1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warm air intake_-_hot air intake:-)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by #TrackAttackPrius, Sep 23, 2013.

1. #TrackAttackPrius

#TrackAttackPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok guys,
    Overkills my middle name:)

My current wAi isent doing enuff at highway speeds and I'm starting to get creative, my question is...

How hot is to hot?

When will the temperature start to decrease efficiency? I can't find a graph or chart of any kind with actual information stating temperature ranges and efficiency

I'm thinking of building a charge pipe and running copper tubing through it with hot coolant. regulating the amount of fluid that goes through the pipes should cap the temps alitte but this is going to creat some crazy iat. image.jpg

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably won't raise the IAT very much, as the air is moving through a relatively short length of tube. It would need to be something like a reverse intercooler except instead of air to air, it would be liquid to air heat exchange.

You should try and contact the PriusChat member who started this thread:

Additional inverter cooling | PriusChat
    Additional inverter cooling

He seems to be into track time. ;)

SCH-I535

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good Prius Friend Hobbit tried heated air using duct work around the exhaust manifold and routed to the air intake. My understanding is he did not find any appreciable performance improvement and subsequently removed it.

You might start wandering through his work:
    Hobbit's techie-rants

Bob Wilson