1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walked in and bought one...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mr. Reaper, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Mr. Reaper

Mr. Reaper New Member

My wife and I decided to buy a Prius. We got on one waiting list at a dealer that put us 80 out for a package 4 or better. 5 months they told us. OK we can wait. We stopped buy another dealer Thursday evening and asked about a Prius, and it just so happens they had a new pearl blue package 8 in the lot that some fool had just walked away from, deposit and all. Go figure. The sales manager asked if we wanted it on the spot and we agreed and cut the deal and off we drove. When we left, I asked how many were on the waiting list at that dealer, he said 189 waiting for a package 8 in ANY color.

I bought a lottery ticket this afternoon too.... If luck holds...

I look forward to participating in this forum. Later all...

2. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Congrats on your new car. I'm sure you will love it, as we all do. Is there anyone who doesn't like their Prius? Anyway, doesn't it stink for those other folk on the waiting list that they didn't move up on the list? I'm happy for you and you're timing was perfect, but why don't the dealers call the people who are patiently waiting to let them know their car has arrived? I guess the willing buyer already in the door is another sale they would have missed if they sent you away and called their list.

Enjoy your new baby and welcome.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Reaper @ Sep 2 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]313268[/snapback]</div>

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Welcome Mr. Reaper!! and congrats on your new car!! I think you'll really enjoy driving the car of tomorrow...... there is a lot of very good information on this site to help you get the most out of the Prius, or at least help you get as much out of it as you want to...

Regardless, welcome to the club, and enjoy :lol: :lol:

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations!! Someone else's loss was your gain, that's fantastic!! You guys totally lucked out on the timing! :)

5. Mr. Reaper

Mr. Reaper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dripps @ Sep 2 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]313271[/snapback]</div>
    I don't disagree it stinks for those on the "list". It just goes to show "the list" is a bunch of BS. Harley Davidson does the same thing. You put in an order and then they sell it out from under you to a willing immediate buyer. I feel better knowing the guy that ordered this one, knowingly walked away from the car and deposit. His loss and his problem. See you on down the road.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just goes to show you *can* buy one off the lot. You just have to find the lot.

7. ched1968

ched1968 New Member

Congratulations!!!! We are you you will really enjoy the car. just practice the pluse and glide technique and stay on the speed limits and surely you will get the most of your mileage.. ENJOY!!!!! :D

8. erkq

erkq Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 3 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]313584[/snapback]</div>
    I bought one off the lot too, back on Aug 15th. It's timing. Someone ordered it, didn't want it, I got there before (JUST before) another buyer. Traded my 2000 BMW M5 in on it. What a difference!

M5 vs Prius, just for grins:
    HP - 400 vs 110
    0-60 - 4.8 sec vs 10 sec
    transmission - 6sp vs CVT
    My mileage - 18.5mpg vs 48.5mpg (A little hilly around home)

AND the Prius has more rear leg room.

Don't miss the horsepower. Guess I'm growing up (finally at 47!). But I do miss the rain sensitive wipers, speed sensitive volume, bluetooth, nav (My Prius has package #3), heated memory seats, etc.

But all in all I'm pleased. The BMW maintenance was killing me and I got a 7 year b to b warranty on the Prius. It is a very nice package!

9. sluggo42

sluggo42 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Reaper @ Sep 3 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]313537[/snapback]</div>
    Me and wifey "walked on" and bought our #7 package. Dealer said it came in that day with two others, they were gone already. He told us that the guy that ordered it fell through too. I wonder if that's just a line of BS...

10. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought mine right off the lot too. It might have had something to do with it only being a #1 package without all the whistles and bells, but I'm thrilled to pieces with it still.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Sep 3 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]313662[/snapback]</div>
    I have a #1 and don't miss anything. It would have been nice to have the SKS and VSC but I don't miss them and wasn't willing to pay for a top package. I understand they don't make that many #1s so if you actually want one, they aren't as easy to get as the top package.

I'll be ordering my next Prius (the 2009 redesign) so I'll get exactly everything I want. And I can drive my current Prius for as long as it takes to come in.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Reaper @ Sep 3 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]313537[/snapback]</div>
    "The List" depends on the dealer. You got lucky. Congratulations. Another dealer would have called the next person on the list.

13. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 3 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]313584[/snapback]</div>

True, They don't advertize that their neighboring dealer may have one, they would rather keep you on a string if they can.

I've seen a dealer with 3 before while others had none and a long waiting list.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Sep 3 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]313662[/snapback]</div>
    Me too, then I waited about two weeks and bought a second from the same dealer!

14. Claudia

Claudia New Member

We found an unclaimed 06 Barcelona Red on a lot in Martinsville, VA on August 8 - drove it home that same night - package #3. I can't resist a few add ons, though, that I guess will have to also be added into the total cost - seat covers from Wet Okole, a shark fin antenna, some decent tires, and now considering the BT plate. We drove in a 20 mile an hour crosswind the other day, and I wasn't very happy with the lack of feeling of control. Even the passenger could feel the wind buffeting the car. I know tires would help that, too.

That, and the fact that I think the seats could use a bit more padding, is about the only complaint I have with the Prius.

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Sep 3 2006, 11:01 PM) [snapback]313841[/snapback]</div>

Try the BT Plate, it will make quite a difference for such things and its easy to install.... a quick search should pull up tons on the subject... Brain sells them here on PC.

16. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dripps @ Sep 2 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]313271[/snapback]</div>
    I like it, but I must say that I'm getting a bit tired of all the recalls. And, at 46,000 miles the ABS system stopped working. I wonder what's next. :unsure:

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Sep 4 2006, 12:38 PM) [snapback]314105[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't had any recalls to my knowledge on my 06's.

I"m amazed there are not many more since these are so cutting edge!
    Toyota has done a really good job at providing a high risk cutting edge product!

If they broke frequently or were not to be trusted, they would not be selling like wildfire like they are.

I have two and Have had only one glitch with a window not working right and they promptly fixed it... they run flawlessly and I couldn't think of driving without them!

Driving in anything but a prius is just plain boring!......

I suppose driving something that would break the speed limit in 6 seconds would be fun.. but I value my license a bit too much to drive one.

I do definately recommend the extended warranty... not because I'm worried about it breaking down, but rather I'm worried about how much it would cost if it did!

18. Loveit

Loveit New Member

What is a BT plate? and what is it suppose to do or handle?

As you can see, I am saving for a rainy day, the day when I too, will own a Prius. I am reading a lot of the threads on this site to be informed.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ Sep 4 2006, 05:05 PM) [snapback]314230[/snapback]</div>
    A couple of links for you to check out.....

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14657&st=20
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15195&hl=
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...amp;hl=bt+plate
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...amp;hl=bt+plate

20. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All this talk of lists is very confusing to me. There are 3 dealers near me that always seem to have Prius on the lot. I walked into one of these dealers and they had 3 at that moment, and I bought one. There was no mention of a list at all, and I never heard this until I saw it here on Priuschat.

In my opinion, if any dealer is giving you a line about a list, you should go to the next dealer.