1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wandering Steering at highway speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joe1987, Jul 20, 2013.

1. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wrong topic.

2. Europe Amsterdam Area

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello, I have the same problem with my 2010 prius. In europe we are allowed to drive very high speeds and my prius is wandering like a battleship. I ordered a mid and front brace last week and will see what it does for the handeling when it is mounted..Further I m considering to lower the car with trd springs and put a trd swaybar between the rear wheels. This must help bust will cost me a lot of money. I love my prius but hate the unsafe feeling at high speeds ...
    Hope you will find also a sollution for you gen II prius.

greeting from europe

3. Ron358

Ron358 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the same problem with a 2020 Prime Limited. Had alignment done, new tires, and I still feel turbulence when driving 70-75. I really like the size and features of the Limited version. Especially the 25-30 miles of the way it drives on electricity only. It’s nimble, quiet, and a lot faster than the gas motor. I average 68 mpg when I charge it overnight. The steering, outside noise coming in, lack of spare tire, are things I don’t like. I really think I’m going to drive this one until an electric car with decent range at a decent price comes out in next year or so. I’ve had 2 other Prius that had none of the problems I mentioned. I really think all car manufacturers are cutting corners on basics of cars opting for technology. It’s a shame for a car, especially a Toyota, that stickers for $36K, won’t drive down the highway without wandering. I don’t have lane departure on either. Shame on you Toyota!

#23 Ron358, Apr 4, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
  4. Albert Barbuto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've owned my 2005, with 65k miles, for a year and a half. On the highway it wandered, with both the Michelin tires it came with, and the new Nokian Entyre 2.0 LRR.

I do my own alignments with a laser, after being dissatisfied with "within spec". I adjusted the toe-in ever so slightly, as the tires were originally at zero degrees toe. Car tracks great now, and I could not be any happier. :)

I want to stress that the difference in toe adjustment is miniscule, from tracking to not tracking.