1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walgreen's ChargePoint stations no longer free

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by plugable, Jun 3, 2012.

1. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went to "fill up" my battery at a Walgreens in Sacramento, like I've been doing for the last 3 months (for free). I was informed that, as of June 1st, the stations are charging $2.00 an hour! I declined their offer...... Oh well, it was fun while it lasted!

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Expect that to become commonplace.

3. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, I was using Walgreen's for free also- and discovered they are not free anymore for the Charge Point Stations.

I am not positive, but I looked up a Walgreen's in Pleasanton, that has a Sema station, and that one is still listed as free on the Sema website.

The Charge Point Stations at Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton that used to be free, now are listed as 2.00 per hour, which may have also begun on June 1st.

It's like a treasure hunt, trying to find stations that are free :) there are still some free ones out there :)

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    $2.00/hr for charging is a no-brainer for PiP owners to pass on, corresponding to about $12/gallon for gasoline ($3 for a complete charge, corresponding to about a quart of gasoline), unless one has very strong feelings about cutting our petroleum usage at any cost.

I would think that charging at that price would limit customers to pure EV vehicles like the Leaf, who will pay whatever they have to if they need a charge. Kind of like the "last gas for 200 miles" gasoline station in desolate areas in the West.

5. janie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  6. plugable

plugable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting article! As the Prius PHV begins to corner the largest percentage of the plug-in market, you'd think that vendors would notice that and perhaps just start charging by the the kilowatt hour. They would get a whole lot more usage that way.

7. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Related to charging rates, I heard somewhere that charging stations do not charge by the Kwh, since if they did, they would be be considered electric utilities in certain states, and subject to all associated regulations. So they just charge by the hour, which avoids the problem.

JJay likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ...until you consider how much people pay for each use of diamond lanes. Here, it's $3. So, some of it comes down to priorities.

9. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Paying for use of the diamond lanes is a simple time/$ tradeoff (save X minutes on your commute for Y dollars). There is no economic reason for a PiP owner to pay the equivalent of $12/gallon to charge their car; the reasons would be for other principles, such as environment, lessening dependency on foreign oil, dislike of the oil companies.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least it's better than those who justified "good for the economy" guzzling in the past.

It didn't work out as a sound financial decision, yet they did it anyway. At least this, as you pointed out, is actually helpful to environment & dependency issues.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what do you do in walgreens whilst waiting for your car to charge?

12. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Walgreens & Walmart EV spots are always ICE'd anyway. Common folk don't know what those things are for.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my area chargepoint stations are $1/hr but there is a $25/6 months card for unlimited charges. And you get free parking at the stations while charging (versus the $1/hr parking meter charges).

14. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If I was paying for one of those cards and I rolled in and the spot was ICE'd I would be rather unhappy and expecting that vehicle to be towed.

This is going to be a problem, if we are paying for the spots, they need to be available. There are different Chargepoint option prices when you register, and some require a certain amount of use. Can't do that if the spots are taken up. I would go back on ChargePoint with photos of ICE cars in the spots and lean on them that they need to get these spots parking enforced.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there are about 100 stations already installed and more being added every month. They usually install 2 at every location and they are pretty well marked for plug-ins ONLY. We have a citizen initiated towing program for people that park in handicaped spots so I'm guessing the same program could be applied to abuse of charging stations. I'm not sure how much grace time you get after your plug-in is fully charged.

16. bayarea99

bayarea99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Used the Walgreens in Pleasanton and the Dublin Library over the weekend without any problems.

[​IMG]

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Sema is still free here. used it on...the First! as i understand it, it is each individual location that will set prices so they wont be the same every where, but i could be wrong.

18. Phausto

Phausto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like DaveinOlyWA, I charged for free 6/2 at a Walgreen's in Seattle (and they'd recently repainted the spot in green with "electric vehicles only"). bisco, no kidding--I ended up with 10 cents worth of corn syrup and water for which I paid $1.50 so that my son, who had just finished a track meet, could down it in a gulp just like his heroes on TV. But the novelty of charging was fun, and last time I'd tried a Mitsu MiEV was in the spot.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks!:p

20. janie

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Interesting to note- the charge point stations at the Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton were also developed by 350Green, the same group that developed the Walgreen's Charge Point Stations. Basically any of the stations that have 350Green as the Developer, are charging 2 dollars per hour for EV charging.

Also, on the 350Green website, Electric Cars, Chargers and Infrastructure |  Card
    It states here that their level 2 chargers are still free- which is inaccurate information!