1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to buy Prius in Washington DC area

Discussion in 'Prius Cars For Sale' started by Neil T, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Neil T

Neil T New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would love to avoid the dealers and buy direct from someone in the Prius community. I've been helping my partner and our two kids find a Prius for two months and it seems like every Prius is being sold at a hyper-inflated rate through dealers, none privately. Maybe this is the place?

Our budget is between $10K and $17K, cash, not older than 10 years, not more than 130,000 miles, ideally with a rear camera.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Possibly a Winter Silver Grey 2012 Prius v Five with 50K miles, personal use only, no damage history, 3K oil changes, rear camera standard, tasteful modifications including TRD rear sway bar, LED DRL/Fogs, LED signal mirrors, Triton LED lamps all around, inside and out, Weathertech cargo tray, spider web net, recent Continental PureContact 225/50R17 tires, all Toyota programs accomplished, inspected, registered, and titled in NY, within your budget.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be careful what yu buy, there are a lot of lemons out there. will they consider any other car? prius are at a premium due to gas prices and chip shortages

KeepitSimple likes this.
  4. Neil T

Neil T New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Air_Boss, that's a possibility... what are you asking? You're in NY though?

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On Long Island, within your budget. Thanks.

6. Neil T

Neil T New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Air_Boss, though Long Island is a bit too far from DC for a visit :)

My partner would consider something else, she just wants to set an example for their kids by buying a hybrid as a hatchback. Are there any other more affordable hybrid alternatives to the Prius? Hyundai Ioniq (discontinued), Subaru Crosstrek (hard to find), Ford C-Max (a bit too small, poor reliability), Honda Insight (poor reviews, discontinued 2015-2018)...

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not really, it’s just the shortage of automobiles like everything else these days, driving up prices.
    Used hybrids are the riskiest purchase, because of the complicated systems.
    Setting an example is a great idea, but you have to be able to afford to do it.

i wouldn’t buy anything older than 2016, with less than 75,000 miles or so, unless you have a terrific hybrid shop, because dealers are an absolute ripoff, and that won’t come cheap.

KeepitSimple likes this.