1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wait.... No Sirius Xm ???

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chris Wolfgram, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I had been thinking Serius Xm would be great for rideshare, as I could simply ask, if passengers wanted music, what genre ? Go straight to a no BS channel for that, and Bam... Be it a 10 minute ride, or 2 hrs.....

So I was surprised and disappointed that my Prius didn't come ready for Serius Xm :(

My buddy, who also owns a 2019 Prius LE tells me he gets the paid YouTube channel and says he can play any particular genre, nonstop, with no commercials, just like Serius... Hmmmm. I wonder about the sound quality and reception strength ?

Anybody ?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, can't help - I generally listen to CDs for music. I'm surprised - do you give the passengers the choice.

That's never happened with TAXIs here - you have to put up with what they've got on - though I've asked it to be turned down once.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or try an online streaming service like Spotify, Tune In, Google Play Music or Apple Music.

4. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    XM has easy add-on solutions for any vehicle that doesn't include an XM tuner. Sure, integrated, built-in solutions are (usually) best but the external tuners work great too. A hidden bonus is sometimes these sound and/or operate better than the OEM tuners.

GOOD LUCK!

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can get satellite radio programming through an app on your phone and bypass the satellite transmission system completely, and as @Tideland Prius pointed out above there are plenty of other services that can sell you functionally equivalent streaming audio entertainment.

Why spend dollars to equip the car when you can spend pennies to equip the phone, and then put the phone in the car?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Seems every SAT radio thread goes here.

Some reasons SAT is preferred:
    Poor or inconsistent cell coverage (yes even in 2019).
    Unlimited data plans that really aren't. ;)
    Limited data plans.
    Cell phone needed for other uses.
    Limited phone battery life means mandatory plugging/unplugging in that gets old, fast.
    Phone heat issues from heavy use.
    Consistent signal (especially road trips).
    Specific programming.

Cellular streaming is a good but limited fall back solution for those affected by the above.

BRuce2020 likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I’m well aware of that litany, but I chose to discount it because OP said he was driving rideshares.

I hereby open myself to correction- My perception is that much rideshare activity occurs in areas well served by the phone networks, and that rideshare operators are already dependent on mobile data to the extent that they’ve probably already scored the least-limited services available.

I would have had a different answer if OP said he was doing deliveries on indian reservations in Wyoming. Context.

#8 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    fotomoto likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think that matters for him. He said rideshare. Most Uber/Lyft aren't driving you 2000miles across country. Rideshares means the phone is already there and plugged in all the time for navigation and the apps for the rideshare.

And even then, having driven all over, I can count the spots I have been without reception and on a road driving on a single hand in 2019. 2 of those are in the remote wilderness of the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territories.

And I stream music everywhere. At home, at the office, in my car, anywhere. Data usage for streaming is usually in the 3-4 GB range per month. Music streaming just isn't that bandwidth intensive and almost all "unlimited" plans will be more than 3-4GB.

I was one of the biggest cheerleaders for Sirius back in the day. I converted all my cars in 2002 time frame. By 2008 it was a toss-up between satellite and streaming. And doing those cross-continent road trips, the satellite radio was awesome to have. Single station the whole way with reception everywhere (except under big trees...). But in 2010/2011 I cancelled all my sat radios when they took of the stations I most enjoyed and increased the ads played.

For the past 8 years I have used my phone exclusively and have had no issues.

fotomoto likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe in Texas. Up here every dang tree, building, rock outcrop, leaves you filling in the blanks. For me this is confirmed, each time they have a "free preview" long weekend.

Also: I took out a one year subscription, and expressly asked that it not be auto-renewed.That was a waste of breath: of course they auto-renewed, and it took research and a long-distance pay call, and a lengthy argument, to get it cancelled and charges reversed. I would never go there again.

#10 Mendel Leisk, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    BRuce2020 and fotomoto like this.
  11. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    He's probably talking about YouTube Music. I use the free version so I get occasional brief commercials. I stream it from my phone via Bluetooth to our vehicles. It works great as long as there is decent cell phone service. Sound quality depends much more on the vehicle audio system. The selection of music on YouTube Music is incredible - seems far more than any other streaming service. We have the top JBL systems in our Prius v and Sienna and it sounds especially nice. I subscribe to Pandora and it sounds very good too. We let the XM subscription for the Prius expire since my wife doesn't care about it but have XM in the Sienna. XM sounds great in the Sienna but it has a pretty wonderful 10 speaker system with a subwoofer which can probably make anything sound good.

There's an XM radio smartphone app which can be used by anyone who has an XM subscription for their vehicle. I don't use the XM phone app because I have too many other audio choices when I'm not driving. I often use XM via satellite in town but it's especially nice in rural areas without phone service where all there is to listen to on regular AM/FM radio are farm price reports and country music.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime which means I can also use the basic Amazon Music app on my smartphone. The premium Amazon Music is far better but has an additional fee.

We stream audio from Tunein Radio a lot while traveling. There's over 100,000 radio stations on Tunein Radio including most of our local ones

I very occasionally listen to other streaming services including Slacker and iHeartRadio.

It's amazing how many wonderful free and low cost streaming apps there are these days.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yup, everyone's different hence why one solution doesn't always work for all.

In the OP's situation, ease of use should also be paramount especially while driving for a living (using the steering wheel controller to change SAT channels vs face locked to a display screen while swiping thru endless google search results the passenger just requested).

Just my 2cents.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Sure It's not a big deal. It doesn't cost me anything. I actually have a very wide range of music that I like anyway, and they might actually turn me on to something new that I want to hear again later.

I will look into these to see if any work as well as Serius XM, and the price. Thank you.

Blane, wow ! That looks awesome.... Even adds a few things that having Serius XM alone, would not !
    But expensive ! And it looks pretty niche, unfortunately, do I don't see the price coming down.... Didn't even know about this when I bought the car a few weeks ago, but I can't imagine the dealership would have put that in, unless I forgot about anything else, and just rode them about this one thing to make a sale.

This will likely be my answer.....
    And guess what ?
    I always have two phones with me One for ride share, and my personal phone for everything else. LOVE having a second phone for all kinds of things. This will probably be one more of those things.

Well, of your entire list, only one of these things affects me, and that is poor or inconsistent cell coverage (which btw is a major PITA for the rideshare apps too) but that's only during the Summer in one particular place that I drive. So for now.... Probably an app. Next Summer, probably a satellite receiver of some type....

I do have a "nearly" unlimited plan We have three lines and we use them almost all day, every day, for work and play, and have never come close to using up all our available data transfer. In fact, I was told that unless I was doing something I shouldn't (like letting a whole apartment complex stream off of my phone) I never would run out with personal use. They said, this is the only reason they put any limits on it all all, to prevent stuff like this, but it's a huge enough limit, that an individual should never run out.
    And BTW, for three nearly unlimited service lines, we pay $90 a month. Seems like a pretty good deal. Oh, it's through Metro.

Geez Offline, now I have almost too many choices lol
    I actually already pay for Amazon prime, so maybe I need to look at Amazon music too. But your saying I might need to upgrade further, for their best music service ?
    BTW, I bet your music systems do sound nice !
    I'm in the process of adding some power with an aftermarket amp and a custom built / tuned subwoofer..... Which is a big part of why I am interested in a great music source now.

Yep. When I'm driving by myself, I might hold a drink in my left hand, scroll around on my screen with my right hand, and steer with my knee :) lol
    But for ride share, I am always 100% attention on my driving.

#13 Chris Wolfgram, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019