1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning 01-03 Prius EPS steering recall hassles

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by backbob, Jul 22, 2011.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just a thought but you might consider wrapping them all in a zip file and posting it. This makes sharing a lot easier.

Bob Wilson

2. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will do that. This has been an interesting thread and learned a lot for the posts. Also learned that Toyota customer support (phone) is very receptive to questions and details, however, you need to get to the second or third layer of tech support to get any diffinative help or solutions.
    Dealers are another topic and I will report back on this one in a few days.

Steve

3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As offered earlier, I want to upload some links and referance material regarding the Rack and Pinion Steering failures and complaints.

The first link is to faqs.org site that not only contains references to both the pinion nut and steering vibration, it also has list of bulletins, etc.. Followed by several pages of "sad stories" and dealers in lack of direction on these issues. This going from 2012 back as far as 2001.

Toyota Prius 2002 - Steering - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints

The focus seems to be on the 2002 model year and many of the dealer denials were based on "VIN specific" recall or warranty extentions/coverage. In one complaint it gave a VIN
    jt2bk12u820043716 which does match mine to the last all digit portion.
    So I may be wrong on my assumption that all Classics would be covered if the exhibited the vibration symptoms. It sounds like a lot of owners over the past 10 years have shelled out a bunch of money for replacements while others (VIN specific) were covered by the Warranty Enhancement. As it seem to have turned out, my car will be covered. (not intention to throw salt in the wound!) Maybe I should keep my fingers crossed until I get back from the my appointment next Monday.

You may also notice in the Complaints section of this reference, they mention in several place. The following PDF was informative, when I was able to get into it but tonite, no luck.

I think the call to Toyota was the most incouraging and their recommendation to have the dealer check the VIN on the "Consumer Support Program" was of the most help.

So I will upload here. It has to do with primarily the Pinion Nut issue but might be of interest.

Thanks

Steve

Attached Files:

4. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As offered earlier, I want to upload some links and referance material regarding the Rack and Pinion Steering failures and complaints.

The first link is to faqs.org site that not only contains references to both the pinion nut and steering vibration, it also has list of bulletins, etc.. Followed by several pages of "sad stories" and dealers in lack of direction on these issues. This going from 2012 back as far as 2001.

Toyota Prius 2002 - Steering - car safety information, failing parts, recalls, bulletins, complaints

The focus seems to be on the 2002 model year and many of the dealer denials were based on "VIN specific" recall or warranty extentions/coverage. In one complaint it gave a VIN t2bk12u820043716 which does match mine to the last all digit portion. So I may be wrong on my assumption that all "Classics" would be covered if the exhibited the vibration symptoms. It sounds like a lot of owners over the past 10 years have shelled out a bunch of money for replacements while others (VIN specific) weren't covered by the Warranty Enhancement. As it seem to have turned out, my car will be covered. (not intention to throw salt in the wound!) Maybe I should keep my fingers crossed until I get back from the my appointment next Monday.

You may also notice in the Complaints section of this reference, they mention in several place. The following PDF was informative, when I was able to get into it but tonite, no luck.​
    I think the call to Toyota was the most incouraging and their recommendation to have the dealer check the VIN on the "Consumer Support Program" was of the most help.
    I will upload a file here that to do with primarily the Pinion Nut issue but might be of interest.
    Thanks
    Steve

5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just picked up my 2002 Classic from dealer. They finally relented and replaced the complete (EPS) rack assemble and computer under the Customer Support Program, warranty enhancement, extension (to 12/31/2013). All at no cost to me, of course. They also conceded that they (a very small town dealer) had done this previously in 2004.

I'm not suggesting that everyone might be covered, since it did seem to be VIN specific, when I talked to Toyota Customer Support. They ended up saying, in my final phone converstion, "under your VIN your vehicle is covered" and I should refer the deal to "The Customer Support Program" and enter my VIN.

I hope this is the end of this problem for me, but I encourage other to contact Toyota Customer Support, as I did and wish them all the same results.

Your welcome to contact me for further direction, just remember, I'm a Newbie but also a "Squeaky Wheel"! And some people yield, possibly due to my age and nature. (Some might say "Pain in the A$$")

Steve

6. yankkesrule

yankkesrule Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reading posts like these blows my mind. I'm a Tech at a dealer in MA. The first one of these I did (taking my time etc) Took maybe 3 hours max. Every one after 2-2.5 tops and the job pays about 4hours. In General Warranty jobs don't pay well. This in my opinion is not one of those. I would do these all day long if I could. We haven't seen one in a while though.

SteveWlf likes this.