1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanting to become a new 2010 Prius owner but now I'm terrified to buy because of horror stories

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Elizabeth Prejeant, Aug 11, 2014.

1. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Identify the horror stories and you can get straight answers. I've bought (and still own) a 2001, 2007, & 2010 Prius so I'm aware of nearly every issue and have been informed by many strangers of what a dangerous car(s) I drive. The vast majority of dangers are pure inventions by the clueless or devious. The biggest truthful danger is the car carries around a bunch of explosive fluid called gasoline. So this is the exact right forum to sort out the scare stories from the real issues.

Brakes-Every brake issue that happens on a Prius is often accused of being due to Prius technology. When the same issue happens on another Toyota it is just a brake issue. So far there has not been a Prius unique brake issue more significant than any other Toyota vehicle. One big exception is the Prius brake pads wear out vastly slower than any other Toyota, so that advantage is pure Prius.

Sudden Acceleration-There have been some Toyota sudden acceleration issues. The biggest real ones involved Camry electronic failures. There was a infamous case of a con artist claiming his Prius accelerated out of control for an insanely long distance. The case made the news over and over. The findings that it was faked was not worth covering very much. This case still lives on the internet.

Engine stopping-Very definitely a Prius occurrence. Happens at nearly every stop light and many time while driving slow. This is how the Prius works to save gas.

#21 FL_Prius_Driver, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I had a 2011 Prius Two that I had for three years and put 48,000 miles on it and I had zero problems with it.
    I had a 2011 Prius and put 48,000 miles on it and I did not experience any

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    She hasn't been back since posting her first reply.
    That's too bad.
    Her paranoia might be real.