1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wal-Mart Wins.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jan 22, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 05:59 PM) [snapback]379171[/snapback]</div>
    And I have family in the US who have been bankrupted by their medical bills.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 22 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]379180[/snapback]</div>
    I have never seen that happen in my 20 + years of practice here. At least we try to save lives here - not money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 22 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]379173[/snapback]</div>
    Doctors and hospitals here in the US do more pro bono work than you can shake a stick at. endentured slaves - kinda sounds like what doctors are to hmo's :blink:

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]379171[/snapback]</div>
    Doctor sent request in April.

I got the MRI middle of July.

14 weeks.

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]379190[/snapback]</div>
    Hospitals dont do altruistic pro bono work.They simply shift the cost onto everyone elses bill.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]379190[/snapback]</div>
    With all due respect, Dave, I think you're a little out of touch with what is reality for far too many people. Families really do go bankrupt trying to pay astronomical health bills, and many delay or go without medical care because they simply can't afford it.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]378991[/snapback]</div>
    That comment makes me cringe......

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jan 22 2007, 10:38 PM) [snapback]379312[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. I'd like to see some evidence myself of that "spreading wealth" claim. From what I've read, Wal Mart is increasing the number of sweatshops and driving wages lower, both home and overseas.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-walm...1,2186851.story

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Jan 22 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]379207[/snapback]</div>
    Quite illegal. Hospitals are dinasours - on their way out - a little too slowly - but they are highly inefficient - look for smaller more agile facilities specializing in different areas of care.

More and more, medicine is working its way away from extended stays in hospitals. NYC has aroudn 20,000 hospital beds - of which around 7,000 are empty on any given day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 22 2007, 08:32 PM) [snapback]379245[/snapback]</div>
    I am sure you are right in part. I believe that the current laws and govt policies work against curing the current problems in American health care. I think President Bush tonight will propose some interesting changes in the tax laws concerning health insurance - idealy the decision to purchase and use healthcare should be done on an individual basis.

From my perspective - I never hold a bill over a patients head, and God forbid if a patient loses his job or his insurance still sees me and my partners for free - I have held to this from day one. I also do an enormous amount of pro bono work. Like driving a prius - I am doing the best I can do one man at a time.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [rant on]
    you wanna talk about wait times? how about 3 months for a conclusive biopsy find out whether i had a benign or malignant tumor with a very unfavorable family history? here in good ol' america, berman. right here in the presence of one of the world's best hospitals. did i get sent to that hospital? nope, not until all the cheaper clinics and their cheaper methods had gone and f#$%ed up did they book me for a surgeon over there.
    nevermind that those months of waiting could have made a real difference in treeatment had it been a serious malignancy.

you wanna talk about the costs? in six months DH and i spent a significant percentage of our annual income on medical expenses. not including insurance. our life savings? gone. in six months. and we still have bills to pay. we're still limping financially, even though the worst of it is over. don't give me this bullshit about saving lives and not money, because it ain't true. i just LIVED it.
    [/rant]

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 23 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]379481[/snapback]</div>
    I am sorry to hear about your experience - i am sure you are not alone. i can tell you here in manhattan that would never have happened with one of my patients. what insurance carrier did you use and why did this happen. you are aware you have legal recourse too?

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 23 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]379489[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you only treat rich SOB's then, huh? Do you actually spend enough of your time with the patients to know what their financial status is? It's very easy for someone to look like they're well off - they can be well groomed, dress in nice clothes, drive a Prius, hold a conversation like an educated man or woman - and yet be living literally paycheck to paycheck. Like in Galaxee's situation, a family that was doing well for itself, having accumulated a savings, working hard, and pretty much living the good life, can see it all ripped away from them in an instant.

If Galaxee's case isn't enough for you, i can give you another one. about 5 months ago, one of my fraternity brothers, hardly more than a kid having just turned 21, got sick. He thought "it's only the flu"... a few days later after not getting any better, he went to the hospital (University Hospitals in Cleveland) and was turned away - apparently he wasn't sick enough. That afternoon his parents drove up to take him home to look after him. That evening, he started coughing up blood and was rushed to the local emergency room, and from there life flighted to The Cleveland Clinic. over the course of the past 5 months, he hasn't left the hospital. The hospital bills have been climbing and climbing the entire time... Heart lung machine? we'll add it to the bill. Left and right ventricular assist devices? we'll add it to the bill. Emergency surgery 3 times? we'll add it to the bill. Heart transplant? we'll add it to the bill. 5 months in a hospital bed? we'll add it to the bill. And for the record, there was nothing wrong with him prior to this incident - he merely caught a virus that, after inducing flu-like symptoms jumped and infected the lining of his heart.

What types of cases do you see, berman? Are they emergencies, or life threatening? do you perform expensive procedures? Or are you just a normal family physician that only charges a couple hundred bucks to see a patient? The families that have their savings wiped out aren't the ones that only see the doctor for routine checkups and the like - they're the ones that have something horrible go wrong in their lives, and need special treatment and attention.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 23 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]379511[/snapback]</div>
    I stopped reading there. You need help.

