1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to buy a Reliable Code Reader under $50

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stoner, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Stoner

Stoner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

Brand new to this forum and retired in 2017 after driving my 2008 Prius to work in Miami 250 miles round trip twice per week for the last 9 years. I then let my daughter drive the car and she put about 20K miles on it so the odometer now reads 168K miles.
    I love the Prius, but beyond regular oil changes every 5K miles and having the belt changed, I've neglected it because I thought I would just sell it after retirement. But now, I have changed my tune and would like to keep the ol' girl. She gets great mileage and is cheaper to operate than my Silverado 2500 HD! After reading several posts and being somewhat mechanically inclined, I would like to tackle many if not all of the maintenance issues I have been neglecting and bring her back up to speed again.

This week, the "check engine" light came on and two codes were read on Advance Auto's code reader. I was impressed at how easily these codes were read and told if I'm going to work on the Prius myself then I better buy a good code reader.

Can you please offer a suggestion on a good quality reader for under $50 dollars? Seems to me one that plugs in under the dash would be easier for me to operate without having to worry about wi-fi and/or bluetooth. Do I have to monitor temps and pressures or are those just fancy add-ons? FYI I have an iPhone 5S.
    Suggestions??
    Thanks,
    Stoner

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome!

Techstream is the gold standard. It's what Toyota mechanics use. It runs on Windows. Sadly, a fully legitimate copy cost's as much as a used car. But there are lots of Mini vci adapters that come with an older version of the software available for under $50 on Amazon and probably Ebay. It's easiest to install the drivers on a 32-bit Windows laptop, but I've read of people managing it on the 64-bit versions. I have it on a Linux laptop that's running Windows XP in Virtualbox. I keep the wifi turned off so that the ancient Windows XP won't get infected and the Techstream software can't go trying to authenticate and update itself.

Since you have an iPhone, the simple answer would be a wifi OBDII adapter and EngineLink, which is available on the App Store. It's not nearly as versatile, but it's a handy way to see and reset codes as well as monitor sensors. But you will need to install the Prius DTC codes. There's a thread here somewhere about how to get the codes for Toque Pro, which also work with Engine Link.

Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For $25 buy a cheap Android device that can access wifi ( wifi needed only to download the app)
    For $6 buy torque pro app
    For $18 buy an ELM 327 OBDII Bluetooth adaptor

Not sure why your budget is so low. This will save you hundreds of dollars.

Back in the day these tools cost well over $500 if not $1000. I remember when $200 was a bargain price for a reader.

If you have $120 more you could also by a pirated version of Techstream, minivci, and a cheap Windows XP laptop. This is the most versatile, but more time consuming and awkward to set up.

TL Biles and jerrymildred like this.
  4. Stoner

Stoner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply Jerry....don't have any Windows pc's available. Like you mentioned, will look for iPhone capable but still would like a corded version. I'm finding many don't work with Hybrids unfortunately. Currently looking at a JDiag OBD2 READER on Amazon for $30.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The wifi is dead simple. Just plug the device into the OBDII port and it will make its own network. In the phone, go to "Settings," tap "Wi-Fi," and select the network it created. It should have an obvious name, but the manual will tell you the name in case there's any doubt. When you unplug the adapter from the car, the phone will reacquire your previous network if it's in range.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do not bother buying any 1 trick pony code readers.

I suggest getting an adapter that does not directly read codes.

Instead just get one that collects and transmits the data. (Search elm 327 Bluetooth obdii). There are some as low as $10.

Then use an app, like the $6 Torque Pro app paired with a cheap ($25?) Android phone or tablet.

The whole setup is well within your $50 budget.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like my VXDIAG with TECHSTREAM off amazon.com works very well full techstream one piece unit. The little box plugs into the obd connector the other end is a usb that plugs into a laptop. Has same software as the dealer uses. $77.

I also have a scan gauge X gauge. Thats a really handy box its a universal code reader but no techstream. I keep that in my car everyone at works knows I have it and I help alot of people who have codes pop up on there car.

Skibob and jerrymildred like this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plus I don’t think an old laptop with a single core running windows 7 would cost that much. Biggest problem would be finding one with a battery good enough to run 1/2 hour or so.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or spend $25 on a new laptop battery?

johnjohnchu, Skibob and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's literally hundreds on my local craigslist. A few Dell D630's even. Most really cheap some $25.

Skibob likes this.
  11. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could never get knockoff version of techstream to run on my old netbook, but OBDLink® LX Bluetooth | OBDLink® | OBD Solutions paired with Android phone and apps (have Native OBDLink app, Torque Pro, Hybrid Assistance, and other free apps) are serving very well.

13. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My miniVCI is 2 years old, and not sure if it's compatible with the newer version of Techstream. When I tried on my old netbook running Win7 32bit, the driver just would not recognize the miniVCI. Tried few different versions of drivers and software, but no avail. I gave up on it a long time ago. If I have time and inclination, I will give a try again. Thanks for the info, though.

Skibob likes this.
  15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did yours come with a disk? The driver is usually on the disk also. I’m pretty sure those instructions work on older versions. I guess your VCI could be bad also.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the disk was busted en rout long way from CHINA!

17. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats the problem then.