1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Faces $17B Fine for Emissions Scam

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Jeff N, Sep 18, 2015.

1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if they knew how to cheat, they didn't opt to do it.
    VW cheated ALONE.

pilotgrrl, RCO and Trollbait like this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I saw this on the news, I said outloud good. They finally are putting someone in jail, instead of just fining a company. My gf said cynically - its because he's german, it he was american he wouldn't be going to jail. She is probably right.

You can definitely do a non-urea system, and produce low enough NOx emissions with a diesel. What they haven't been able to do is produce such a system with the fuel economy needed at a price people will buy. My guess is the least expensive way is probably a diesel hybrid with an e-charger (electronic turbo charger, or a turbo charger/ electric supercharger combination) which will probably cost more than a 14 mile phev (see audi a3 e-tron phev) and use more oil :-( They cheated for profit, not because it could not be done. In the future they may come up with something better than SCR using urea for diesel, and diesel is a good fuel for heavy long distance vehicles that don't spend much time in heavily polluted cities.

IMHO diesel is pretty much dead for small vehicles in places that heavily regulate pollution. Battery and motor prices have fallen making bev, phev, hybrid, and yes even straight ice vehicles better. I am excited about engine technology in mazda's prototype skyactiv-x. Mazda's SkyActiv-X: diesel fuel economy from gasoline engine (Page 2)

RCO likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    [​IMG]

austingreen and RCO like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What this makes me think of, is non-doping athletes, watching/wondering why this one guy is smoking down the track/road/pool, way ahead of everyone else.

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or did they? I read that Audi, Porsche and Skoda were in a similar situation. More recently I reported that documents and computers were removed from BMW HQ by police.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Along with the basic defrauding of customers, I have pointed this out multiple times to those saying the extra NOx emitted by these VWs isn't a serious threat, or play whataboutism with other pollution sources, like coal power. VW's crime and resulting punishment is about more than pollution.

North America lost out on the Mazda SkyActiv diesel, and an Accord diesel to replace the original hybrid because of VW.
    Can't say for sure at this point. We do know that the Euro standard did have some lax loopholes for diesels, like Mercedes turning off emission control to "prevent damage from low temperatures."

RCO likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wouldn't be too hard on BMW:
    My understanding is the core software came from Bosh and this was a 'tuning' option. In the USA test, it was a BMW diesel that showed they could meet on-road emissions. But the VW models failed the road tests.

Source:

. . .
    "We were never seeing those low emissions during most part of our drives on the interstate. That part of the emissions program was interesting," he says.

In none of their road tests could they get their two Volkswagen cars to meet the claims, even though a BMW they tested did fine. Very early on it was pretty clear to the scientists that something was wrong.

He says the team kept double-checking its procedures. "And then, I mean, we did so much testing that we couldn't repeatedly be doing the same mistake again and again," he says.
    . . .

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's hear it for that little lab in West Virginia Tech. Yay!!!

pilotgrrl likes this.
  9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Audi, Porsche, Seat and Škoda are VW group, their engines are shared.

BMW were audited due to suspicious agreements to the emission control technology patent/sizing/cost reduction, different issue, AFAIK

Trollbait, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification.

telmo744 likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: VW faces inquiry call over diesel fumes test on monkeys | Reuters

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen’s (VOWG_p.DE) supervisory board called for an immediate inquiry into who commissioned tests in which monkeys were exposed to toxic diesel fumes, . . .

“I will do everything possible to ensure that this matter is investigated in detail,” Volkswagen supervisory board Chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch said in a statement on Monday.

“Whoever is responsible for this must of course be held accountable,” Poetsch said in response to a New York Times report on Friday that German carmakers had used an organization called European Research Group on Environment and Health in the Transport Sector (EUGT) to commission the tests.
    Perhaps VW's management should have been the test subjects. Sad to say, the German's have had problems with toxic gasses in the past.

This source has more 'hair on fire' details:
    VW condemned for testing diesel fumes on humans and monkeys | Business | The Guardian

. . .
    “That a whole branch of industry has apparently tried to discard scientific facts with such brazen and dubious methods makes the entire thing even more horrific,” she said. Those responsible, she added “have not understood what is on the agenda here – to finally accept full responsibility in the diesel scandal”. She said she was “appalled” that scientists had “made themselves available as willing supporters of such despicable experiments”.

Bob Wilson

#1791 bwilson4web, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  12. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    BTW the first episode of the netflix series 'dirty money' is a great rundown of the history of the emissions scandal

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, just watched that. (y)

IMG_8184.JPG

The gassed monkeys portion seemed a little over the top, but gets the message across.

farmecologist likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    From Bob's linked article;
    I was thinking Volkswagen's defense would be, "monkeys? what's the big deal - we've been testing on humans now for quite some time"

bwilson4web and farmecologist like this.
  15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    "We were only following orders".

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Actually in this case it was the other way 'round: the senior execs repeatedly point fingers at a few overly enthusiastic, undisciplined engineers, tsk tsk...

farmecologist, RCO and El Dobro like this.
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    History repeats itself.

cwerdna, farmecologist and RCO like this.
  18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Next movie plot for Planet of the Apes.

bisco, farmecologist and RCO like this.
  19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just watched the VW episode of Dirty Money. Wow! As a child of eastern European Jews who survived WWII in Ukraine (and almost died several times when they were in their early teens) I am a bit triggered by the whole gassing test thing. That's just insane!

However, I have to wonder how many other manufacturers do the same thing (I don't mean gassing primates, but cheating on EPA tests). I am talking gasoline engine cars as well as diesels. Since most testing is done on the dyno, most other manufacturers can do exactly the same thing. Including Toyota. Ok, on a Prius the engine doesn't run all that much, but it can still spew nasty stuff into atmosphere when it does. Who really knows?! As far as I know nobody checks vehicles for "real world" emissions. This could very well be a much deeper problem than just VW "clean" diesel. This is too easy to do and now that we have a precedent, I think it's just the tip of the iceberg. But will we ever know? I am not sure.

Another reason for EVs and hybrids to flourish, I guess. I see that VW has gotten into EV business really deep now.

bisco likes this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    iirc, President Eisenhower was the last senior exec that'd acknowledged responsibility for subordinates. The beginning & end of the phrase,
    'The buck stops here"

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.