1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart charging fiasco

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Ayerscreek, Aug 15, 2012.

1. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have charge stations at work. Someone at work remarked as to why I get the benefit of the school paying for the electricity that I use to charge my car.

I think that is the overall problem we EV people will experience. They see an upfront spot and it's for EV people, well screw them I'm taking this spot.

If there is a sign that says you will be towed at your expense and here is the towing company -- that changes the story. Now it hurts my pocketbook and I won't risk it.

On a side note, I want to believe that people truly are not mean spirited and that EVs are still so new that people just think nobody uses those spaces. Perhaps a kind little note that simply says "Hi I needed the charge but you were using the spot" -- might get some people to stop parking there.

priuskitty likes this.
  2. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh.. one last note. We had a problem with ICEing at my work also. Once I complained to person in charge of sustainability about the problem and that there will be more EV or EVHV's coming and those spaces can now be used, they started coning off the spaces and ticketing.

Problem solved. Nobody parks in the EV spots. Most everyone has seen my bright blue Prius plugged into the electric spot now. I think there are two other EV people at my job, but I have a very loud voice.

And as my grandmother taught me, the squeaky wheel always gets oiled.
    Get them to put cones out.

At AAA in downtown LA, they did the same thing. Cones out and the EV spots are always open. It's like magic.
    Nobody wants to pull their overweight body out of their SUV to move a cone to get back into their SUV to park illegally. Ya -- I know that's mean... but aren't all SUV drivers o-beast?

priuskitty likes this.
  3. What is so difficult about putting your location in ? Posts 28 and 40

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No you wouldn't - not if the merchant taps you obscenely high prices the way the 800 walmart EVSE's are set up. At the slow rate that the PiP charges, you end up paying way over $1 per kwh. On the bright side, they are, and always will be AVAILABLE (due to non-use). Talk about a perfectly good waste of charging infrastructure. Some stations end up costing over $2 per kWh. You could literally drive a 10mpg land barge for less then some of the stations charge. I don't get it - what's the point in installing them. I'd call the auto club to get a free flat bed ride home before I'd support that kind of nonsense.

5. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ahh yeah, I didn't know they charged. I use the free ones! I know the Wal-Greens are like 1$ per hour but minimun 2$... Screw that noise.

6. We would be much better off installing all free chargers than exploring for new oil, I wonder if anyone in Washington gets that.

7. At some near future period, all these charging stAtions will be dismantled due to lack of usage. It will then be declared that the whole concept was a failure, as there was no support.

KK6PD likes this.