1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured VW Plans to Go All-Electric in Europe, US Later

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VW plans to go all-electric in Europe as soon as 2033, US later

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yet Toyoda (feeling plugin hybrids are as efficient as owners need to be ..... who knows - maybe they're right) has to be arm twisted to build a single long range one of 'em ... theor alibi being, "not until they're wanted". Between the different manufacturers - that's a true 'glass is half empty / half full' if ever there was one.

#2 hill, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Haven’t really a clue, but seems a little draconian. Financially risky? Could it be pending regulation forcing their hand??

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh that's rich...:ROFLMAO::cry:

VW was started during you-know-who's "era", had his interest and blessing.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    So did Bayer Aspirin. I still take them occasionally

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HaaHaa - I'll believe it when and if I see it. I still haven't seen an answer to what will happen to ½ a billion, ½ tonne batteries every year once this supposedly happens.

And - there's a crisis with old SOLAR Panels - they're now banned for dumping here - and most isn't easily recycled. Was a good idea when it started - but not in the quantities which are now obsolete, let alone when the much bigger systems become obsolete in decades to come.

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My primary concerns are the defective diesels still on the road, 11M built, probably 6M still running and polluting...and the as per today 90%-95% (of total vw production) low efficient worldwide new vw group cars being built.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Multiple groups are working on battery recycling. Making progress on that front. When we get to the millions of tons of batteries needing recycling, it will happen because the costs will then let it compete with virgin materials. It's not like copper, cobalt, nickel, and manganese are going to get cheaper with growing battery demand.

They are coming up with other uses for old wind turbine blades, and new ones using easier the break down resin should be making their way to market. Same will likely happen with PV panels. Newer ones will be designed for recycling, and the old ones will find a use. I bet they would work great as giant roofing tiles.

bwilson4web, Zythryn and telmo744 like this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Prius community has already addressed battery recycling.

Bob Wilson

11. Ovation

Ovation Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Batteries can also be repurposed before they need to be torn down and recycled.

austingreen likes this.
  12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all that successfully - there have been premature failures, and when there is considerable cost in having an installer come and rectify, it makes you wonder.

I've got an all-electric LawnMower - an EGO, very expensive, about double the cost of a PetrolMower. And the battery died at 14 months. My mate, the only other person who has an EGO, had his replaced under warranty too. I put a comment on FaceBook about it - first comment about it was "yes, mine had a warranty claim".

And we all know how long Li-ION batteries last in phones and Laptops. (Answer - much less time than the phone or laptop lasts).

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have several EGO tools, a blower and a weed wacker/trimmer. One charger. Bought the first blower with a changer and battery about 4 years ago. Then bought a spare because I'd use the blower to blow leaves off a lawn and it took two. So you know I am totally discharging them to their limit. One of the batteries failed. Not even sure which one but they were good about replacing it. Since then I bought a third battery. One in use, one on the charger and one at the ready. No problems. So it may be worth your while to call EGO and ask for some consideration.

Son has one of the add an attachment tools from them too, have not heard of issues. Neighbor one of the mowers. Ditto.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, they replaced it quickly under warranty - but I expected the mower to be a long-term investment - hopefully my last one.

Now, I'm wondering whether, once the warranty (3yrs?) is over, am I going to have to fork out $350 every 18 months - which is the price of an equivalent Petrol Mower (though I'd probably pay $550 for self-propelled Mulcher). The EGO cost $900 - and I expected it to last better than this.

Phone isn't holding charge now at only 2 3/4 yr old - and the battery isn't self-replaceable, needs a technician.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yes - batterys fail . . . electric motors fail . . . controllers fail . . . manual & auto trannys fail . . . as do engines ... even under warranty.
    Toyota and Lexus Recall Cars to Replace Engines - Consumer Reports

Toyota Engine Problems Lead To Recall of 5.8M Vehicles With Risk of Sudden Stalling - AboutLawsuits.com

but do we throw the baby out with the bath water?

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Had the Pixel 2 for at least 3 years. The battery doesn't last as long when new, but it still can go 2 to 3 days of my use before needing a charge. Now my lap tops batteries are bricked at this point, but they are much older. The batteries and software managing them has gotten better with time.

Has the replacement battery failed yet? Odds are it will last longer than the original. Sounds like EGO got a bad batch, which happens with anything. They either switched suppliers, or the supplier fixed the issue.

The Bolt had two recalls over failing batteries. Each time, GM/LG Chem examined the faulty batteries, and improved the manufacturing process to prevent the that defect from happening. This how it works with any product.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No - I only received the replacement Yesterday - hoping it still works when I try it tomorrowo_O.

18. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

I have 3 phones and a tablet which failed about the same time. I even had one of the tablet batteries replaced and it still only charged to 50%. Sometimes you just look at the per day cost and replace.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First, in your previous post you repeated the claim of 1/2 billion car batteries every year.
    There are only about 75 million cars sold per year, so your number is way off.

Second, car batteries, being much bigger and more expensive than cell phone batteries, have software that controls their charging rates and temperature and greatly helps insuring a longer life. But it would help if cell phone makers improved their battery management to extend their life too.

Third, as the number of EVs goes up there will be a market for second life usage for grid storage. It will just be economical to do so since time shifting solar PV to later just makes sense and there will be a cheap source of cells.

Fourth, we already have battery recycling companies being formed. Most notably is one from one of the Tesla founders. See link: Ex-Tesla CTO JB Straubel's Redwood Materials tackles battery recycling

Fifth, just look at how we currently recycle the 12v batteries in cars. Every car probably goes through 4 to 6 of these in its lifetime. We don't see decades worth of these piled anywhere do we?

#19 3PriusMike, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Ovation likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The EV advocates are saying that within 8-10 years, that'll be the minimum number of EVs being sold every year - so, when that happens - at least that number of dead batteries sitting around - or going into landfill.