1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to Ck OUT a 2003, but Im SO new, I need Experts

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gkalexdc, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greg, did you get the car? Tell us all about it.

2. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I go tomorrow Sunday, 3/5/17, to check out the car. Owner states the 12v is toast. We will jump from his truck, (not try "To Start") just to get some codes on the Mini Vic and my old X L laptop.
    I have a question:
    I've loaded the disc with my mini Vic and itiesnt have a menu, so does this program just run off the disc, and starts up on the screen once you have the OBD2 plugged into a car??
    This is my first time using this mini Vic deal...
    Help please...

3. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It should show multiversions of Techstream. I believe I clicked on the latest one and it went into an installation wizard--YMMV. If there's a video with on the disc, you'll need to run that to know the ins & outs of installing and setting it up. The video on mine ran SO fast. There is a speed control, but I had to also take it one step at a time--going back and watching several times to get the individual steps correct.

Not all of these pirated disks are the same. Mine had errors that came up as virii and XP wouldn't access those files. All the keys and things are on the disk, it just takes patience to get it all to work.

It won't hurt anything to try to start the car. If the HV battery is below a certain voltage, it just won't turn the ICE over.

I have the Prolong grid charger and last week the red triangle of death came on. The cable and techstream helped me to track down a couple of disconnected fan wires. Nice!

gkalexdc likes this.
  4. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I had to go to the "RUN" menu ...as the disc they include with the Mini VCI is not an auto execute file.
    Got it downloaded!!
    Greg

5. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm stuck again with my Mini VCI
    Seems I saw a text file that said to use this serial # starting with a mess of 11111111's
    I copied it with my mouse. When I tried to get the paste to work of course that was home...
    Now to try and find that numeric key is well impossible.. Any suggestions?
    I don't have a video on my disc, at least I don't think I do...

6. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering how to access the disc info. The only screen I get to come up is tech stream.
    If I try to use the left tab, like "Connect To Vehicle" the program want to boot up the Internet connection.
    Are we to be online while we use the Mini VCI?
    HiJacked my own thread, but I want to be able to see thus 03 tomorrow...
    Thanks guys
    Greg

#26 gkalexdc, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  7. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I am getting past the requirement for a numeric key, by just hitting "evaluate" after I select connect with car.
    I will take this to my meeting to see the 03 , and report here... For advice from you all
    Thanks,
    Greg

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my fingers crossed!

9. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    What a journey. Saw the 03 today, here in Houston. Very nice guy, Curt, met me, and it was raining pretty steady, so we ducked into his garage, to talk. Gen 1/168K miles hasn't started since May 2015. Some fender bender slight areas, 2x, no biggy, Dealership care, car just got waylaid, and parked. Young couple, need to move it before their next household move.
    I didn't get to use my scanners. This guy laid it all out.
    Master warnings, check engine, some other info about catalytic -and/or O2 sensor, so it won't pass inspection.
    I'm sure the HV pack is way off, and with that. I was (out).
    Used the phrase someone in this thread said" If it doesn't start, it's a parts car.
    Curt agreed. He just wants to sell .
    Craigslist ad in Houston, 03 $1200 OBO.....
    Motivated buyer
    That's the tale!!
    Greg

10. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably best to let this one pass. $1200 is about a grand more than it's worth. HV battery pack alone is between $1500 & $2500 plus installation. Dealer installation of Toyota HV batteries comes with a 3 year warranty.. The o2 sensor is probably affordable, but a cat. will run about $1000. Do it all and you still have a 14 or 15 year old car with all the wear and tear and cosmetic problems.

