1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to save oil? Stop being fat.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by massparanoia, May 1, 2012.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I click this: dailymail.co.uk it's about 95% idiot news; celebrities naming their kids stupid names, kids lying down in roads to sun tan, etc. It does have some real news, too, but not much. I guess I click it because...well, I'm awful I guess.
    How dare you!
    This is true. A neighbor told my wife I was lean at a time when I wasn't--I just wasn't heavily overweight like most. Perceptions are highly skewed. Further, most obese people don't realize how overweight they are. I'm sure you've heard a person say "I need to lose 20-30 lbs", when in truth it's more like 40-60.
    Not only is this true but in a great many American cities due to urbanization the city-proper is avoided by those with the means (cars/money) to do so. I've been in my current area for several years and go into the city itself no more than once/year. It's crime-ridden, nasty. I just don't care for it, so I drive literally everywhere; the closest location to me that sells even a can of coke is two miles away (and no sidewalks).
    I've flown a decent bit and been lucky enough so far generally, but I did a few years back spend 2.5 hours stuck next to a man well over 300 lbs who was way into my side--and as you know plane seats are small enough. I literally should have gotten some of my money back. I paid for a full seat, not 80% of one, stuck next to a furnace (the guy was throwing heat off like a hair dryer). And of course it's absolutely absurd that I could pay an overweight luggage fee if I'm a little heavy in there but if he's not he pays no extra despite being equivalent to two adults in mass.
    I read recently, can't remember where, that lifestyle is responsible for 70% of our illnesses, and for most of us that means our weight.

2. lamebums

lamebums Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi massparanoia--

I once remember reading somewhere on one of those "You know you're a hypermiler if you lose weight in an attempt to increase your MPG's."

And having a little extra in the middle has the exact same effect as having the trunk full of 50# of crap that's been sitting in there for the past six months - I heard that extra 100# of weight costs 2-3% of MPG? It could add up quickly, especially over the life of a car.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was going to put this in the music thread, but this video might fit just as well here if it's not too fat. :D

4. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wrong post

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model: