1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Uberdriver2710, May 2, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have separate snow tires on rims, DIY my own swaps, and purposely buy replacement tires for the set that are off the car. Doesn't save me any money, but ensures they're torqued right, and I clean and dress the hubs, with a very thin application of anti-seize.

Really just need a "hint" of anti-seize, then move it around the hub face. Old tooth brushes work good for that.

Getting tires on loose rims is also a good ploy if you're trying to dodge TPMS sensor install.

Just say a little prayer when driving with loose wheels, not sure how secure that rope is...

IMG_9695.JPG
    (I believe that's the old tires, on the way to tire shop. Plenty of tread, but aging out.)

#21 Mendel Leisk, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Bay Stater, Grit and Uberdriver2710 like this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking into buying used tire and balancing machines. Then I just have to buy the weights.

kc5dlo and Uberdriver2710 like this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used to use anti-seize, but it hardens up after time and screws up the the lug nuts and bolts.
    I'll stick to wd40 when or if I need anything.

Uberdriver2710 likes this.
  4. Uberdriver2710

Uberdriver2710 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd probably go with lithium, in that case. I've only seen it get thicker, after a long time.

Graphite grease may work, too.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are we still talking about hub dressing??

6. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I bought a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight with the savings from buying some trailer tires online. Also allowed me to sandblast and repaint the steel wheels while the tires were off. I saw a video on youtube where someone modified the tire changer to work with a duckbill and essentially makes it a touchless tire changer that wont damage the wheels. Not sure yet what i will do about the balancing but I know for a fact I wont be spending 20.00 per tire for balancing and then 20.00 more per tire for Lifetime Balancing like I did last time to get the "Free Tire" after paying for 3.

Uberdriver2710 and RMB like this.