1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want new 15" wheels for 06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by healthizez, Dec 29, 2006.

1. healthizez

healthizez Junior Member

[attachmentid=6051] I just put winter studded tires on my '06 prius stock wheels and want to buy a new set of 15" wheels to put the OEM's back on (and hope the tires wear out fast so I can buy better tires :p ). I really want to stay with lightweight wheels so no heavy chrome wheels (even though they'd look great on my red Prius). What width of wheel can I go with? It's hard to find a 15X6 but easy to find 15X7. I buy most of my tires/wheels at Les Schwab (Northwest area company) and they offer an American Racing machined "Estrella" that weighs 14lbs. Any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am not a wheel expert but I know you need to consider both width and offset. Also I think your '06 has the tire pressure sensors, if you buy different wheels what do you do about them? I think they need to be programmed into the car so it can see them and you can only have one set of 4 programmed in. As to wheel width I think you can check the tire manufacturers recommendation for wheel width for each size tire. But if you go with wider wheels you need to make sure they clear the brakes and suspension etc. I would think Les Schwab would have that information for you.

EDIT: If you stay with 15" wheels and buy your tires at Les Schwab check out the Toyo Proxes TPT size 205/60-15, I have been using them and they seem to be very good all weather performance tires. Revolutions per mile are within 1% of the OEM Goodyears.

You may already know this but some people have used 16" or 17" wheels. 195/55-16 tires are used on the Touring version and the European version; 215/45-17 tires have also been used.

3. healthizez

healthizez Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Dec 29 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]368233[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the tips. I don't see many posts about Les Schwab tires so its good to know I have a good choice of tire from them. How is the mileage since going with a wider (205) tire? How is the clearance?
    I took my sensors off my wheels when I put my winter tires on and I am going to mount them on new wheels. At about $480, I wasn't going to buy a new set...just for the car to tell me my tire is low.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(healthizez @ Dec 29 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]368367[/snapback]</div>
    The clearance is no problem with 205/60-15 tires. Freeway mileage is about the same maybe a shade less. Around town and local trip mileage is down 3 or 4 MPG. The Proxes TPT revolutions per mile for the 205/60-15 size is 847 vs 855 for the OEM tires. This has helped to correct some of the speedometer error, it was about 1.5 to 2 MPH fast at 70 MPH with the original tires now it is less than 1 MPH fast. I checked it with a good quality GPS receiver. The Proxes TPT is also available in 185/65-15 size and has about the same revs per mile as the OEM tires.

I don't blame you for not buying new sensors at that price. How did you shut the alarm off, I thought they would alarm when there were no sensors?

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Dec 29 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]368233[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, it don't matter; my HyCam never noticed. The sensor just knows when the tire pressure is low. In my mother in law's '06, that is exactly what it did. And then she got nitro in the tires, and now, no low pressure warning light.

6. healthizez

healthizez Junior Member

[I don't blame you for not buying new sensors at that price. How did you shut the alarm off, I thought they would alarm when there were no sensors?
    [/quote]

Without sensors the low pressure light blinks for a minute or two and then stays a steady amber color.
    No bells or alarms. I just ignore the amber warning light...no biggy. Thanks for the further info. Jim