1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want ANDROID AUTO ? .....email Toyota from this contact page !

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by GKL, Feb 25, 2020.

1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think part of it is that it seems much of the public in non-carb states are not fully aware of PHEV's because they are not advertised in those areas, I recently mentioned about the Prime we're getting to some people at our local hardware store and how it has the option to plug-in and run on electric only and they were amazed as if they never heard of such vehicles before.

When we ordered our Prime thru our local dealership back in January the salesman only remembered one other person doing a special order from Japan and that is a huge dealership. They did have one non-plug-in Prius on the lot which he went with us for a test drive just so we could get a basic feel for what the Prime might feel like and he was very knowledgeable about the non-plug-in Prius.

I think the Prime would sell a fair amount more in non-carb states IF they advertised them so the public in those areas are more fully aware of them AND dealerships tried to keep at least 2 or 3 in stock at all times for test drives and so people could buy and drive off immediately as some people might not want to wait 90-120 days for one to come from Japan like we are doing. (and as sales increase they could keep more and more in stock)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree, and that's one of the reasons they are ambivalent about selling them. if they were truly interested, we would have 50 state inventory and promotion.

3. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree they should have a few on every dealership lot.

However I think it is just a bit complicated on the general thoughts of a plug in hybrid.
    You may not catch the ones that think you HAVE to plug it in, and you sure wont
    capture the ones that want a BEV.

Some Toyota salespeeps that I have chatted with dont have any understanding of hybrids (which is very strange)
    and the time I test drove a Prime (although was a new salesman) had absolutely not clue on the Prime,
    except how to open the door and close it.

To add in insanity, the US buyers are still on a gasser kick, bigger is better and with gas price being so low,
    there is not much reason for them to look into efficient cars.

4. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    We live in a non-carb state and had to order our Prime (still waiting on it) it would be interesting if there was a way to see how many Prime owners there are in our state given they are not advertised or easy to get here.

I think some of the public might have been lulled into complacency about gas prices and assume they will always stay low, I'd rather be prepared with a PHEV as it could take just one crisis overseas and gas prices could go way up and even be shortages like what happened many years ago with long lines at gas stations. (even with relatively low gas prices the savings with a PHEV is worth having now anyhow)

5. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Also, haven't heard anything specifically related to Toyota vehicles, but I hope the Coronavirus does not affect the production rate and delivery time of the Prime to the U.S. (obviously the priority is I hope they get it under control for the sake of people's health)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i read yesterday that they were beginning to open 4 factories, but probably all for china sales

7. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Okay, thanks, did not know if the Prime factory in Japan depended on any parts made in China that could affect the production rate.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that i can't answer. but i think most all cars rely on chinese parts. i have read that supply is pretty good, but it could all change overnight.
    the good news i hope, is that infection rates seem to be slowing at ground zero

9. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    …….Thanks, that is good news, people's health are the obvious priority, how it affects companies are secondary.

10. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just got a reply to my follow-up email, here is a quote from the reply:

"We are sorry but do not have any additional insight in this regard at this time." (end quote)

The above reply is to what I wrote in my follow-up email as follows:

We have heard there are no "current plans" to add Android Auto to the 2020 Prius Prime, but can you elaborate and tell us if that still might be a future possibility or should we give up all hope of ever having Android Auto on the 2020 Prius Prime ?

Also, If not, then why not ?

……….I was hoping they'd at least explain the "why not ?" :rolleyes::D

11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got 2020 PRIME LE. I don't own an iPhone and refuse to buy any Apple products. My first impression with the infotainment system that comes with the LE model (smaller 7" LCD head unit) is quite usable even without Apple Play, at least to me. It requires Entune 3.0 running on an Android phone to access the apps like Scout GPS Link and Toyota-Alexa. Even without Android Auto, the connected functionality is far better than the way infotainment worked on the previous 2017 Premium model with an 11.6" display running Entune 2.0. But I have never used Android Auto on any vehicle, so I really don't know what I am missing without having that functionality on current PRIME. One functionality I do like on the LE model that is not available on XLE and Limited trim is the ability to use equipped telematics to turn the car into a WiFi hot spot via Verizon LTE service. They give 2GB complimentary access to this service, but no rate is posted after that first 2GB. I may keep this service if it proves to be a useful feature. But my feeling is that it will be too costly for the very occasional need, especially after 3 years of complimentary Safety Connect subscription expires.