Expand your search to include 2nd gen Prii as well I love my little gen 1, it's one of the nicest cars I've owned, but there were definite improvements when Toyota designed the '04 and later cars.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good call on bailing out gkalexdc.
    There will be other options

Take the time to get techstream up and running correctly. It will be worth it.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  12. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    NEW 03 with P3125 Detail 332 REC replace Inverter/Converter and HV ECU
    So, how much would the components cost at a Dealer. From what I have read in the posts and I see junkyard replacements and complications with immobilizers, and other codes thrown, that make me want to use a Dealer to repair this........IF I would buy thus 03.
    Any expert advice on this 183000 mile car. They're asking $1100
    New Cat 1.5 yrs ago, new A/C compressor 2 yrs ago, HYbrid battery 2.5 yrs ago, New 12V 2yrs ago,
    Thanks, here I go again...but need some expert cost analysis
    Greg

#32 gkalexdc, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replacing inverter and hv ecu will not have any impact on the immobilizer.
    You should not run into any problems with the immobilizer if you buy those components used.

If you plan on owning a Gen 1 Prius, invest in diagnostic tools so you aren't blindly guessing on issues when they come up.

You will get much more help if you have the diagnostic codes to help guide any problem analysis.

14. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got the mini VCI
    I haven't had a car to plug it into, this one is in Austin! I gave the codes above, P3125 and the sub code 332 that the Austin Dealer had on the service notes, as I inputted the VIN #. at Toyota.com/owners.
    Thanks so much EricBecky. You are always so helpful to me !! I guess I should go visit and plug in my mini VCI, but the plan was to field how much a dealer fix was for these two items, ( typical charges) for a retail repair. With a new Hybrid battery, new 12v , and the service history I see, I could see this car as a good deal, at $1100, send it to the dealer, fix it and go pick it up and drive it to Houston...IF an inverter HV ECU isn't a bank account breaker....

15. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This guy says he got a quote of $4500 or so. Replacing the Inverter Assembly on a 2002 1st Gen Prius « Russ' Do It Yourself Home Workshop

Looks like a lot of work, tho nothing too tough. Just lots of steps. If you can find the parts used and do it yourself, it might be worth buying and fixing. With the newish batteries, it's a high end parts car, so the better you can do on the price, etc. I'd probably run up to Austin and have a look, and see what you can work out. It wouldn't be too heartbreaking if you got it for about $1000 (even) and had to invest money in some used parts (if you can find them) and time to install them.

Dealer service departments aren't going to install used parts you bring them. And they'll probably hit you for full list on new ones.

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $4,500. Yipes!

Would be nice if you could get them, or an independent shop to put in a used inverter.
    Let's say under $500 for a used inverter; under $300 for a high voltage ECU.

Then you just need someone to do the labor.
    At $100/hr for labor, there is no way it would take the 37 hours needed to come up to $4,500 in cost.

17. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I agree. I looked at Camelback, msrp for the inverter assembly is $4076, their price is $3483! One can find a used inverter assembly on Ebay for $200 to $300. For me, because I work kinda slow, it would probably take about a day. I was suggesting that sending the car to a dealer probably would not be realistic. I probably would buy it, but would tow it home on a dolly or a trailer behind my truck. He was originally looking for a project car, I believe.

18. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    This is going to definitely be a drive out and tow home kinda deal. I'm wondering if I should rent a trailer, or a car dolly... I'd prefer a dolly, from u haul. What precautions would I have to perform to tow it on the back wheels?
    Suggestions welcome! Like put it in Nuetral. The only thing I would know...
    Then I will attempt a used parts replacement strategy at home.. After all it IS A Project.. I'm pretty DIY also..
    Thanks everyone !! You sure take care of her newbies...
    Greg

#38 gkalexdc, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  19. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A dolly will do, imho. I believe that the rear wheels are fairly stand front wheel drive. No worries about drive train and the brakes are just conventional drum brakes. Shouldn't even need to put it in neutral. Good luck, send pics when you get it home.

You'll find that the learning curve isn't much steeper than other cars, tho probably your tesla has a steeper learning curve. Are there Gen 1's in the local junk yards there? My local pick and pull type yard has had two, alas, they recently crushed 'em both. For what your parts list may cost, it might not be a bad idea to revisit that other Gen 1 you looked at. As a parts car. (If you have space enough on your property.) They may be getting more motivated to accept parts car level money.

20. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    So, From my P3125 and SubCode 332, What does that spell...... Inverter AND HV ECU ??
    This couldn't be a code from a bad inverter water pump ??
    Thanks
    Greg