1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

want to get a prius cant convince family!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ilovemaps247, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ilovemaps247

ilovemaps247 New Member

I am interested in trading in my Honda Accord lease for a Civic or Accord Hybrid or instead getting a Toyota Prius. My family has expressed concerns about purchasing a hybrid. They say that if I have problems with these cars I will have trouble getting it repaired since hybrids are relatively new cars and not everyone has the parts or knows how to fix them Are these concerns legitimate? I've read the model overviews and the cars have rated very well and I would really love to get a hybrid! Are they safe?!

Thanks for your help!

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess I would direct you to Consumer Reports and their most recent publication. The Prius did well. The basic warranty on the hybrid parts should reassure them and if you want you can get the extended warranty from PriusChat for under 1K, and that takes care of the rest. Toyota's have a good reputation for quality and this car is built in Japan. I rest my case.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) The Prius has been around since 1997 (Japan) 2001 (North America) so I'm pretty sure Toyota's got the hang of things. The Insight was a concept (Honda J-VX) back in 98. I think it went into production for the 2000 MY.

2) The new Prius has a warranty on the hybrid components for 8yrs/160,000kms (100,000 mi). I think CA has a different mileage limit. Also, the battery current costs US$1,275 (converted from ¥).
    In short, the reliability part is not of a concern. It's a Toyota/Honda for goodness sake.

3) Safety? All hybrids come with standard dual front airbags and ABS w/ EBD.

Accord - Front side airbags, side curtains, traction control standard

Civic - Front side airbags standard

Prius - Traction control standard, front side and side curtains, and vehicle stability control are optional.

4. ilovemaps247

ilovemaps247 New Member

thank you! i went to consumer reports and found a lot of good info. i will do my best!! thanks again.

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Check out my response to "Jeep Junkie thinking of buying a Prius, Help me" here on PriusChat for more excellent arguments in your Prius purchase favor.

Also, if the hybrid technology that Toyota was using was not proven reliable and relatively trouble free (as no vehicle has ever been absolutely without the occasional problem, but Prius has darned few), Toyota would not be spending so much to pump them out and would not be announcing that they would be little by little converting their entire line of cars to hybrids.

These cars look good, work good and do good. What more can you ask from a vehicle? They are safe, reliable, comfortable (even after an 8 solid hour roadtrip cross country through all sorts of weather) bigger inside than the outside would lead you to believe, virtually impossible to steal, environmentally responsible, fun to drive and cool!

Oh, and I think I heard somewhere that they don't do too bad in the gasoline usage department.

I say go with your gut. If your gut says Prius then there you go, problem solved.

Good luck whatever you choose. I look forward to hearing your decision.

Take care,

Tisza

7. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. tuck14

tuck14 New Member

Arrange for a test drive and take your family. That's how I was sold on the Prius. My wife researched cars and determined that the Prius was what she wanted. I doubted this would be a good car for her since we live in the mountains and I was concerned about power to climb our steep hills. I also had your family's concerns about the complex technology and our local dealers ability to properly service and repair. After a test drive on the steep hills an a little research on reliability my concerns went away. Last week we ordered a new Salsa Red with package 6 and leather seats.

9. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has, or at least had when I bought mine, a rental program whereby a potential customer can rent a prius for a day, cost is about $40. Should you decide to purchase the car, the $40 rental fee will be applied to the purchase. So give your local Toyota dealer a call and make a reservation for a Saturday. Drive it for a day going through your normal routines, you'll be amazed how your dino car feels so 20th century.