1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waiting For HUMU

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Bob Allen, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Several threads of thought here.

Seattle, as many of you probably know, is the only major city on the West Coast without a rapid transit system. We're working on it.....I went to a public meeting tonight, first of three, about the failure of the Seattle Monorail Project to produce a workable financial plan after three years of ditzing around and spending 170 million bucks. Depressing. I've lived here for almost 40 years. I remember when the voters here voted down a light rail system that would have been subsidized 90% by the Feds. Atlanta got the system instead. We are slowly building light rail here, but I wonder if it will live up to the promise. I wonder if citizens here, and everywhere, will forego their petty little comforts and their leftover 19th century rugged individualism when faced with the degradation caused urban sprawl and global warming.

George Bush is in Europe trying to convince them that the Earth is flat and that global warming is a myth. He likely sees himself standing ground and protecting American business. I see him as an arrogant embarrassment and, perhaps, the most ignorant leader in the western world. His dictum, "The American Lifestyle is Non-negotiable" brings us back to my first thought: will we give up our petty comforts when faced with catastrophic climate change?

The fight is on for Sandra Day O'Connor's seat on the Supremes. The fight has been characterized both as a fire fight and a debate among people of conscience. I would love to believe that those folks presently in power are actually moved by genuine conscience; my suspicion is that it's just power/money lust dressed up in pretend decency clothing. Science has been replaced by religious ideology; Congress stays up all night posturing/worrying about Terry Schiavo but cares little for Iraqi civilians and uninsured American kids; George Bush wants to revamp Social Security which is probably ok for the foreseeable future, but ignores global warming which could cause catastrophic climate change beginning before he leaves office.

I'm optimistic, though, in large part because being a pessimist doesn't change the future. Putting solar on our house and trying to be aware of our footprint on the planet, has at least given us a sense of empowerment in the absence of leadership.

HUMU will be back on the street in a week and I can continue musing over my internal questions: Does the environmental advertising of driving a Prius offset the damage to the planet it causes?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen\";p=\"104469)</div>
    I think you already said the word Bob......... footprint. Probably the smallest your capable of, and still have 4 wheels and keep the rain off yourself.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Moved To Fred's

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

Well said Bob, I agree wholeheartedly.

Dave.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

To give another Seattle point-of-view:

I completely agree with you, Fred, on how slow Seattle has been to get on the mass transit bandwagon. Voting down the light rail in the 80s and early 90s, when we would have been paying pennies for it, was just plain dumb.

That said, I think the monorail project has been poorly developed and poorly managed; mostly because it's been designed in isolation from the rest of the mass transit authorities in Puget Sound. The people who passed it, and the people who have run it, have often had a very belligerent attitude towards Metro and the light rail folks. They've treated the monorail more as a cause celebre / "up yours Metro" statement than a realistic mass transit solution. (IMO).

I think the light rail folks have been doing a good job, overall. Like any huge municipal project, it's had its problems and shortcomings. (I suspect the Alaska Way Viaduct project will have similar problems. I voted for a new viaduct to replace the old, but they're going with a tunnel -- tres expensive, and I worry that the space that's opened up will just be handed to developers, instead of being turned into public parks.)

Everytime I visit Portland (Oregon), and see how well light rail works there, I look forward to us getting on with it here.