.

bwilson4web, RCO and bisco like this.
  10. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I don't know.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The fundamental problem is the weight of the car when the agreement was ruled. Stripping parts off the car reduces the weight. It is the same as sneeking into a VW car lot and stealing parts off the cars.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/business/volkswagen-diesel-emissions-investigation-settlement.html?_r=0

Oliver Schmidt, who led Volkswagen’s regulatory compliance office in the United States from 2014 to March 2015, was arrested on Saturday by investigators in Florida and is expected to be arraigned on Monday in Detroit, said the two people, a law enforcement official and someone familiar with the case.

After a study by West Virginia University first raised questions over Volkswagen’s diesel motors in early 2014, Mr. Schmidt played a central role in trying to convince regulators that excess emissions were caused by technical problems rather than by deliberate cheating. Much of the data presented to regulators was fabricated, officials of the California Air Resources Board have said.
    . . .
    Starting in late 2014, Mr. Schmidt and other Volkswagen officials repeatedly cited false technical explanations for the high emissions levels, the state attorneys general said. In 2015, Mr. Schmidt acknowledged the existence of a so-called defeat device that allowed Volkswagen cars to cheat emissions tests.
    . . .
    James Liang, a former Volkswagen engineer who worked for the company in California, pleaded guilty in September to charges that included conspiracy to defraud the federal government and violating the Clean Air Act. But Mr. Schmidt’s arrest brings the investigation into the executive ranks.

Bob Wilson

hill, cwerdna and RCO like this.
  13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Uh, let me clarify. I like the information, not what VW did. In a criminal case, it usually starts at the lowest level and then works its way up the 'food chain.'

Bob Wilson

#1694 bwilson4web, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes . . . . . best to squeal - plead out so the fed's can go after the kingpins ... the ones who pretend they didn't even know what's going on .

RCO and bwilson4web like this.
  16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems this thread title can be updated to $20B after the $4.3B settlement with the US Department for Justice investigation.

Also:
    VW will face a £30 million lawsuit from 10,000 VW Group owners in the UK, each asking for £3,000 in compensation for buying vehicles involved in the Dieselgate emissions scandal.
    Auto Express

cwerdna and RCO like this.
  17. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The $17 billion is a theoretical "up to" value. The actual amount will depend upon how many owners sell back their cars and upon the actual individually calculated buy-back prices. VW is required to initially pay only a small fraction of the $17B into a special account from which reimbursements are to be paid, and thereafter periodically replenish the account to a certain minimum balance.

Also, I am not aware of any settlement stipulation that would prohibit VW from retrofitting or dismantling and reselling or recycling cars or car parts. If VW is clever enough, they might be able to recoup a major portion of the buy-back costs.

RCO likes this.
  18. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if you add the $4.3B new settlement to the $15.5B they have committed to already..."the theoretical up to value" needs updating.
    The application for a class action in the UK involves 10000 owners right now. If all 1.2 million affected owners in the UK were compensated with £3,000 each, it would cost the carmaker an estimated £3.6bn.

I do not think time is on their side...clever as they can be.

#1698 giora, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

A thread title often stems from a snapshot in time . . . what we knew when the thread started. I agree that it makes sense to track the actual costs of the scandal but that gets into some pretty challenging areas. So let me suggest seeing if the annual stockholder report has a section or line item.

Stockholder reports are often 'delayed' because they follow, not lead, in the corporate expenses. Meant as a guide for investors, they tend to have the final numbers. Hopefully, this disaster has moved to 'the beginning of the end.'

The individuals who approved this fraud are being identified. Some will face criminal prosecution because they defrauded investors and buyers. Others, will face civil cases that will claw back some of their ill-gotten gains (and enrich many lawyers.)

It has made the slogan "clean diesel" into an epitaph that joins "clean coal" and "safe cigarettes."

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  20. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, remember that BMW actually met the standards, and presumably GM has (considering the Colorado/Canyon diesel was subject to the far more rigorous testing post-Dieselgate).

It takes a lot of cash thrown at the emissions control equipment to meet them - $10k is the number that's been thrown around for the F-150 diesel - but it can be done.

(Mind you, throwing that $10k at a hybrid system would probably get you a PHEV now...)

RCO likes this.