1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to know about your Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Wraiththe, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ever wonder what exactly which options your Prius has or what level it is?

I recently went through a major nightmare trying to get a Prius. 7 out of 10 were lying about what they were selling. (All types even dealers!!!) We are talking about health issues due to stress off the scale.

Anyway, for anyone interested in knowing or for anyone that is buying and wants to know what they are buying... Here is the link. Just plug in your Vin #.

It will list Port or Factory installed equipment... the different packages such as convenience and technology... and standard installation equipment.

After running a hundred or so, I had to log in to use it. If you are here, you are probably signed up anyway.

Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners or Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners

You can also get there through logging in and going to my vehicle and entering a vin number there.

Just trying to give back to the community. This saved my tail. So many people selling I's as IV's and V's. It is Horrific out there. You show them what they have... and they refuse to correct their listings.

You can also do a search online such as "2017 Prius Prime brochure" to see what options come with each package so you do not get ripped off.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I went there after buying my current Gen 3, and found it wasn't accurate. It had my vin listed as being a V, when the car is very unmistakably a IV.

The reason I checked was that the seller had the car listed as a V, and I noticed it was a IV right away when I looked at it, and at first I thought that was kind of sleazy, but the price was ok and I was looking more for a IV anyway, so I didn't say anything.

Then I checked on that site and saw that it really wasn't the seller's fault anyway, he probably had looked it up on the same site, it was just wrong there. So I was glad I had not gone and confronted him about misrepresenting it.

I don't have any explanation for why it was wrong. I mean, it's purportedly Toyota's own site. But it was clearly wrong for my car, and I seem to recall seeing some other posts here where it was questionable for others.

So clearly, it's a site that needs to be used with a grain of salt.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Works pretty well for ours, up in Canada. One anomaly: it lists the sale date correctly, but it's saying it was from a dealership in Auburn, Alabama? :confused:

S'okay.

4. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It gets trickier with the older ones. Sometimes lower packages can have higher options and sometimes the brouchure may point it out. I have noticed that in the listings sometimes they will list one thing in the description that was nullified by the package... so you have to account for the level of prius and then the package. It is odd, as you will never see a prius level 5 with a sunroof. Some years have specific tech packages with two different options for different level prius. A prius level five is not the same as a prius V as well. (LOL) A prius five will have the headlight washers though... not sure but the touring might have them too... if they had a touring in 2010

You could message me the vin a diag pick from the front of your prius and the dash, and front seat w/controls.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, mine is not the v (note lowercase letter) station wagon, for sure, they didn't have those in 2010.

It is also not the V (capital letter) liftback, which is what they were calling the trim level in 2010. It is very definitely a IV (which is what they called that trim level in 2010).

So the site's information comes from somewhere, but it's not somewhere totally reliable.

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had trouble using the primes vin when it was new. I'd read here about the oil filter change over from cartridge to spin on and wanted to get the right filter before I did my first oil change. Sure nuff, I got the spin on like the site said my car used. Was I surprised when I went to change the oil. I had a left over cartridge from the 2014 PiP, but that didn't fit either.
    It's better now that they've had time to fix the listings, but I had a hell of a time finding the correct drivers side rearview mirror just a couple months ago.
    The dealers collision shop estimate wasn't much help either, as there were several parts on it (the estimate) that were not correct of my car, as I found out while digging around for the parts I needed to order.

#6 vvillovv, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the assumption that the information is from the original manufacture, it still seems weird there would be data quality issues that they would need after-the-fact "time to fix".