1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wait - Tesla braking isn't regenerative?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Lee Jay, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've just discovered that Tesla's don't add regeneration first before friction when you apply pressure to the brake pedal, like my Prius Prime does. Is this true?

I always knew about the ability to adjust how much regeneration you get when you release the accelerator pedal, but I always thought that, either way, regeneration would go up to the max when pressing the brake pedal regardless of this setting. No?

I know people will jump in on how much they like "one pedal driving" but I don't. I'd prefer that releasing the accelerator pedal results in pure coasting, and pressing the brake pedal results in regeneration until pedal pressure is sufficient to require friction. That or paddles to control the regen when releasing the accelerator, all the way to zero, plus regen on the brake pedal.

The other EVs I've test driven all seem to perform like my Prius does - light pressure on the brake pedal increases regen before it applies friction.

Am I wrong about this? Do Tesla's add regen when you press the brake pedal?

#1 Lee Jay, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I can't say what's going on modernly, but as of 2017? Our model x? All you had to do was let off the accelerator and you would be able to watch your passengers heads tilt forward from the regeneration - if you even bothered to let off completely, which you virtually didn't need to do. Actual brakes? hard to say as they were seldom needed once below 10 mph.

#2 hill, Nov 24, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I said, I know that. But if you set regeneration to minimum (or low or whatever they call it) does it go back up when you apply pressure to the brake pedal?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got my first drive on 2022.36.20 today and noticed that brief, 1-2 second, assisted mechanical assist had gone away. My test case is a fairly steep hill cresting at 40 mph descending to a stop light controlled intersection. But today with the new software, no gentle mechanical braking.

You might read the release notes to see what has changed: Software Build v11.0 2022.36.* | Tesla Owners Online Forum

Bob Wilson

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. My understanding is regen is solely done with the accelerator (hence one-pedal driving). If you switch regen to Low, and use the brake pedal, it will be friction braking.

Lee Jay likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seems Toyota and Tesla chose different approaches to building a different kind of car. The Tesla drives like a different kind of car, and that decision pays off in the form of a low-complexity brake system.

Toyota went for a high-complexity brake system that takes your pedal inputs as suggestions and then discusses them with the powertrain to decide what to do, and that pays off in a car that drives like other cars, where backing off the go pedal just feels like coasting, and using the brake pedal feels like slowing.

Diff'rent strokes.

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unbelievable. That's a total show-stopper for me. So you *have* to use one-pedal driving or else you get very little regen.

mountaineer likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    have to? or if you 'want' to. Yes - if you want less regen and enjoy diminishing brake pads and rotors ... yes .... you have such a setting - and users are free to knock themselves out. And their brakes. And their rotors.
    Choices are good - right?
    One might think of it as a light switch in a room. Some person may want to turn it out when they leave the room and think of it as wasteful to not turn it off. My better ½ on the other hand prefers to have a higher electric bill & not have to bother turning lights back on when she reenters. (Sigh)

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I want maximum regen, and none (or a controllable amount) when my foot isn't on the brake pedal.

Yes, and it seems Tesla didn't offer this one, like many others have (all the PHEVs and EVs I've driven offer this feature).

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree. I gather that would make it impossible to have both regenerative moderate braking and a free-rolling neutral state both conveniently accessible, except by fine-tuning accelerator position to achieve the latter.

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exactly, which is why I strongly prefer the opposite of one pedal driving - the ease of finding "coast".

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just shift into "N" when it is safe. That is what I did with our former Prius too.

Bob Wilson

Trollbait likes this.
  13. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, in a Tesla, that means fiddling with the touch screen, instead of a tactile handle (as far as I'm aware).

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps you might consider renting a Tesla for a few days to learn how it really works.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes
    Which is why I like the paddle shifters on my EV6. I can go from coasting to one-pedal drive and 3 stops in between. I can off-pedal coast when traffic is light and go into one-pedal drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

bisco likes this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, they cheaped out hard and declared "luxury."

You should see what the emperor wears on weekends.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seeing how they have blended braking through the accelerator, I wouldn't say they cheaped out in this area. If the battery is fully charged, the system will apply friction brakes as the accelerator is released at a rate to simulate the regen braking. The last thread on this topic is maybe a year old.

Other areas :whistle:

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you were so ‘shocked’ by something Tesla has done for over a decade, perhaps you shouldn’t make so many assumptions?

Trollbait likes this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    does the ev6 keep the paddle shifter in a stationary position like a turn signal stalk? driving the Chevy Volt, it's built right onto the steering wheel so if you're in a good amount of turn radius you can't find it because it may be at the bottom or top of the steering wheel. can you imagine trying to find your turn signal stalk if you have it in the wrong position? every turn? Now THAT was an odd engineering decision.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As odd as Toyota's cruise control

fuzzy1 and CR94 like this.