1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wal - Mart Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 20 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]364759[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Dec 20 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]364759[/snapback]</div>
    These two posts say the exact same thing.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Dec 20 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]364761[/snapback]</div>
    Spoken like the d-man. The word "unique" means one of a kind. A unique view would be held by no other person. In fact, there is a very large number of people who hold the view I expressed, and therefore it is not unique.

The power of capitalism, of course, is its ability to induce people to act contrary to their own best interest, seeking short-term gain for long term costs. Therin lies the success of capitalism, and, in this case, the commercial success of Walmart.

Capitalism also leads to the concentration of wealth: a greater and greater proportion of the wealth of the nation (or of the world) in a decreasing number of hands. And an ever-growing number of people without the basic necessities of life. This does not mean that people want to become ever poorer. It means that the capitalist economic system is very effective at making people act against their own best interests. In this case, seeking out the lowest prices, because of their limited funds, even though in so duing they depress the wages of their community and undermine their own hopes of ever finding a better-paying job.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 20 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]364811[/snapback]</div>
    whatever.......

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Sierra Nevada Alliance, a consortium of 80+ groups encompassing the 650 kilometer north-south Sierra Nevada has developed five guidelines over the last 15 years in various workshops and conferences:

1. Sustainable natural ecosystems
    2. Strong local economy
    3. Talk to each other (no hidden agenda)
    4. Rational water use
    5. A solution to a problem cannot be to transfer the problem someplace else.

Walmart fails on all criteria. The big box stores gobble up large chunks of land and encourage sprawl and use of automobiles. Walmart generates money from the local economy, drives local stores out of business and sends money away from the local economy. Walmart has tried to circumvent the local planning process in many communities. Large sprawl big box stores use large amounts of water. Walmart transfers goods and services all over the world and rarely looks at a sustainable, robust, local community.

I never patronize Walmart or Walmart-type stores. I make a focused effort to support the local shops.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 20 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]364659[/snapback]</div>
    You mean as opposed to "unemployed" and on gov't assistance?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 20 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]364711[/snapback]</div>
    You mean we stupid Americans cannot decide for ourselves where we want to "vote with our wallets?"

7. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's the big box equation as I see it:

In Alameda there is a local much loved hardware store which 99 times out of a 100 not only has the left hand class 4 threaded stainless steel thingamajigit I need, but has a knowledgeable staff (several have been with the store for more than a decade) always available for assistance, even on busy Saturdays. To me, the easy availability of rare left hand class 4 threaded stainless steel thingamajigits AND the excellent customer service FAR exceed in value the money I'd save buying the same thing (if they had it, which they never do) at Home Depot.

Even if all I need is a box of 2 penny nails, I'll buy them at the Alameda store, knowing full well could get the same box $4 cheaper at Home Depot. I want that Alameda store to stay in business, and I'm willing to PAY for value received.

If my only tool and hardware source was Home Depot, my only selection would be a limited variety of cheap flimsy crap, and fifth rate customer service. I'd be forced to obtain anything rare or of proper quality from mail order outlets, with NO meaningful customer service, and an enormous price in lost convenience and freight costs.

Bottom line: I don't want Home Depots around for SELFISH reasons, when I consider what it is I REALLY value: convenient access to a wide variety of high quality merchandise with competent customer service, and if keeping that means paying $10 for a hammer instead of $6, well, then $10 is the TRUE market price of that hammer and the retail infrastructure that carries and supports it.

I think this same equation applies equally to Wal-Mart and other big boxes, and as such I try always to patronize the independent outlets, and steer clear of chains and malls.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 20 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]364756[/snapback]</div>
    Do you know anyone who works at a Wal Mart?

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 20 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]364865[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Exactly. As Mark explains:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 20 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]364880[/snapback]</div>
    At the birth of the industrial revolution textile mills produced poor-quality cloth more cheaply than weavers could produce it. People bought the cheap cloth because they were poor, but in so doing they put the weavers out of business. So the weavers had to go work at the mills, for a pittance, and could no longer buy the goods produced by the other artisans, who were buying the cheap cloth. Eventually, because people did not understand their own best interests, they were transformed from artisans to wage slaves.