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 23 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]379513[/snapback]</div>
    Laughable. Given that you were saying no one you treat would be wiped out financially from medical bills, i think it was a fair assumption.

Go ahead, read the rest of the post... it'll help tell you how the other half of us lives.

14. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]379094[/snapback]</div>
    Judging from the overwelming replies regarding the phone tapping, I think your right on the money with this statement...... ;)

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I only have one bit of advice:

...appropriately shield any assets you might have.

:ph34r:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 23 2007, 09:59 AM) [snapback]379439[/snapback]</div>
    I just wanted to take a moment and point this out.

We all may not agree with berman every now and then, and even go off on him for this or that (I know I have :lol: ), but like the war in Iraq, only negative crap makes the news...

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 23 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]379515[/snapback]</div>
    You know nothing of me or where I came from. You judge others so easily -

a little background.

I worked my way through from high school through fellowship. I worked two to three jobs to pay my bills. i paved roads for the county, worked midnight shifts at burger king, etc, etc. did med school in under three years to work my fourth selling womens shoes and painting. the first 15 years of marriage i took ZERO vacations - NONE - worked straight. The first 5 years of my practice i took 18 days off - sundays for sanity reasons. The other half you say - I laugh at you and your assumptions. I finished paying off my loans four years ago - i suffered throught he 21% interest rates of jimmy carter. You should sit the f**k down before you judge me. You have no idea of what i did to get where I am. How dare you.

The other half - I am the other half.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 23 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]379515[/snapback]</div>
    Probably doesn't seen anyone unless they HAVE INSURANCE.

That doesn't address the problem of the many WORKING people that had NO INSURANCE.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 23 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]379528[/snapback]</div>
    Assuming you directed this arrow my way - if not sorry....

For a bunch of supposedly understanding open-minded people of liberal thought I am disappointed. Again - being judged by people here who have absolutely NO concept of me or who I am or how I operate.

I see lots of people without insurance - I see lots of people pro-bono - I would be interested to see if anyone gives away more of their time to charity and teaching (again, not paid to teach) than I do.

A large part of the healthcare problem is the perception by people that all doctors are rich and come from money. why dont you spend a month in my shoes from my first year in high school through this year - take a little taste of what and who i am.

truly disgusting. this holier than thou bulls**t that runs from this BB.

try getting a little dirty and get down with people in my world - see whats it like to do what i do. you stand from afar and judge - you have all the problems identified and think you have answers - how can you have answers to questions you are not qualified to answer?

19. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 23 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]379543[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry if you took offense. truly i am. But you were the one that started with the holier than thou BS when you were saying people don't get financially wiped out from medical bills.

And believe me, i know plenty of good doctors and people currently working their way through med school - they're pretty much the same as every one else, some rich, some poor, etc... The "other half" i was referring to are those that see the current state of affairs in the medical profession for what it is - a way to fleece the public when their only choices are hospital or death. It's obvious that you see it from a very different perspective - that of the medical professional who is out there helping people every day. Two very different perspectives which are both valid... but you can't ignore one just because you only see the other.

Believe it or not, Berman, i work in the medical field. I design life saving devices that you might even be using in your practice. I also take my two weeks of vacation each year (yes, i do take them), fly to Florida (what lovely sun!) and volunteer at Camp Boggy Creek - a summer camp for terminally ill children. The children attend for free. Everyone working there are volunteers. And every year i help to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for the camp (and its sister camps through the Hole in the Wall Gang Foundation) through my fraternity. When i'm not doing that, i work a full 40 hour work week and volunteer anywhere from 20-40 hours a week mentoring at a local high school. Thats in addition to my social life and what sleep i have.

Like you typically do, you selectively read my post and only pulled out what you wanted to read - and that small portion (it was literally only one sentence) implied any sort of judgment. the rest of the post asked very valid questions - what type of practice you have, the types of cases you see, etc - in an effort to understand your point of view.

Now get off your god damn high horse and actually take a minute to understand what other people are saying.

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 23 2007, 12:19 PM) [snapback]379555[/snapback]</div>

In search of a middle ground here - i will get off my "God damn high horse" if you choose to too. I am not sure your last sentance was necessary.

Sounds we are of similar operating systems - we differ on some ideological points of view - probably not many.

I am BC in IM/GI/Liver Disease and trained in transplant hepatology. I am the managing partner of a multispecialy group in Manhattan. My point of view has little to do with my current environment - it happens to change more frequently than I like based on available information/understanding/maturity. I see cases from hiv + homeless to people worth 10 figures and everything in between. i see people from all over the country and from many foreign countries.

You did touch a nerve there - and the blood went into instant boil - very few people have any idea of how hard i workded and how much effort i put into becoming who i am now.

I would like to say that I respect greatly the charity work you do. If you send me the address and other particulars I would love to make a contribution.

David