1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warming up the car remotely Cold winter

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Fuzza, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Fuzza

Fuzza New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Hello,

We are waiting for a Prius prime 2022 base version and I live in Canada where the winter can sometimes be very cold.

I always have the habit of using a remote starter in the morning during the winter to warm up the car and help with defrosting.

From what I understand, the heat pump is not efficient below -10 celcius.
    I don't see the benefit of installing a remote starter if I still have to go outside to unplug the vehicle since the combustion engine does not start when plugged in.

I have seen people install a remote controlled electric car cabin heater and maybe that would be the solution

Does anyone have any experience or idea for this kind of situation?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose you could use a remote control switch to kick on a 120v electric heater. just make sure it can handle the wattage, and the heater is away from flammable surfaces

3. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I considered going the 120V heater route on our 2022 PP but was concerned with the potential fire hazard since the available heaters all seem to be 800+ watts. If I could find a 120V heater in the 200 to 300 watt range, I may reconsider it.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I explored the idea of a remote engine starter, but for exactly the reason OP mentioned, decided not to install it. Never tried using a remote-controlled electric car cabin heater, but IIRC, @vvillovv might have mentioned using it? As with @eow, I would be afraid of fire hazards unless it is engineered specifically for such use.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    When it is very cold, I believe the EV mode is automatically turned off and the HV mode is switched into when you turn on the heater. This is at least what happens when you turn on the front-window defogger.

I wouldn't put a heater in a car.

6. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    BTW: I decided to have an engine remote starter installed. That will happen next week. I will report if it was a waste of money or not.

When below -20C, I am usually not plugging in the charger since the PP only runs as a hybrid at those temps anyways. Those are also the temps I want a warm cabin when I get into the vehicle. So I thought it was worth a try.

Compustar tech is claiming that they can set it up to force the ICE to start at any ambient temperature. Hopefully that is true. In a previous post it was reported that it was done using a Viper remote starter.

iPhone ?

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, please do report back. I have contacted several vendors. I can't remember if it was Compustar or not, but there was one company that said they can put a modulator to switch EV/HV to control the engine start. I remember one person went ahead installing the regular engine starter without a modulator. For him, the remote engine starter would only start the engine if there is no charge in the traction battery (i.e. EV range is --miles). He was fine with it because he said he never charge the car during winter.

For me, the problem was the charging cable issue. There was no remote engine starter that can override this safety feature. And I was charging every night, so going out to unplug the charging cable just to use the remote engine starter defeats the purpose. But now, I am not driving every day, I don' need to charge every night, but also I also don't need to drive every morning. So remote engine starter is no longer needed.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at -20c, if you leave the heat on the night before, won't the engine start automatically?

9. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Yes it does and stays in hybrid mode no matter how far you travel.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as the car is not plugged in. Yeah, at that temp, no modulator is needed.

11. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    That is also my experience.

iPhone ?

12. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'm also considering a remote starter for those really cold days but for leaving work where I can't plug in always and my EV range has already been used up.

Climate prep hasn't been as poor as I expected at least. My garage does seem to keep the worst of the cold out and even on mornings where outside is below 14f the cabin is slightly warmed. I just wish it would at least preheat the heated seats.

I bought a diy remote starter kit for my 2016 prius and never got around to installing it. Sadly the website doesn't seem to say it'll work on my new Prime

13. Fuzza

Fuzza New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    it is actually safe to put a cabin heater in the car. Toyota actually does it in Canada with an option call Comfort +

But i went for DIY solution and it is way less expensive.

Attached Files:

14. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That looks nice. Yes, the system seems to be the same as Toyota OEM Comfort+ system for Canadian Drivers: Comfort+ Heating Accessories - Toyota Canada

I did write to them asking about US outfitter, but I really doubt it exists. And even if it does, it will be very expensive.

16. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, from the company site you linked. The official OEM system is only for SUVs and Trucks. But it also says "Other" and if you click that option, then it says "Please contact us directly to inquire about solutions for your vehicle." so I did.

The BlueTooth app is nice. Especially if it can control the cabin heater, block heater, and trickle charger separately.

upload_2022-1-14_23-5-44.png

18. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That kit seems like just the ticket for a lot of prime cold weather concerns - trickle charge the 12v, block heater so the ICE doesn't use up as much gas warming up and cabin heater that doesn't drain the traction battery... If they ever make it for the Prius Prime I'd drive the 45min or so to get to the nearest Canadian Toyota dealer.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I would too. But for now, to do that you would have to have a negative COVID PCR test result and proof of full vaccination and quarantine plan in case you test positive. I guess I will have to wait for this Pandemic to be over before I can cross the border. :(

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you guys are using your Primes just in hybrid mode, consider installing the block heater?