Walmart is doing to commerce what the power-loom mills did to manufacturing. They made it more efficient, but the workers never got any benefit from that efficiency. On the contrary, they became poorer than ever. Walmart brings prices down, but it brings wages down even more. And the wealth becomes ever more concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 20 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]364865[/snapback]</div>
    dear doberman 2, if you put your words in my mouth you deserve absolutely no respect. Don't go there. To that end, there is a difference between your own self-centered greed and picking up a leftest slogan and misinterpreting it to show how irresponsible you really are to those who have at least a basic understanding of the facts. When you buy the cheapest product available you don't pay the true cost, you just save yourself a nickel. TO vote with your wallet is to make an informed choice based on full understanding of the facts after having taken the time to research all courses of action. I suggest reading CULTURE JAM by Kalle Lasn as a primer. The true cost of what you pay is indeed very different than the price tag. Do you think the true cost of a car is the purchase price + gas+insurance+repairs? If so then you don't get it. Knowledge is powerful and empowering. An evening out of the bars with no TV + a book is a good start. Evolution isn't just a word, it's a process.

11. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 21 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]365180[/snapback]</div>
    BRAVO !!

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 20 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]364865[/snapback]</div>
    The vast majority of Wal-Mart employees are on public assistance when it comes to health care. Few of them are able to afford the cost of the optional health inusrance which Wal-Mart offers its employees.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 21 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]365180[/snapback]</div>
    I put no words in your mouth. For you, and 360, and daniel, and others (Jared), my point is and has always been.. You guys sit on your high horses and tell us all how we are just stupid, don't deserve to be alive, don't deserve to breathe your air, NEED you all to explain, very patiently, to us, like good parents to their children, how to live our lives.

Once in awhile I just get sick of all the condescension (sp?) and have to vomit out a comment.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 22 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]365793[/snapback]</div>
    Karl, you are not stupid like Mr. Berman is. You know very well I have never said that anyone did not deserve to be alive. On the contrary, most of my disagreement with the conservatives on this board (and elsewhere) is precisely my belief that everyone deserves to be alive, and that there is never any excuse to kill people.

Explaining things is part of what's called debate or argument. Much of what goes on in FHOP is argument, so it includes a lot of explanation. I do believe you hold some views which are logically untenable, and in the spirit of Fred's, I express my views, complete with explanations.

15. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 20 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]364607[/snapback]</div>
    I had the misfortune of working in that suckhole for a very short time in 1990 right after moving to FL. it was the 2nd worst job I ever had!!!!!!

16. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

18. Schmika

Schmika New Member

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    St. Paul (who most Christians prefer to Jesus) said:

"The love of money is the root of all evil."

Capitalism functions on the profit motive, but the profit motive is just a polite way of saying the GREED motive.

It is precisely the LOVE OF MONEY that drives our entire market-based economic system. No economic activity happens in a capitalist society except for the purpose of accumulating wealth for wealth's sake.

We therefore live under the most anti-Christian economic system it is possible to construct.

Merry Christmas to all! :(

20. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Dec 23 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]366017[/snapback]</div>
    I have a question-what does the "Q" code on your '72 Stang mean? What type of 351 do you have and what HP? Would you believe I once owned a 1971 Boss 351 Stang and sold it cheap after the 1st arab oil embargo in '73. They only made 1806 of those beauties and I could kick myself for not keeping it. I had about 12 Mustangs of various years and really like the 2007 Boss 302's. If I win big in the FL raffle lotto I'm buying one before they sell out. I once knew a guy who owned a Boss 429 and I rode in it a couple of times. Nice ride, but not particularly fast for the cubes. Only 500 of those were made.

Regarding the $$$ on posters here I recall a poll about 7 months ago where the average Prius owner earns between 100-150K annually. Here in W. Palm Beach if you make $40,000/yr. you're doing good. It's gotten much more expensive since those 4 hurricanes came through here. I hope & pray Charlie Christ helps us working stiffs better than Jeb. What are your thoughts??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Dec 23 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]366097[/snapback]</div>
    No, not bitter like you think. Just grossley underemployed and having a hard time. It always comes down to how much $$$ you have. I just want a FT job that's worth going to every day and allows me to save for my old age. You are very fortunate that you put your 20 in and have a pension. One must be given the opportunity to work FT. Here in FL most employers are cheap F**ks and it's very difficult to obtain a decent job with a college education. It's a supply & demand thing. You know, it gets cold up north and hordes of people move down here and we have to compete with them for the good jobs. Then there's the age discrimination thing, etc. Perhaps in Ohio it's much easier to get a good job. Right? You had one.