1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanting to put '03 cruise control in into an '01. Anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by vaughnstark777, Oct 23, 2014.

1. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Would it be difficult to remove the cruise control from my wrecked 2003 prius and install it in my 2001? If their's already a thread on this somewhere could someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe that the main issue is to move the cruise control switch from one car to the other. If the 2001 doesn't have a wiring harness connector for the cc switch, then you would have to fabricate suitable wiring to connect the switch to the hybrid vehicle ECU.

3. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have everything from the 2003 I just don't know if it is easy, or how easy it is, to integrate it into the 2001. I know their used to be a company that made an after market cc unit for the '01 but I don't know if it was a copy of what came in the later models or just an after market add on.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it's easy. There are threads. You'll need a special tool to make it easy called a crows foot wrench. I use one that attaches to a socket wrench.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point, I believe that wrench is used when installing the brake pedal switch.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding cruise is really easy, especially if you have steering wheel with cruise stalk and 4pin brake pedal switch. You don't even have to open the hood.

Replacing the complete steering wheel with cruise control stalk is pretty obvious. Just unhook 12V so the horn doesn't blow while you remove the airbag. Remove the big steering wheel nut then mark the steering shaft at "12 o'clock, 3 and 9" while wheel is centered so when you put on the replacement wheel it will be centered. The wheel with cruise has extra pins in the wiring connector for the cruise to work.

The hard part is replacing the brake pedal switch. If you remove a second sheet metal cover LEFT side behind the gray dash panel you can get the switch out with a normal 14mm wrench. IIRC the metal cover has two 10mm nuts holding it on.

8. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All Gen1's already have the complete wiring harness for cruise, software, and light on the instrument cluster. It's probably the easiest car in the world to add cruise control to.

9. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my 2nd Gen 1 Prius I mentioned to the guy I bought it from that I was glad it had Cruise Control. He mentioned he had one that didn't have speed control and his son was driving it. I mentioned to him that as I pulled into his house I saw a Gen 1 steering wheel with speed control sitting in his dumpster (the guy buys salvaged Priis, fixes and resells them) and explained how he could add it to his son's car. He excused himself, walked out to the dumpster and pulled out the steering wheel and a couple of other parts and came back into the house grinning and thanked me.

Information is everything....