1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanted - Prolong harness install near Pittsburgh PA

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steelerfan2018, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Steelerfan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all,
    I have a 2008 Prius that has been sitting since Covid started, roughly middle of March. I would like to get it back on the road sometime soon. The 12v is also dead. I would like to keep it running for a few more years then give it to my nephew who will be turning 16. When it was running pre-covid, it ran fine.

I would like to get the Prolong system, but when I look at the install directions for the harness I think it would be best to get someone comfortable with this to do it. Checking with Prolong, there isn't anyone near me who can do this.

So what I am looking for is someone near Pittsburgh who would be willing to do the harness install for a reasonable price.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Rob

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet you have a friend, or a friend of a friend who works one cars, installs car stereos etc.. It's a very easy install and going to a full on mechanic is not going to be worth the price. But if you can't find anyone in your neighborhood who can do it you can use the map on Prolong's website to a shop that uses their equipment Dealer Map | Hybrid Automotive Approved Resellers | Hybrid Automotive

3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've installed the harness on a Gen2 before and it wasn't bad;).

The pictures and instructions @jeff652 and Hybrid Automotive have put together make the install easy:).

Give that a look before you give up and source the install(y).

edthefox5 and PriusCamper like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery side connections are easy but you need a little bit of electronics to install the battery fan power supply you have to intercept the power lead to it. Its pretty straight forward.

But please be aware a prolong may not resurrect a G2 battery that has sat for 8 months. The battery will probably be flat dead and letting a battery thats flat dead sit for 8 months will usually damage it. Not to mention the corrosion will really set in once the battery drains like that.
    You can try it though. I owned a prolong for 3 years. It will not enjoy charging a stone dead battery lol.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every battery is different, as well as the quality of work of someone working on it.

In my experience a battery that's sat 8 months is a good one compared to most of the packs I've bought at the junk yard... I've even resurrected packs that have sat idle for 5 years and had them run healthy for years after, but there's lots of work that goes into it all and took a long while to learn.

Raytheeagle likes this.