1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

W rated tires for a Prius V?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Zogg, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Zogg

Zogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am looking for new tires for my 2012 V Five ATP. I was surprised to find that Toyota recommends W rated tires (capable of 168 mph) for a car with a top speed of 105 Mph. Anyone have any incite as to why Toyota would specify a high speed sports car tire for a Prius?

I was hoping to get a set of Michelins at Costco, but they won't mount a tire with lower than manufacturer specs. Am I forced to buy a sports car tire? I suppose liability issues dictate Costco policy, but is there any reason for this specification? I notice that the specification for the 15" tire is V rated (149 Mph), which seems more than adequate, but a bit more reasonable.

Assuming there is no practical reason for the W rating, how would I get a below spec tire mounted? After a bad Walmart experience, I have always used Costco in the past.

If I got a V tire from TireRack, would I have trouble getting it installed? Thanks for all advice.

By the way, Consumer reports online is free today at the time of posting, but might not be by the time you read the post. I was not allowed to insert a link... it has an org domain.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In that section and profile (215/45R17 or 215/50R17), you won't find much but "sports car" or high speed touring car tires, so the "W" is warranted for the anticipated market, not so much for the v Five.

3. Zogg

Zogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the reply, I never considered that. I have seen plenty of V rated tires in that size.

Can I run 215/45R17 on stock rims? I have only been looking at 50s.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Generally, 45s will be fine, though somewhat lower load rating, and check the tire diameter/circumference/revs per mile to assess percent speedometer indicated/actual variance.

5. mrswylie

mrswylie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Zogg, I use Discount Tire and put new Pirelli's on my 2013 V Five about a year ago. Discount will let you drop down one rating category. The Pirelli's were V rated, rather than W.

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They might mount them if you carry the wheels in and put them on yourself. It's all about liability.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would stick with the stock size, 215/50R17: 215/45R17 would be a reduction in outside diameter for the Prius v, basically changing your gearing, throwing the odometer off a bit.

upload_2018-2-16_10-21-21.png

padroo likes this.
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Or you could go to 225/45R17...

-Jere likes this.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Walk away from costco, go anywhere else

-Jere likes this.
  10. -Jere

-Jere Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't cheap out on your tires you put everyone else's safety on the road at risk.
    These cars are heavy on the abs, traction control nanny alone. Combine that with the tire patch being super skinny to maximize fuel economy up aba keep unsprung weight down... You are asking for a crash taking away traction from the car... Ie less braking and turning grip when you need it... Like before you rear end someone

That said the speed rating was made by idiots at the dot, tires that are made to go that speed often aren't dot legal. Standardized testing doesn't apply often in real life but it is there to keep tire manufacturers from selling scary cheap plastic tires. If you tire guy will mount them wider is better. Taller and your speedo being marginally slow is not a big deal either. Just look at a gps one time while you are on the highway to see how much off you are

If you are poor folk like me I suggest sumitomo htr po2 from tire rack. They are a great balance of cost and handling... They might make some more cabin noise but definitely worth it for the added safety.

11. Zogg

Zogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank everyone for the input. I bought a set of Vogue Signature V tires (W rated) from Discount Tires. I have only driven 15 miles on them, but they feel good so far. They were rated in the "Best" category at Discount Tire (best profit margin? Not sure what the criteria are). They feel much better than the worn out Toyos they replaced, and are much quieter. The rubber seems soft, but they have a 60,000 mile tread-life warranty. I will update when I get more mileage on them.

I decided to go with W rated tires because they are supposed to out preform other tires at all speeds. Faster stopping even at lower speeds. The installer commented that customers generally were happy with this tire, but it was more commonly installed on Cadillacs.

I got them for $300 installed (+ tax). My second choice would have been Continental Pro Contact for about $500 (+ tax). The Continentals were top rated by Consumer Reports.

Roel808 likes this.
  12. Roel808

Roel808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Zogg, can I get an update on your new Vogue Signature tires? Are you happy with them? How has it affected the cabin road noise and MPG? I'm shopping for new 17" tires and had the same issue at Costco with them not able to mount anything lower than the w speed rating.

13. Zogg

Zogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pro:
    Very quiet
    Comfortable absorbs a lot of road vibration/shock
    Stops well on dry surface (have not driven on wet pavement)

Cons:
    MPG lost nearly 5 MPG!

I would have gone with the Continental if I had known what an MPG hit I would take. If MPG improves & I get 50K - 60K miles from these I would be happy.

Had no problem with Discount Tire. Good price & quick efficient installation. Much less waiting than Costco

Good luck with your tire search.

14. Roel808

Roel808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Appreciate the update. Hope your MPG improves after the tires are broken.

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Comparing worn tires to new is a false comparison. Have never seen someone claim their new selection was better than worn out old set. You have to justify the wisdom of your selection.

I like the apples to apples comparisons as well an anecdotes from folks with lots of miles to see how they are after a few years.

Air_Boss and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah new tires, even of the same, will invariably be quieter/smoother, and grip better. mpg improvements as a tire breaks-in: maybe not so much.

17. Zogg

Zogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    750 mile update: Like the tires, except for the mileage. Mileage trend not encouraging, now loosing 6.1 MPG. Double checked the pressure. No other changes, can only attribute the dramatic loss of MPG to high rolling resistance tires. I guess that is the price you pay for soft rubber.

Assuming:
    60,000 tread life
    6.1 MPG loss is consistant
    Average gas cost for the next 60,000 miles is $2.70

These tires will use 254 more gallons of gas, which will cost me $686

At this point, I would not recommend these tires.

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Look on the bright side... If they're 'HRR' tires, they will never last 60,000 miles, so your MPG-related losses will be lower, but you'll have replacement tire needs sooner, and the cost/mile higher...

19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just put 400 miles on a set of new Continental Pure Contact eco/LRR 225/50R17 load range 98V tires at 42psiF/40psiR, after replacing OEM Toyos due to sidewall cuts.

The Contis carve better in the corners, have a nicer ride quality, are quieter, track just as true. Far better hydroplaning resistance (expected at new tire tread depth). Jury is out on mpg hit. First 400 miles appeared to be right at 41mpg based on tank refill, compared with lifetime average 42mpg.

PvPDX likes this.
  20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But wasn't that 400 miles done in winter in NY? And not the most benign winter either.