Screenshot 2020-03-01 at 11.30.03 PM.png

#31 Salamander_King, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Montgomery and GKL like this.
  12. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Interesting, I am still educating myself on various aspects of the Prime while awaiting delivery and I noticed you said:

"It requires Entune 3.0 running on an Android phone to access the apps like Scout GPS Link and Toyota-Alexa."

So you can have Entune just on your Android phone without needing it on the car infotainment system itself ?

We are waiting on delivery of a 2020 Prime XLE and we only use Android phones (I prefer to not even have to buy a cheap used iPhone) so I am still figuring out what all is the best way to set up and run things.

The main things I'm concerned about being able to do are:
    1.) make and receive calls by voice command thru the car audio speakers
    2.) use the maps and navigation on the 11.6" display
    3.) have received texts read over the audio and respond to texts by voice

As far as I know I can do #1 and #3 simply by having the Android phone connected via Bluetooth
    and #2 by simply using the built-in maps and navigation

So unless I am missing something I don't know if being able to use Carplay or Android Auto would really make a big difference as it looks like I can do those 3 things I mentioned above without either one.

Also, I didn't list it above, but I'd also be using the built-in Amazon Alexa.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune 3.0 is App running interface already installed on the car's infotainment system, but by itself, it does not do anything. In order to use the suit of apps installed under Entuen3.0, you must use Android or iPhone with Entune 3.0 phone app installed on it and registered it with the car. Certain apps like Scout GPS Link requires the Scout GPS link on the phone to be running and plugged into USB in order to see the full map feature on the car display. Most other apps can be used simply using Bluetooth link. However, this phone based navi limitation may be only for LE model without in-car map function. XLE and Limited trims comes with in-car installed navigation functionality. I personally like the way LE navi is set up. This way, map data never gets outdated as the case of built-in map data. As you may be aware, Toyota charges over $200 for map data update.

On XLE and Limite with in-car nav on the head unit, all three functions are available without CarPlay. A hands-free phone can be used almost all phones with Bluetooth. In fact, in my 2017 PRIME, I was using an old Windows Phone. As long as it has Bluetooth version that is required by the car, it will work as a hands-free phone unit. SMS message function should also work with any phone with Bluetooth, but I am not sure about this one, for I never used this functionality in my car before. Toyota's voice recognition system in 2017 PRIME was so bad, it would never respond to my command. It was so frustrating, I quit using it in short order. I have not explored the voice command functionality on my new 2020 LE yet, but I tried using Toyota-Alexa functions which worked OK in terms of recognizing my voice commands. I may configure Alexa to do most of the things in the car. What I noticed was Toyota-Alexa in-car device does not seem to work like an Amazon Echo device. It could not use my Spotify account to stream music, while regular Echo can do this. So there are some functionality limitations on Toyota-Alexa.

#33 Salamander_King, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    GKL likes this.
  14. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Our current car, a 2015 Kia Soul, has the ability to do hands-free calls and text thru Bluetooth on our android phones and also worked when we had Windows phones, so I guess I would have been surprised if a 2020 car couldn't do the same as far as that.

We use Alexa to control several different things in our home, so it will be nice to have at least some of that ability in the Prime also.

While they don't show Prime commercials in our area, I have seen commercials for other regular cars that had Alexa capability and it showed the driver being able to use Alexa in the car to turn on things in their house while they were on the way home, in addition to just doing stuff in the car itself.

I'll have to see if I can find a list that shows all the different things you can do using Alexa in the Prime.

As far as the maps/navigation I guess we'll use the built-in one on the 11.6" display.

I have read posts talking about how pricey it is to update maps, but I was wondering how often does that really need updating ?

Unless someone does a lot of driving in new areas they usually don't drive where they are not familiar with the roads, just how important is updating the map that often ? While most places might have an occasional new road built, I would think the map should not change all that much unless you live in an area where there is a lot of expansion being done into outlying unimproved areas where a good number of new roads might be built each year.

Do the maps cover the entire country or do they just install a map for the state you live in ?

