1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warming up on cold morning

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by John roden, Nov 5, 2021.

1. John roden

John roden Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What are the options for warming the car up and getting some defrosting going on a cold morning? I tried turning the key on while still plugged in but it did not seem to work although I ended up having some other odd problems so I'm wondering if that was an anomaly?

I guess my question is how do I warm this thing up and get the ice off the windows on a cold morning, do I need to unplug it first?

2. Prime2022XLE

Prime2022XLE New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I just went through the same situation this morning (32F outside). If plugged in, better to start the heating and windows defrosters from the Toyota app 10m before getting in the car. I found the car gets really hot so I dont need any heating for the next 5-10 miles. If instead, I only warm up after I start the car, the ICE overrides the EV setting and the gas mileage is about 15mpg for the first 5 miles or so.

3. John roden

John roden Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh the app of course, silly me it's right there

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The app has been having some issues recently (well maybe always)

This morning, I used the key fob to preheat.
    I park in garage so no frost to worry about just the cold.

You can do last setting, but there is also front and rear defroster on the app too

5. John roden

John roden Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I charged the battery up to 13 volts and tried the app this morning to preheat the car and it did not work. Drat

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I go up north (or on rare occasions when I'm here in FL), I use one of these for the ice or frost. Takes no gas and no electricity. And it pre-warms me a little bit at the same time.

As for heating, I just turn on the seat heater and get almost instant warmth.