1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart and Hybrids

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by techogurl, Nov 1, 2005.

1. techogurl

techogurl New Member

I was at the dealership a few weeks ago to get my oil changed. I noticed that for the first time ever... there were hybrids on the lot. In this case, 2 Pri and the Lexus. As this was odd because the dealership has a crazy waitlist when you can go an hour or two away and get a Pri without waiting...I asked the guy who was detailing them. Apparently Walmart has bought a fleet of 100 hybrids for interoffice travel. I wonder if this is part of their trying to improve their image push or mainly to save $$ vs the environment.

EDIT: Ok I meant to type they are renting them...so in a few years there will be a ton of Pri available used thanks to Walmart. Also, I wasn't posting this to bash them. I was just pondering if the push was for environment or $$. I know in this case you get both, but... they are doing alot as far as enviroment which is costing them $$.

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Image only! Everything is about image!

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Rest assured, if Walmart is doing it, somone is getting exploited somewhere... :lol:

All kidding aside, that's good to hear... B)

4. HeyKB

HeyKB Not so new member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Corporations are created for only one reason - to make money. It is safe to conclude that Walmart has determined that buying 100 hybrids will help them make money. They will probably save money on the fuel and maintenance vs buying non-hybrids. Figure they'll sell the cars once they've been depreciated.

It's all about the Benjamins.

Karl B.

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: For you who think WallMart is "unAmerican" and exploitive... The Dallas Morning News (11/1/2005) Business Section contained statistics on the "Wall groups of stores" more than 30% share of the consumables market in the Dallas area. It is well to note that *MANY* Americans are employed by these stores with good healthcare benefits available, and many moderate to lower income families are able to save dollars from their limited budgets with their competitive prices.

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wal-mart will go down as one of the WORST corporations of the early 21st century.

-abuse employees(hours and overtime)
    -no benefits(10/hr and insurance costs 5/hr)
    -discrimination
    -purchasing headquarters in China

Luckily I think they have already reached their zenith

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    May I suggest that you read the following:

8. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wal-Mart is a terrible corporation. All the Wal-Marts in this area have used TIF districts to screw the local communites out of tax money among other things.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good post, and I'd like to add the following...

http://www.counterpunch.org/cox04202004.html -- Walmart's Magic Numbers.

A quick snippet:

10. craigcush

craigcush Member

11. Mystery Squid

I just wanted to throw in I think CEO salaries should be an agreed upon proportion to that of the lowest paid employee.

12. craigcush

craigcush Member

Added note;

As I was digging deeper there are multiple trailers at the bottom of this page and an archive I haven't had time to look at.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/wmtv/2005/10/b...ee_discount.php

"warning dialup users some vids are large 20-30 meg files"

Maybe the direction this is going should be directed towards FHOPancakes forum?

Anyway, share with people that care and those in local govt. javascript:emoticon(';)')

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not sure how bad being an employee is there but I imagine it cannot be that bad or people would stop working there. On the flip side they do give out a lot of money to the community. I belong to a few clubs and we solicite the local Walmart for donations and they give $1000 here and there (for prizes, funds to hold events, etc). They even opened up Sam's club to non-members for the day for our organization and gave us free gifts.

Then again you know it is bad when your Quicken money program asks if you want to make a monthly allotment to Walmart because of the repeated purchases there. :p

14. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why?

Lets say you founded and currently run a company. It is your company. Don't you think your entitled to whatever you want. Of course one has to be careful or the business won't stay successful.

For public companies the CEO's are the captains. The captain of a commericial airlines might make $250,000 a year. You have to be willing to pay to get the people you want to captain. Athletes can make multi millions in one year.

For those that say Wal-Mart has bad benefits: THEY ARE BENEFITS. Wal-Mart is not required to give anything. Go find a job somewhere else with better benefits if that is what you want.

15. craigcush

craigcush Member

I agree with part of your post. THE CEO should be paid, but as quoted earlier that amount is getting out of hand.

They ARE benefits.... on paper (one of those is being eligible for medicaid). Getting those benefits is not easy. Please check out the links I and others have posted here and do your own search.
    I am sympathetic to the workers there. I am not out to bash them for their occupation. I and perhaps others here only wish to inform them of WalMart's history.

Our society tends to overextend their finances, especially after landing a new job. Knowing that your employer makes it a practice of layoffs (many cases of this) just before you are eligible for benefits is just that , knowledge. So maybe knowing this history will keep one informed and make sound financial decisions.

Click on the link and go see the movie, its free.. then make a informed choice.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

16. Mystery Squid

haha, that is more relevant to me than any of you know. :ph34r:

Personally, I would NOT run a company where my salary isn't some fixed multiple of what the lowest paid employee makes. The wealthier I get, the wealthier my employees would get right along side me (and yes, I'm fully aware there are plenty of other methods to accomplish this).

To directly answer your question though, sure, you're entitled to do what you want, according to whatever values you might set.

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I understand that's how Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream works.

18. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Uh, where would this money come from? Walmart has 1.6 million employees. Let's say they work an average of 40 hours a week. That's 3,328,000,000 man-hours a year, so raising their salary by 25 cents per hour ($520/year) will cost $832,000,000 dollars per year. Raising an executive's annual salary by one million dollars is one-tenth of one percent of that.

Plus, where are you going to get that $832 million per year? Raising prices? You'd have to do it pretty stealthily to prevent lots of people from buying their crap somewhere else.

Honestly, I haven't seen or read anything particularly bad that Walmart has done, relatively speaking. There are tons and tons of far worse companies but they're too small for people to care. Walmart is very large so people like to target it. People always attack the big guys and naively believe small = good.

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :mellow: Hmmmmm.... Can't help but wonder how many of these "Anti-WallMart" posters purchase items at WallMart, WallMart Neighborhood Markets or Sam's.?? It wouldn't surprise me if some of them are (In American Native slang) "speaking with forked tounges." I'm sure they'd never admit it, though. ;)

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Walmart was guilty of buying 'pesant insurance' for their workers. Ya know, the kind of insurance you take out behind your employees back, so if they happen to die, you get benefits paid out.

Classy company.