1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to stream music from my Treo 700p via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by acousticbiker, Dec 29, 2006.

1. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

So the Prius BT chip apparently does not support A2DP for audio streaming. Is anyone aware of a A2DP-compatible Bluetooth adaptor that can plug into the 3.5mm AUX line jack (which then could pair with the Treo)?

2. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I was looking into that a while back when bluetooth was still just catching on. There may be something available now, but I think back then I was planning to buy some bluetooth headphones that could stream music from a cell phone and rip it all apart, connect the audio lines from the speakers to a 3.5mm audio jack and wire the battery terminals to a 12V outlet plug for power. Of course I'm not sure if it would actually work, but I was going to try anyway (of course you would have to find out the voltage needed by the device and match that from a 12V source).

3. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

OK, I found the Jabra A120S:

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/MainMe...120s/JabraA120s

This adaptor would plug into the AUX jack. It was made to plug into an MP3 player to allow it to stream music to BT headphones. I wonder if it would work in the "reverse" (plugged into the AUX jack and receiving music via BT from my Treo to then play through the car speakers)

4. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt there would be any way to make it receive.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was in a Cingular store yesterday getting my SIM card cloned and replaced and they had some Bluetooth speakers that could pick up a stereo stream from your phone. I think I saw an Audio Out jack on the back. If you got those, you could listen through your car audio system or take them with you to boombox. I didn't notice the price or manufacturer. Might be worth a visit and a Froogle search.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Dec 29 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]368211[/snapback]</div>

As I said in a previous post:

And

7. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is an application for the Treo 650 and 700p called Bluetooth Audio Gateway. It's by Softick.

Check out the product page at:

Bluetooth Audio Gateway

Not sure if this is what can work for you. There is a demo to try.

Cheers

8. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Vagabond, not sure what the purpose of your reply was.

1. I was not necessarily talking about streaming internet radio but just wanting to MP3s from my Treo via BT. Anyway, I disagree with your statement about EVDO and internet radio streaming: I am in an EVDO predominant area and find streaming to be quite smooth on my 700p.

2. You're right that the 700p does not support A2DP natively, but the app that Three60 guy refers to (Softick Audio Gateway) allows this possibility.

Bill, thanks for the idea about speakers that are capable of capturing streamed music via BT and then outputting audio (I think that is what you meant) via RCA or 3.5mm. Do you remember anything more about this?

Scosche makes a BT stereo receiver (http://www.scosche.com/scosche_bluetooth_tech.aspx) that will receive music via BT and then connect/output to devices via RCA. I've got an RCA to 3.5mm adapter, so theoretically I can:

1. Stream music via BT from my Treo to the Scosche receiver using Softick Audio Gateway
    2. Connect the Scosche to the AUX jack in my Prius via RCA to 3.5mm adapter
    3. Hear music through the Prius speakers.

What do you guys think?

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll go back to the Cingular store and take another look, and notes. The new Samsung SYNC phone looks pretty cool... >1 megabit/second download speed

10. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Vagabond was talking about EVDO because your original post mentioned "streaming audio" and MP3 was never specified.
    Is this what you are referring to:
    http://www.scosche.com/scosche_bluetooth.a...&ItemID=UBR
    It does say it's 12V powered, so you can plug it in the 12V socket inside the center console and maybe it will power on with the car every time, then hopefully it will pair with your PDA. That sounds like the solution though. Let us know how it goes!

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Dec 30 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]368756[/snapback]</div>

A EV-DO hand-off from one tower to another (which is what will happen as you're moving) is not as seamless as it is with a phone call. Especially when sometimes a EV-DO connection can use 2 or even 3 towers at once. I'm not talking about coverage, it's connection.

And you may notice that the Softick doesn't work correctly on the 700p. I'll give it a shot on one of my 700p's on monday, but I question a company that says that it works on a device in big letters and further down on the same page is says it doesn't in smaller text.

12. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Dec 30 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]368867[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Vagabond, but in my direct experience streaming internet radio on my 700p (which is not the main topic of this thread) has been pretty smooth in my area, tower hand-offs notwithstanding (I do understand that concept).

Softick seems to work on my 700p just fine. Just not sure why you have to be so negative...

13. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Dec 31 2006, 07:37 AM) [snapback]368917[/snapback]</div>
    Also a bit off topic but I use Grom Audio to play mp3s. A little more wire clutter than a bluetooth connection but I have to keep my Treo charged anyway. Also streaming internet radio on my 650 (not EVDO) works fine around town. On country road trips there are occassional drop outs but it's not that big an issue if you'r on major roads in an area where your carrier has good coverage.

14. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrfaris @ Dec 31 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]368961[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip, jrfaris. Can you use pTunes with Grom Audio? How does it interact with BT phone connection to Treo (handoffs, etc)?

15. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(acousticbiker @ Dec 31 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]368997[/snapback]</div>
    Grom will pass the sound output to the car stereo, regardless of the audio player being used on the Treo however the Prius CD and track controls will only work when you use TCPMP as the player. The BT connection still works normally for phone calls. The music is cut off while the call is in progress. With pTunes or RealPlayer, the music resumes when the call ends but since TCPMP does not play in the background, when you complete a call you have to restart the player.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    streaming under EVDO is not going to be smooth. it only appears that way if using verizon on VCAST because the stream is cached to the phone first. the buffer allows the unsteady data rates to not be noticed and it will be unsteady and driving or switching towers NEED NOT be present for this to happen. it will and does happen even if you are sitting still directly under a cell tower.

in the OP's request though, EVDO does not play a part. there are several BT headsets that will play music in stereo that are out now. now getting them thru the car is not going to be possible. i would try for something thru the audio jack instead. BT transmission is not smooth either and simply does not provide enough average bandwidth to play music well. the audio i expect will be disappointing