1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wally world

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hobbit, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Well who's fault is this? I'd place the burden of blame more upon the Chinese government, not Walmart, although I do agree they don't really seem to *help* the situation...

2. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have any comments on this article?

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, I have a comment on that article. Don't forward links to
    subscription-only sites unless you have made a freely available
    backup copy of it somewhere else. I know the workarounds, but
    it's poor form and annoying.
    _H*

4. hockeybrat

hockeybrat Member

I don't shop there. I used to, but it would frustrate me to no end. On the practical side, I couldn't stand the skinny aisles crammed with stuff, lack of customer service, etc. The prices were fairly reasonable but it wasn't worth fighting the huge crowds to shop. The only thing I liked was their eye care center.

Then I heard about how they treated their employees and I stopped going altogether.

5. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have this tendency to forget that registration is required for the LA Times site (I have a cookie or something stored, so I never see the login page), and I should have mentioned thar originally. But I'm afraid you'll scare people off by referring to it as "subscription-only" -- I always thought that referred to sites that required a paid subscription, which is not the case here.

(Edited to be a bit clearer).

6. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The last time I dealt with Wally World I called ahead of time to see if they had a HDMI cable for a new high def tv I just purchased. The gal looked and she said "yep, we have em". I went across town to get it and then it hit me. Yes, they had a cable but it was a HDMI to DVI converter cable. ARGH.

Such is life in the cheap lane. You get what you pay for.

7. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I shop at Wally World regularly. It's very close to me. Many , many others, who vote with their wallet do also.

My brother abslutely refuses to shop at Wal-Mart. He's been a high school teacher all of his post-college life. When he travels with his Class C RV, he carries a Wal-Mart US Atlas map which provides details of every Wal-Mart in the US; i.e., is the store a supercenter or not, and how close to an Interstate exit.

So, he shops Wal-Mart when he's sure that he WON'T BE RECOGNIZED by anyone who knows him. A career teacher is very recognizable.

I wonder how many anti-wally-world peeps are PC (politically cautious) when it comes to Wal-Mart.

I am neither personally pro nor anti-Wal-Mart, but definately support laissez faire capitalism. The attack on Wal-Mart is about Labor Unions and collectivism - that is, FORCED collective bargaining. A mixed economy, in which Capitalism is restrained by politicians (federal, state and local), will eventually impoverish the nation.

Here's a link to one of my favorite blogstresses, who also links to a Rich Lowry article about the "Fear and Loathing" of Wal-Mart:

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_s...rt_america.html

Don't miss the tangential point at the end of the article, re KYOTO, et al!

Expecting derision and flagellation. :eek:

8. slortz

slortz New Member

I think if capitlism is completely unrestrained then you have a system that is ripe for corruption and cut-throat business practices that don't help but a few self-interested individuals. Who wants to set ourselves up for the good ole days of the Great Depression? Anti-trust laws are a pretty good thing, I think.
    If a company can grow so large that it is able to squash all current and potential competition, not by its superior quality products or services, but instead by lobbying influence, price-fixing, or other practices that don't involve the actually business product or service offered then that won't help consumers or society.

I'm not pro or anti Wal-Mart either but I do recognize that checks and balances are necessary.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea yea, the same can be said about the internet. The world evolves in many ways and one way it's currently evolving is in the marketplace. Walmart is but a small part of that change. They're the current king-of-the-mountain, used to be Sears, then K-mart, maybe in 10 years it'll be Target.

If you don't like it, don't shop there, that's your tool to deal with your perceptions of the marketplace.

I guess I'm a liberal hypocrit too, I'm a firm believer in the free market and, currently, Wal-mart is working that free market beautifully. It's up to the rest of the world to adapt and overcome, not to Wal-mart to compromise and sacrifice.

I shop there and hate it, but not b/c of the business practices, rather b/c I feel like taking out about 1/2 of the idiot brain numb customers that can't seem to figure out how to push their carts in a straight line.

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I just put up a Wal-Mart poll.

I'll be putting up a poll on recycling next.

BTW, I'm one of the fixed-income schlepps who feels he has to stretch his dollar for the family at Wal-Mart---and K-Mart, and Target, Walgreen's, the Dollar Store, Big Lots AND---just opened in Vacaville Saturday---Stupid Prices! (see stupidprices.com)

11. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anti-trust laws are the equivalent of original sin which presumes guilt. American businessmen have little or no chance to prove innocence when the law is invoked.

The idea of antitrust laws is that free competition is enforced by law. The idea is gross contradiction in terms.

Per Ayn Rand, regarding antitrust laws; I identify it as: the penalizing of ability for being ability, the penalizing success for being success, and the sacrifice of productive genius for the demands of envious mediocrity.

12. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Strong and resilant communities need a strong local economy and workforce. Wal Mart under cuts every local economy. Millions of dollars leave the local economy (thereby devasting the former local retailers). NEVER go to Wal Mart, not even the parking lot or to use the restroom.

13. cdavid

cdavid Member

I think this is boiling down to the issue of imports. I guess we shouldn't support any business that imports anything to this country. Everything must be made here. Only that way can we be sure we're not taking away jobs for Americans and ruining communities.

Lets see, that means no Home Depot, No Lowes, Kohls, mp Target. No cell phones, except Motorola, or at least the ones made here. No switches, routers, ram, etc. they are all made overseas. Can't think of too many shoes or sneakers made here, hey, lets go barefoot.

Rats, the darn sealant I use on my car is made overseas so I can't detail it, but that's OK, so is my Prius, I better cancel my order. I guess I'll have to drive my Dodge Ram, but alot of that was made south of the border, and its unfair of our Mexican neighbors since we're taking advantage of them.

Picking on WalMart is unfair. They are operating in a free enterprise economy for the most part. They are bringing convenience and value to people, alot of people. You are not required to shop there, nor is anyone else. If they don't meet a localities needs, another business will arise to fill the void. That's our way.

14. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius