1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waiting on my '13 Wagon to get here

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by tbearprius, Mar 9, 2022.

1. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hmm, didn't see it when I logged into Toyota owners. Hopefully won't need it.

Another note, dealer called and said head wasn't warped and rest of engine looked good. Still, may just sell it and get out of it once the gasket is repaired. Sad because interior/exterior part of the car are immaculate. You would never know it had 139k miles on it.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The brake booster program is not a recall. A recall is a safety related issue that is performed regardless if it is broken or not. The brake booster program is a customer support program that is mailed to registered owners.

This kind of program is voluntary on the part of Toyota and is dependent on certain conditions, usually the system has failed, specific codes are present, not cleared and any mileage or time limits have not expired.

Salvage title cars are excluded as are cars where someone installed a used brake booster which has failed or was the wrong part. Lots of folks get a customer support program confused with a government mandated recall.

To make customer support programs more difficult, some dealers would rather not do them at the reduced profit Toyota pays them. In the end many v owners have received free brake booster systems installed by the dealer past the standard warranty periods. Often because the customer mentioned the Prius v customer support program #20TE07. If you keep this car you have until 150k miles for this repair. After that it is $2500 - $3500 depending on the dealer.

#42 rjparker, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Tim Jones likes this.
  3. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Many thanks, saved for later. Yes, have had several service campaigns/extended warranties on Subaru's that we've owned, mainly the CVT.

4. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Does it burn any oil?
    I thought you could take it back..... I guess your going to learn the hard way. Hybrid battery could go out tomorrow....

5. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, auction car. Stuck with it. Will run Dr. Prius app on it when I get it back.

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry got this mixed up with a different post.

tbearprius likes this.
  7. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh yeah, read that one. I'll put this one under "live and learn".

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    with the price of cars these days, a new head gasket, or even rebuilt engine still puts you way ahead of the game, imo.

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unless you need a traction battery and master cylinder with accumulator.................

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would be the trifecta! :)

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But this isn't a horse race............

bisco likes this.
  12. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A trifecta is a winning bet. With a gen3 you have to sell short. A decent hedge is to buy under market.

Tim Jones likes this.
  13. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sigh, got car back and it ran great. Dealer said they drove 40 -45 miles with no issues. Car had check engine light come on during drive home which makes me think they did something to wiring harness. Codes for low coolant temp, MAF sensor (new), throttle position sensor, c1259/1310, etc. Now have to take it back where I'm sure they will say they did nothing to it and want to charge me to diagnose.

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They had to tear everything off the engine to do a head gasket so its possible something was not replaced 100%. Some codes take a period of time after a power disconnect.

What exactly did they do? Did they rebuild the head? Or just the head gasket?

15. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just the gasket, said the head was fine. One of the codes was for intermittent signal from throttle position sensor so I took the intake off, found a ground wire hanging loose on the left side of engine. It looked like it connected to the top of the valve cover so I found a bolt and attached there. Hopefully that was some of it

16. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And you were right about battery, looks like it needs one. Has the p080a code, Dr. Prius app says at 25%. Will need to look at cost effective options.

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Concerning the hv battery, I would drive the car a few hundred miles first to see if a series of charge discharge cycles helps. I am sure the car was sitting for several months.

Your battery replacement options are simple; used or new. Most battery replacements from $500 to $1600 are used batteries with one or more bad cells swapped with a better used cell. It might work six to twelve months before you have to test the warranty. That kind of battery is worth maybe $600 if a local independent shop does the work. Local meaning easy to get to for repeated warranty work. By the way, Dorman from your local autosupply are used cells.

New cells from Toyota are around $1600 if you shop and put them in. Toyota new cells were recently on sale from a dealer in Florida for about $1350. The careful reader may realize new cells can sometimes be obtained for less than used cells. Don't be the guy who overpays for used cells.

New aftermarket cells from third parties "newpriusbatteries.com" or lithium from "projectlithium.com" are available as well. They are not exactly the same shape or fit but will work. I would get the lithium even though they are a single supplier barely out of beta testing. More power and mpg have been reported. New cells will last eight to ten years, used cells eight to ten months.

With that said, I would wait until the engine is solid before going down that road.

#57 rjparker, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  18. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or clean it, say at engine coolant change intervals: 100K miles or 10 years, and 50K miles or 5 years thereafter.

20. tbearprius

tbearprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mendel, I saw a TSB where Toyota changed the intake manifold design and did some reprogramming. Do you think that is worth doing (on my own)?