1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Wards Auto Cradle-to-Grave nonsense

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 27, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: http://wardsauto.com/ideaxchange/environmental-downside-bevs#comment-66561

It takes so much energy to make batteries the Union of Concerned Scientists says BEVs with a 250-mile (402-km) range start out life with a carbon footprint 68% higher than a piston-engine car.

There’s a growing global movement to ban the internal combustion engine. Several cities and countries have boldly announced plans to ban piston engines in favor of electric cars. They want a shortcut to stop global warming and save the planet. And while this is a noble goal, they’re in for a nasty surprise.

Battery-electric cars are not as environmentally clean as they’re made out to be. And piston engines are not as dirty.

Regulators and legislators are making a fundamental mistake in mandating the technology they want, rather than the results they want. Unfortunately they’re focusing on tailpipe emissions, rather than standing back and looking at the big picture. They need to regulate the life-cycle emissions created by an automobile, not just the exhaust gases coming out of the engine.

Not unexpected, the author didn't cite the specific report so I did it in my comment:

I just read "Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave" Rachael Dealer, David Reichmuth, Don Anair, Union of Concerned Scientist, November 2015, (Cleaner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf) and noticed a summary graph, Figure ES-2. "Life Cycle Global Warming Emissions from the Manufacturing and Operation of Gasoline and Battery-Electric Vehicles, on pp.4. So this is what it shows for combined operation, battery and vehicle manufacturing:

51% reduction for midsize gasoline vs 84-mile BEV
    53% reduction for full-size gasoline vs 265-mile BEV

In our case, we have two, plug-in hybrids, 2014 BMW i3-REx and 2017 Prius Prime. Our electric miles in Huntsville AL are half the cost of gasoline miles not counting 1/3d of the electric miles we get from free chargers at local shopping malls and businesses. Retired, I can't afford to walk away from $2.50 to drive 100 miles.

LiON batteries use cobalt that costs $26.88/lb and nickel $5.37. So if you'll give me the address of the landfill full of these batteries, I'll bring my shovel and melt them down. Retired, I could use the extra cash.

Bob Wilson, Huntsville, AL

If posted once, we're going to see this article show up in lots of publications. I'd recommend forming your own reply and sharing it with the community. With our eyes, we can spot the 'reprints' and reply with facts and data. <grins>

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk, RCO, heiwa and 2 others like this.
  2. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the good news: as long as the hit piece articles continue? that means the koch bros are worried. they won't go down without a fight, but they will go down.

pilotgrrl and Bluegrassman like this.
  4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the first part by the author, metrics should be metrics.
    Well except in heavily polluted places like - well half of California. There tailpipe pollution needs to be more front and center. Then again cars like the prius, camry hybrid, i3-rex, etc are really clean, and clean enough for every city in the US. The internal combustion engine, especially when used in a phev or hybrid does not need to be regulated away, it should be encouraged ;-) The us federal government already does this, but .... as the author says
    Electric cars, fuel cell cars, etc still produce ghg and other pollutants in building the cars and producing the fuel. What the author does next though is simply lie about the numbers as you point out bob. I mean the gigafactory is producing batteries with much less ghg and other pollutants than the model S was way back when it came out, and even over a year ago the numbers said something quite unlike what the opinion piece writer said.

The Carbon Footprint Of Tesla Manufacturing
    This stuff was debunked long ago, but people keep pushing the false narative. I'm glad you commented to correct it.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The big sin was ignoring the contribution of the fossil fuels used to power the ICE.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    RCO likes this.
  7. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2017), EVs do produce more GHG emissions during vehicle manufacturing:

[​IMG]

However, as mentioned here, overall life-cycle GHG emissions are much lower for EV than an equivalent gasoline (GDI) vehicle, based on the latest U.S. electricity generation mix per EIA. 407 g/mile (GDI); 235 g/mile (EV).

RCO, austingreen and bwilson4web like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I found the exact quote:

Global warming emissions occur when manufacturing any vehicle, regardless of its power source, but BEV production results in higher emissions than the making of gasoline cars—mostly due to the materials and fabrication of the BEV lithium-ion battery. Under the average U.S. electricity grid mix, we found that producing a midsize, midrange (84 miles per charge) BEV typically adds a little over 1 ton of emissions to the total manufacturing emissions, resulting in 15 percent greater emissions than in manufacturing a similar gasoline vehicle. However, replacing gasoline use with electricity reduces overall emissions by 51 percent over the life of the car.

A full-size long-range (265 miles per charge) BEV, with its larger battery, adds about six tons of emissions, which increases manufacturing emissions by 68 percent over the gasoline version. But this electric vehicle results in 53 percent lower overall emissions compared with a similar gasoline vehicle (see Figure ES-2).

In other words, the extra emissions associated with electric vehicle production are rapidly negated by reduced emissions from driving. Comparing an average midsize midrange BEV with an average midsize gasoline-powered car, it takes just 4,900 miles of driving to “pay back”—i.e., offset—the extra global warming emissions from producing the BEV. Similarly, it takes 19,000 miles with the full-size long-range BEV compared with a similar gasoline car. Based on typical usages of these vehicles, this amounts to about six months’ driving for the midsize midrange BEV and 16 months for the full-size long-range BEV.

"Cleaner Cars from Cradle to Grave", Rachael Nealer, David Reichmuth, Don Anair, Union of Concerned Scientist, November 2015, pp. 3.

Bob Wilson

"

RCO likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...in the USA, this is a political issue like everything else

RCO likes this.