1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanting a Used Gen II Prius but Concerns about High Mileage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CAPriusRookie, Aug 27, 2014.

1. SusieSunshine

SusieSunshine New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    image.jpg I wouldn't hesitate. My 2007 baby is running like new and I've never had any problems other than the Toyota dealership putting synthetic blend in it once...that caused the oil to disappear and I had to get the fuel saver cleaning because it crudded up everything. I get my oil changed every 2-3 weeks/4500-5000 miles with standard oil. Waiting to see if she'll hit 300,000 or not...haha.

2. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't hesitate either. I joined this forum when I bought my first Prius in 2007, and one of the most common questions then was whether it was true that the traction battery was likely to fail within a few years, as many critics were suggesting. The regulars of the day happily pointed to studies done on Prius taxi fleets which showed no real issues after 200-300,000 miles, demonstrating that these batteries are not really an issue, and that the Prius is a reliable vehicle well into high milage.

It's sad to see members of the forum now suggesting otherwise when there is really no evidence of reliability issues, and certainly no reason to doubt that a Prius would cost any more to keep on the road than any other vehicle. It's worth remembering that as expensive as a traction battery is to replace, any other vehicle of the same age could suffer transmission or engine issues which could cost as much, or much more, to repair and that without such issues, a Prius would save a considerable amount of money on fuel over almost any other choice.

I have no hesitation in recommending a Prius in this situation.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't hesitate either, if i were in your shoes.