1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want mirror with compass

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by smtrader, Jun 25, 2005.

1. smtrader

smtrader Member

I want to replace my existing mirror with one that has a compass. I'm looking for an after-market mirror. Questions:

1. What is the mirror "mount" that I should look for?
    2. I saw the GNTX-120 on ebay. Would that work in my 04 Prius?
    3. Does anyone have an installer to recommend in the SoCal area?

Thanks much!! Brian :D

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I've installed a 2003 Camry compass/auto-dimming mirror. Mount is same across the Toyota line: metal plate glued to windshield, mirror slides onto that then fastens with a hex screw. Wiring is same as factory mirror that has the homelink. Directions are here at Priuschat somewhere, do a search.

I'm actually in the market for another, as my SO has a Silver AM on order! Not sure on the Gentex ones, although they are OEM for many cars.

Hope this helps a little.

Curt.

3. smtrader

smtrader Member

Thanks, Curt.

What is "OEM"? And, did you do the install yourself? If not, how much did it cost approx?

Lastly, I was told that there are 2 types of "mount" and that I should be sure to get the "right one" if it's not a Toyota one. Since I'm looking at a Gentex on ebay, I want to be sure to buy the right one.

Brian

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM = original equipment manufacturer. It basically means "factory" or "Stock" equipment. Gentex supplies mirrors for a lotta different companies including Toyota

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I did install it myself, so labor costs are going to be whatever per hour a stereo shop would charge. Took me an hour and a half using the istructions here:
    http://www.vfaq.net/mods/ECMirror.html

I didn't take off all the panels to run wires and such. Was not difficult, but I'm fairly experienced at disassembling car dashes!

I would think the Gentex mirror would state what kind of mount it has and what it would fit. Maybe a google search would reveal some info.

Good luck!

PS the mirror itself was 80 bucks on ebay last year about this time. This year for my SO's Silver AM that is coming in a month I'm looking at this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    It's ended, but there are others available. If you go with a Toyota within the last 2-3 years, the mount will be "the right one".

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is the one thing I actually do miss about my 2000 GMC Sierra SLT pickup. It had a great autodimming rearview mirror with compass and temp display that worked very well.

Since I frequently check the rearview mirror, it was easy to get updated about direction and temperature.

The only problem was driving under HV power lines tended to confuse the compass and it would display "CAL" or Calibrate. The drill: drive in a clockwise circle at under 5 mph around 6 times, then drive in a counterclockwise circle at under 5 mph for 6 times.

It was also important to program the correct compass compensation, but that was easy enough to do. No scantool needed.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just noticed that the mirror for the 2005 Avalon is Homelink AND compass. It seems you need both the mirror and a harness kit, hard to say since I haven't seen a kit in person.

Nate

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you don't already have the autodimming/homelink mirror, you will need the harness.
    You can save a bit on the installation and get 12V+ and ground from the overhead console, but you will have to thread the ACC/Ig-On wire through the headliner, down the A pillar, into the junctionbox. By limiting the full length harness to only one wire, instead of the 3, will make it less likely you interfere with the side curtain airbag if you have it.

And yes, according to the repair manual, the homelink mirror has a different mount than the standard mirror.

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, on the sigma automotive link, I actually have their Gentex NVS auto-dimming comp/temp/map light with homelink mirror in my 2001 Acura NSX. It is a well made mirror and looks very nice. It works well and I have had no issues at all with it. This might be a good mod for those that want the compass/temperature feature. Oh, and it apprently will mount to the factory mirror button on the windshield.