I'll have to do some research, but I'd be surprised if there are any new major roads built in our state that often, I would think most of the new roads might be relatively short residential streets when they occasionally build a new housing community, but those roads would very likely not ever be part of our traveling.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any reply from toyota yet?

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not played with Toyota+Alexa or regular Amazon Alexa app extensively. I mainly use an Echo devise at my home as music player linked to my Spotify account. I have one light that is being controlled by it. But it gets confusing if I try to control more than one light. Naming each individual light and broadcasting the name is awkward, and I just don't have too many lights plugged into the wall. If I wanted to control wall switches, it can get even more confusing to poor Alexa. LOL. The Toyota+Alexa device is attached to your Amazon account, but it seems to have much less skills that can perform than regular Echo. It could not play my Spotify music for example. I did not try light switch yet, but I think if you already have Echo in your home connected to WiFi, then your regular Amazon Alexa phone app should be able to control whatever linked to your home Echo regardless of where your are in the car or not. So, I don't see the point of that functionality by Toyota+Alexa.

That totally depends on where you need to go. Historically, Toyota's in-car nav data are always 1-2 years behind when new. My 2017 PRIME had 2016 map data. I did not have much problem using it up until recently where I visited, but from time to time, road names are different, toll booth are no longer present, and direction it navigate can be off if they don't know the new road that opened recently. We also have 2014 Nav map data on our Nissan. That one is totally out dated that it does not give me confidence to use it when we visit a big city with a lot of new developments. Just like Toyota, Nissan charges a lot of money to update the map data on its in-car Navi. Instead of paying over $200 on most up to date OEM map data which stopped at 2017, we just use stand alone Garmin GPS unit with free life-time map update. It cost less than $150 for the newest one with voice command and traffic data.

I think Toyota's in-car navi map data covered entire North America including Canada and Mexico. But I am not sure how accurate they are in areas I have never visited with the car. Of course if you already know the area well enough about new developments, you probably don't need a navi. Our need for navi is only for the out of town visits to a new places, which happens less than a few times a year for us. For that reason, paying extra for a in-car navi unit is not very practical when I can get much better functionality either from phone or stand alone GPS unit.

#36 Salamander_King, Mar 2, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  17. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry, I likely posted it on a related thread but not this one, here is the reply from the follow-up email I sent them:

"We are sorry but do not have any additional insight in this regard at this time." (end quote)

I was hoping they would have at least explained "why not ?" :LOL:

bisco likes this.
  18. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yep, I can control at-home devices thru my phone app, just thought it'd be neat (and easier) to do it by voice control from the car :LOL:

I have several living room lamps on an extension cord plugged into one smart-plug so I can say "turn on the lamps" and all the living room lamps come on at once. It didn't happen all at once, but as I needed a new appliance occasionally I found one that was Alexa enabled, so now I can control the microwave and window air conditioner with Alexa, also can change channels, play and pause, when watching videos, access security cameras using Alexa. Seems they are adding Alexa to more and more things all the time :LOL:

Most of the places we go would be within about 35 miles of home and we would know how to get there, very occasionally there might be a place we would need to go to we've never been to before and the navigation would come in handy.

I wonder if they really need to charge that much to cover the cost of map updates or are they charging that much because they know people are limited in where they can get such updates for their car ?

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's just a price gouging, IMHO. I have seen some TOYOTA OEM GPS microSD memory card sold on eBay and Amazon much cheaper than at a dealer. Unfortunately there were none that could fit the 2017 PRIME Premium (and Advanced) model. I have a feeling that Toyota may be moving to phone app linked GPS on most of newer cars now. That way map data are free as long as linked apps are updated. I don't know how those app makers make money, but so far I am not seeing advertisement pop up on the Scout GPS Link yet.

GKL likes this.
  20. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I wonder if the ones sold on ebay and Amazon are ones an owner bought and used and are reselling them to recoup some of their cost or do the sellers have access to buying them in bulk at a discount to be able to offer a lower price ?

Yep, free apps and computer software usually have to make money somehow, either by advertising pop-ups, or some of them might offer their basic version for free and have an advanced paid version with more features they hope a certain percentage of the basic users will upgrade to.