1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning beep every 45 seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mlbex100, Dec 20, 2020.

1. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My 2017 Prius issues a 'beeping' sound every 45 seconds whenever it is on, regardless of whether it's in gear, driving, or parked. There are no visible warnings on the dashboard or anywhere else.
    What is it trying to tell me, and how do I clear it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you the original owner? any aftermarket installations? have you ever replaced the fob battery, tried the other fob?

just guessing...

3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Plug in dealer pc

4. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes, I am the original owner. The only modification is a dealer-installed alarm that has worked flawlessly since 2017.

I had some stuff on the passenger seat; when I removed it, the sound stopped for now. Is it possible it was sensing something in the seat and wondering whether to turn on the airbags?

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like maybe. Except - it should have had an indicator on the dashboard for seatbelts. I've known that to happen before, but the dashboard warning was on, and in my FORD - and it beeped continually.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like maybe. Except - it should have had an indicator on the dashboard for seatbelts. I've known that to happen before, but the dashboard warning was on, and in my FORD - and it beeped continually.

douglasjre likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, but there is a sensor in the seat to tell the airbags there is passenger. might be a weight thing, because there's an issue with child car seats iirc.

8. M One

M One Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a weight sensor on the passenger seat. My car bees whenever I put my work bag on it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Aarg. It must be the weight sensor in the front seat. The Airbag light was on but no warning was flashing. How was I supposed to know what it was trying to tell me?

When cars finally reach the 21st century, every warning will be accompanied by a text message that flashes on the screen, and an identical entry will be written to a log which the owner can examine on the screen. A good XML programmer could code it in a week.

The current answer is "the stuff on the seat confused the weight sensor and the car wasn't sure if there was a passenger in that seat or not. Otherwise it would have rung the seatbelt alarm too." Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll update you if anything changes.

douglasjre likes this.
  10. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Ding, Ding, Ding. I have the answer. It's the Bluetooth phone interface. I configured my Samsung phone to pair to the car months ago, but I almost never use it. The car decided it wasn't happy with the connection; something had gone stale or timed out. It was trying to tell me by sending a warning beep every 45 seconds. I still can't get the phone to pair correctly, but at least the beep has gone away.

A text message on my AV screen would have done wonders. Maybe by 2025 cars will be able to do that. Toyota, are you listening?

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for closing the loop

13. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Speaking of this beep. Has anyone experienced phantom rear passengers when driving alone? 2020 Prime here, and I noticed occasionally it will show the 3 people seat belt light on the top dash as if someone is back there for a few min of driving, then go away. Nothing is on the seat.

14. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I see the three seat belt lights on at first start briefly, as part of the normal light check. I'll pay attention next time. And then after I get where I'm going, park, vehicle off, start again to go home, those three seat belt lights stay on for maybe 45 seconds to a minute before turning off. Calibrating maybe? I don't recall if it makes a difference if someone is seated back there. Something else to pay attention too.

15. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Good question. I’m going out in a bit I’ll check. A couple times i *think*’ I have seen the 3 phantom ghosts pop up well into a drive - but not always paying attention.

my Prime is haunted. :)

kithmo and AzWxGuy like this.
  16. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So it appears I can get the 3 person ghost icon to come on for certain when either the EV/ICE is running, I get out and open either rear door, close it, then get back in the drivers seat and start driving. Have been able to get it to do that a few times. Still haven’t replicated the 3 person ghost icon during a normal trip though.