1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want a cheap used Prius just to drive in carpool lane in rush hour.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ragnarkar, Mar 20, 2011.

1. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Civics will always be cheaper to maintain compared to the Prius.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Provide proof to backup your random crap.

Older Civics use timing belts that must be changed. Priuses use a timing chain (no change needed). 3rd gen Prius has NO belts. Brakes on Priuses last forever (many documented cases of going 100K+ miles on the original brakes). 3rd gen Prius oil change interval is 10K miles and now, oil changes in the 1st 2 years/25K miles are free.

3. avocadoman1

avocadoman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    my Gen 2 has 85K miles. has original brakes. i recently took tech to get brakes checked. he says i'm not even 50% worn.
    Hey!!! 85K and brakes are only 50% worn. guess i'm doing the "pulse & glide" pretty good, eh?

on my Gen 2...when i check my oil after 5K miles it's not even dirty so I usually change at 7500-8000.
    and, oh by the way...it only used a bit over 3 quarts!

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have bullshit tourettes? Same thing over and over with no proof for and loads against.

FYI, I OWNED a Honda Civic (2001 EX) and its maintenance costs were much much higher than the Prius. I did clutch, belts, alternator, water pump, radiator, brakes quite often, oil changes often, door actuators, display cluster back lights (expensive), airbag control module, and more in the 7 years I owned it. Also 1st gear in the manual transmission was dying, and you could hear it growl when engaged. Put 90k miles on the car, and it will probably last another 100k before it explodes. Great car.

For the Prius I have put on 20k miles and have done:
    2 oil changes

The Prius is also a great car. And I expect it to last at least as long as my old civic (which I still see every week with the new owner driving it). But the maintenance costs are much much lower. If something catastrophic goes wrong it will be equivalent to the Honda.

Price quote to rebuild the tranny on the Honda (just 1st gear was going but once you're in there it doesn't makes sense to skimp) was about $2500. I know that there are only 2 parts on a Prius that cost that much from the dealership: Battery ($2200-$2400) and Transaxle (MGs + ICE + PSD). And both can be had for cheap from an auto yard just like the Honda if that route ever needs to be taken.